Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 29 Jul 2008 (Tuesday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Credit Sure Buys a Lot of Gear

tiktaalik
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 29, 2008 20:47 |  #1

Well, it finally happened to me. A small magazine wanted to use one of my pictures on their cover and would credit me as I wish. Oh, be still my beating heart. A freaking cover and only a stinking credit?

I'll admit that I'm feeling even more negative about the whole thing as I completely disagree with the magazine goals to begin with. (And further discussion would be outside the policies of POTN.) Heck, I doubt I'd even sell it to them, but still the nerve.

This is the photo. Not really cover quality IMO.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

Julie
My galleries (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=1330884&po​stcount=56

sponsored links
DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 29, 2008 21:22 |  #2

Magazine covers are a different style of photography than conventional (sic) photography.

This photo may be just what they need to illustrate an article they are running or some event they're sponsoring.

Being so small, it's hard to get a real feel for the quality, but placement of Logo and "headlines" take away a lot of unused space on the photo.

As far as getting just a credit, I say Go For It. You can always use the cover as an example of your work, a reference, and an opportunity to show off to those cousins that think they shoot better than you.

Here's my example,

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

tiktaalik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 29, 2008 21:26 |  #3

DAMphyne wrote in post #6010170 (external link)
As far as getting just a credit, I say Go For It. You can always use the cover as an example of your work, a reference, and an opportunity to show off to those cousins that think they shoot better than you.

Well, as I said, I strongly disagree with the goals and opinions of the magazine and don't want my name anywhere near it.

(Nice cover, BTW)

Julie

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Jul 29, 2008 21:34 |  #4

I missed the part about the mag not being your taste, I agree with you, don't let them use it.
As far as the photo goes, you can see what I mean, yours would be a usable photo.
And I do think 'credit' can be good, in the right situation.
I enjoyed this cover, the credit got me some other work, not bird photography related.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

Milner
336 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 30, 2008 09:17 |  #5

tiktaalik wrote in post #6010190 (external link)
Well, as I said, I strongly disagree with the goals and opinions of the magazine and don't want my name anywhere near it.

(Nice cover, BTW)

Stick by your principles!
Also, Credit only for a cover is unacceptable! The cover is what they bank on to sell magazines on the rack.

If the MUST have it and were willing to pay, jack up the price, request your name not be used, and donate the proceeds to the opposing camp. One you do support:D But I do understand, there are some organizations I would not sell to at any price.

Shooting for covers is a whole different game. When I am out for a cover shot I have to constantly make myself recompose a shot. It is not natural, rules are out the window....Got to leave space for this, that, and the other....

TOYS, Enjoy your life everyday!!!!
Camera suff: 40D, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L non-is, 24-70L, nifty 50, Tokina 11-16, ex580 X2, A2 for that icky film stuff. Lights=Photogenic 1250's x2 and Norman ml400 x2.
Cars: 73 Bronco Buggy, 95 F250 PSD, 06 Liberty CRD, 49 Studebaker PU

tiktaalik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 30, 2008 10:17 |  #6

Milner wrote in post #6012933 (external link)
Stick by your principles!
Also, Credit only for a cover is unacceptable! The cover is what they bank on to sell magazines on the rack.

I would probably feel differently if this were a local neighborhood publication or a tiny magazine produced by folks I know, but this magazine definitely should have a budget for cover photos, even if is small.

If the MUST have it and were willing to pay, jack up the price, request your name not be used, and donate the proceeds to the opposing camp. One you do support:D But I do understand, there are some organizations I would not sell to at any price.

Yep, they are definitely an organization that I cannot support in any way, shape, or form, even if it's just a picture.

Julie

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2008 10:21 |  #7

What an intriguing question... what magazine could you possibly hate so much that would want a picture of a lizard on the cover?

(apologies to the actual reptile who may or may not be a lizard)

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

steved110
Cream of the Crop
5,776 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 30, 2008 10:24 as a reply to  @ TheHoff's post |  #8

The Hoff has a point - we're all intrigued. you've gotta tell us!

Canon 6D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 , Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L Canon EF 24-70 f/4 IS L and 70-200 f/4 L :D
Speedlite 580EX and some bags'n pods'n stuff

tiktaalik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 30, 2008 10:28 |  #9

TheHoff wrote in post #6013305 (external link)
What an intriguing question... what magazine could you possibly hate so much that would want a picture of a lizard on the cover?

They are extremely anti-science and the photo, of a marine iguana from the Galapagos Islands, would be used to distort the realities of the Islands and what can be learned from them.

I'm dancing around forum rules here, but if that doesn't answer the question, a small hint is to be found in my nickname, and a bigger one from the name of the magazine left in my Pbase comment area for the picture. Yes, it's one of my hot-button issues.

(apologies to the actual reptile who may or may not be a lizard)

It is a lizard - the only sea-going one in the world.

Julie

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2008 10:29 |  #10

Ah I thought it might be something like that ;) Good for you, I'd tell them to stick their credit into their well-designed eye.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 30, 2008 10:31 |  #11

TheHoff wrote in post #6013356 (external link)
Ah I thought it might be something like that ;) Good for you, I'd tell them to stick their credit into their well-designed eye.

:lol::lol:

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

hughps
165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 30, 2008 10:31 |  #12

stick their credit into their well-designed eye.

lol

Hugh

steved110
Cream of the Crop
5,776 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 30, 2008 10:37 |  #13

We are all right behind you, yelling and waving sticks on your behalf!

Good for you!

Canon 6D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 , Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L Canon EF 24-70 f/4 IS L and 70-200 f/4 L :D
Speedlite 580EX and some bags'n pods'n stuff

tiktaalik
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 30, 2008 10:39 |  #14

Thanks everyone :)

Julie

Milner
336 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Jul 30, 2008 16:52 |  #15

Milner wrote in post #6012933 (external link)
If the MUST have it and were willing to pay, jack up the price, request your name not be used, and donate the proceeds to the opposing camp.

Scratch that:oops: Just looked at you PBASE. I understanding;)
You have some great shots!

TOYS, Enjoy your life everyday!!!!
Camera suff: 40D, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L non-is, 24-70L, nifty 50, Tokina 11-16, ex580 X2, A2 for that icky film stuff. Lights=Photogenic 1250's x2 and Norman ml400 x2.
Cars: 73 Bronco Buggy, 95 F250 PSD, 06 Liberty CRD, 49 Studebaker PU

sponsored links

2,128 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Credit Sure Buys a Lot of Gear
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.