Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 29 Jul 2008 (Tuesday) 06:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DNG Format

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 29, 2008 06:48 |  #1

Given the recent developments to the DNG format I'm curious to know what objections still remain to converting RAW files to DNG.

Recent changes include:
Development of DNG version 1.2
Submission of DNG 1.2 to ISO for certification as an open standard
The newly released DNG Profile Editor

Now, with the release of Lightroom 2, ACR 4.5 and the ability to use camera-specific profiles that more closely replicate the colors produced by DPP it seems to me that DNG is a more preferable method if you have a workflow centered around Adobe software.

Personally I've used an entirely DNG workflow since the initial publication of the DNG specs in 2004 because it simplified post-processing for multiple camera systems (I've shot Olympus, Canon and occasionally Nikon in the past few years). With the new profiles available now I'll be taking a fresh look at some of my older images to see if they are worth reworking.

Gear List

sponsored links
davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 29, 2008 06:54 |  #2

For, me its too early to decide. If after some time, I start realizing I have no desire to process the images elsewhere (like DPP), I may give it a go.

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

PixelMagic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 29, 2008 07:00 |  #3

That makes sense; but since I never really was a fan of DPP and only used it out of absolute necessity I'm happy to see these new developments in DNG. At least I don't think I'll get that occasional twinge of regret over not saving my CR2 files.

davidcrebelxt wrote in post #6005775 (external link)
For, me its too early to decide. If after some time, I start realizing I have no desire to process the images elsewhere (like DPP), I may give it a go.

Gear List

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 29, 2008 07:10 |  #4

I back up my CR2 files seperate from my DNGs now. Might as well keep doing that untill I'm sure DNG is the way to go.

Otherwise I'd have to backup a duplicate of the DNG ;)
iView gets rid of the xmp file for IPTC, so the only thing I'd miss when I loose the DNG (biggie though) is the actual changes made to the file.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 29, 2008 12:29 |  #5

BTW:

If you convert to DNG inside of LR... what happens? Does it get rid of your .cr2 for you in the process? (I don't want to embed .cr2 either.)

I may end up playing around a bit with .dng... I wrote it off awhile back for my workflow... but these new profiles appear good enough that I may try .DNG with newly shot images before going back and mucking around with older images in my library... plus, since I've basically been pleased with Rawtherapee as a secondary (or third) editor, its development is progressing, and it handles .dng... it may eventually push me over the edge!

David C.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 29, 2008 12:35 |  #6

I have been using DNG since LR 1 was released. I hate XMP files after a huge debacle of moved files outside of Bridge when I was using CS2. I don't want to go through that again.

davidcrebelxt wrote in post #6007295 (external link)
BTW:

If you convert to DNG inside of LR... what happens? Does it get rid of your .cr2 for you in the process? (I don't want to embed .cr2 either.)

I may end up playing around a bit with .dng... I wrote it off awhile back for my workflow... but these new profiles appear good enough that I may try .DNG with newly shot images before going back and mucking around with older images in my library.

You choose the preferences in LR IIRC. You can choose to embed or discard the CR2 and what size preview you would like as well.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 29, 2008 14:48 |  #7

One more question:

What settings do you guys find best during conversion, and any gotchas?

Jpeg preview size...
File extension... (compatibility problems?)
Image conversion method...
Compressed (lossless)... (slower access times?)

Thanks.

David C.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jul 29, 2008 17:37 |  #8

All at the default over here:

preview medium, lossless compression, Preserve RAW, don't embed CR2.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 29, 2008 17:46 |  #9

I'm a DNG user mainly because I don't want to use the sidecar files. One less thing to worry about.

Paul
Blog (external link) | Gear (external link) | Gallery (external link)
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

PixelMagic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 29, 2008 18:08 |  #10

My approach is slightly different. I use Downloader Pro to import my images from the card reader to my hard drive. DL Pro has options to call the standalone Adobe DNG Converter either during the importation process or after importation is completed. I have it set up to automatically create DNG files after import and to move them to a dated folder on my dedicated Photos drive. From there I just import the DNG files into Lightroom and discard the CR2 files.

Gear List

sponsored links

1,253 views & 0 likes for this thread
DNG Format
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.