Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Jul 2008 (Wednesday) 12:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New lens

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 30, 2008 12:53 |  #1

I got my new 85mm 1.8 lens today. As I was bring the 'box' into the house, my wife asked what that was. After I told her it was the lens I told her earlier I was ordering, she said she did not understand why I needed all those lens. (I shoot sports).

It's not like I have a 400mm in my bag. She thinks I only need one, maybe two lens. (One being a kit lens).

Guess it will be awhile before I can place another order.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

sponsored links
TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2008 12:56 |  #2

Since the next lens you should get probably costs > $4000 I think you're safe for a while :)

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 30, 2008 12:58 |  #3

You should have told her that you are collecting empty lens boxes. They have real value since not everyone thinks of keeping them. Then, only let her see 1 or 2 lenses at a time.

GEAR LIST

Dave ­ Ringkor
46 posts
Joined May 2007

Jul 30, 2008 14:33 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #4

Ask her why she needs all those pairs of shoes. Seriously! I have a pair of sneakers, a pair of brown business casual shoes, and a pair of black dress shoes. That's enough! Now, you don't have to understand why she needs dozens of pairs of shoes. You just have to tell her she looks good when you go out. Likewise, she doesn't have to understand why you need all those lenses (which likely cost less overall than her shoes). She just has to tell you that your photos look good!

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon Speedlite 430EX | Retina MacBook Pro 15"

DavidSR
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 30, 2008 14:42 |  #5

Dave Ringkor wrote in post #6014649 (external link)
Ask her why she needs all those pairs of shoes.

She will just say that her shoes don't cost over $100 for the pair!!! Trust me..I know mine will :( lol...

T4i, 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 50mm 1.8, 3 Vivitar 285HV's and a set of Cactus V5 Triggers!!
flickr (external link)

lauderdalems
THREAD ­ STARTER
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 30, 2008 14:58 |  #6

Ya right, shoes won't work. And the other thing, she has a birthday next month while mine is 4 months away.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 30, 2008 15:08 |  #7

That was your mistake. Never let the wife see the box.:lol:

lauderdalems wrote in post #6014133 (external link)
I got my new 85mm 1.8 lens today. As I was bring the 'box' into the house, my wife asked what that was. After I told her it was the lens I told her earlier I was ordering, she said she did not understand why I needed all those lens. (I shoot sports).

It's not like I have a 400mm in my bag. She thinks I only need one, maybe two lens. (One being a kit lens).

Guess it will be awhile before I can place another order.

Cobra351
Goldmember
2,996 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Jul 30, 2008 15:36 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #8

Congrats on the new lens! I think next you should go ahead and buy the Canon 800mm next. Then, after you tell her how much it was (and when all the ensuing excitement wears down :rolleyes:) you could offer to sell it and buy something cheaper. Then sell it and buy a few more lenses, which of course will all be MUCH cheaper than the 800. Would this plan work?! :lol:

Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 40D - Infrared Modified (www.lifepixel.com (external link))
Canon Lenses: 17-40, 24-105 f/4 IS, 100 2.8 IS Macro, TS-E 90, 70-200 f/4 IS, 100-400 IS
Canon EF25 II , EF 1.4x II

Smith & Wesson M&P 340CT .357 Magnum

lauderdalems
THREAD ­ STARTER
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 30, 2008 15:48 |  #9

Cobra351 wrote in post #6015021 (external link)
Congrats on the new lens! I think next you should go ahead and buy the Canon 800mm next. Then, after you tell her how much it was (and when all the ensuing excitement wears down :rolleyes:) you could offer to sell it and buy something cheaper. Then sell it and buy a few more lenses, which of course will all be MUCH cheaper than the 800. Would this plan work?! :lol:

Hmmmmmmm, may need to take idea under consideration.........

SoccerRef
Goldmember
1,925 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jul 30, 2008 15:52 |  #10

nicksan wrote in post #6014862 (external link)
That was your mistake. Never let the wife see the box.:lol:

There is some truth to that... I had a box in the Living Room last week.

My wife said, "What did you buy now?"

I then told her "Nothing, that is actually the lens that I am selling. I replaced it with that lens I bought last month."

Now I am not advocating Lying to your wife, but I bought an $800 lens and I sold a $150 lens. To my wife, however, I bought one and sold one. See, I am NOT addicted to my hobby!

Next, I'll buy another cheap lens. "YES, I'm adding to my collection, BUT it's only a $150 lens..."

and so the cycle goes...

SoccerRef - PergerPhotography.com (external link) - SUPPORT POTN HERE (external link)My Canon Gear - 7D, Gripped 40D, Gripped 20D, SD780IS, EFS 17-85 f/4.0-5.6 IS, EF 28-135 IS, 420EX
My Sigma Gear - 70-200 f2.8, 28-70mm f2.8 EX DG
Next in Line
- 5D, or Mark IIn

Kristy
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 30, 2008 15:53 |  #11

If you add up how much she spends on having her hair cut/colored, and nails, skin care products, and la-di-daddy make up... I bet she spends more annualy than you do on the lenses... So just tell her that since your gender does not require you to spend stupid amounts of money on self-care, you are balancing the scales, by spending your portion on lenses.... LOL....

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin
Kristy :D 5D MkIII, 24-70 / f2.8 L, 2 AB800's, and some modifiers.
My Website Page (external link)
My Flickr Page (external link)

sjlund
568 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 30, 2008 15:53 |  #12

SoccerRef wrote in post #6015090 (external link)

I then told her "Nothing, that is actually the lens that I am selling. I replaced it with that lens I bought last month."

Now I am not advocating Lying to your wife, but I bought an $800 lens and I sold a $150 lens. To my wife, however, I bought one and sold one. See, I am NOT addicted to my hobby!

Next, I'll buy another cheap lens. "YES, I'm adding to my collection, BUT it's only a $150 lens..."

and so the cycle goes...

Brilliant!

Gear List

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2008 15:54 |  #13

I'm impressed.

SoccerRef wrote in post #6015090 (external link)

and so the cycle goes...

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

sigmonster
82 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 30, 2008 15:55 |  #14

she said she did not understand why I needed all those lens. (I shoot sports).

Ask her why she needs so many handbags and pairs of shoes:lol:

Mark parkinson.
Canon 40D & 10D Sigma,12-24,24-70,120-300 & 300-800.

Kristy
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 30, 2008 15:55 |  #15

Dave Ringkor wrote in post #6014649 (external link)
Ask her why she needs all those pairs of shoes. Seriously! I have a pair of sneakers, a pair of brown business casual shoes, and a pair of black dress shoes. That's enough! Now, you don't have to understand why she needs dozens of pairs of shoes. You just have to tell her she looks good when you go out. Likewise, she doesn't have to understand why you need all those lenses (which likely cost less overall than her shoes). She just has to tell you that your photos look good!

ps.... we need shoes.... sandals, heels, flip flops, work out shoes, casual tennis shoes, platform sandals... we definitely NEED them!

Be glad you are men and don't have to rationalize your shoes, hair cuts, AND lenses/camera gear.... YIKES!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin
Kristy :D 5D MkIII, 24-70 / f2.8 L, 2 AB800's, and some modifiers.
My Website Page (external link)
My Flickr Page (external link)

sponsored links

2,210 views & 0 likes for this thread
New lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.