Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 31 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 11:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I getting hustled?

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 31, 2008 11:21 |  #1

So I am new to photography, but I did my homework and I know the ins and outs of what I am buying at least:

I was originally shopping around online for the canon 24-70 2.8L and 70-200mm 4.0L (Non IS) along with a 40D, I come along a website(Who will not be named unless I find out that I AM being hustled for sure that has these lenses along with the camera for 2400$, so I think "right on" and order up.

I get an e-mail telling me to call in and "confirm" so I do, and all of a suddon I am talking to an ex-car salesman or something, he confirms my order and the conversation goes like this:

Him: So are you new to photography?
Me: Yeah sure am.
Him: Well you know these lenses arnt digital right?
Me: Huh? What does that mean?
Him: It means they dont auto focus with the canon cameras, you need to get digital lenses.
Me: Well, it says they have Autofocus on the website
Him: Well these arnt actual canon lenses, they are vivicon(or something like that, he says they are knock off lenses of the real canon L lenses.)
Me: Huh? (They are labeled exactly like this on my order: 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Autofocus Lens Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF Lens and 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Autofocus Lens JUST without the Canon in front of them)
*He then proceeds to go through this whole thing about it costing 2800$ with the "digital" lenses and how amazing of a deal it is compared to other websites and I even get an amazing tripod and 4GB of memory and how hes in business to make money blah blah blah
Me: Well, your website totally mislead me and I am going to have to put my order on hold then because I want to make sure I am getting the right stuff at a price that I want....
Another long drawn out car salesman tangent again and we say goodbye right after he tells me to check some other websites and call him back.

I have searched the internet high and low for these knock off L line lenses with the exact measurements as the real deal and the closest I can come is with the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8, but that says nothing about being an L lens.

What do you guys think? Do I need to rat this company out to the entire internet?

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

sponsored links
inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,562 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 31, 2008 11:28 |  #2

Dude, there's tons of info. on these scam sites, right here, on this site. Also, check www.resellerratings.co​m (external link) or www.pricegrabber.com (external link) for info. on specific online retailers.

Your best bet is to go with real places, like www.buydig.com (external link), beachcamera.com, Bhphotovideo.com, adorama.com, 17photo.com, calumet.com, and canoga.com. Bait and switch tactics suck, but, this is how they lure people in.

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 31, 2008 11:38 |  #3

It's a con.

He's advertised these as "L" lenses. Canon are the only ones that make "L" lenses.

Ditch him and buy from someone more reputable.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Kento
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 31, 2008 11:42 as a reply to  @ Mike's post |  #4

Yep, thanks guys, thanks for that reputation website, these guys are friggen frauds... WWW.FOTOCONNECTION.COM (external link) STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.resellerrat​ings.com …/FotoConnection​_1#reviews (external link)

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,562 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 31, 2008 11:47 |  #5

Yeap. Name says it all.

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

LeeSC
816 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jul 31, 2008 12:16 as a reply to  @ inthedeck's post |  #6

If you have already given them your CC# I would recommend calling your company and having them blocked and/or the number changed.

GEAR

Kento
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 31, 2008 12:38 |  #7

LeeSC wrote in post #6020368 (external link)
If you have already given them your CC# I would recommend calling your company and having them blocked and/or the number changed.

Already did that as soon as I read some of those horror stories on the other website.

Funny thing was I called the FRAUD department at my bank, they tell me "well we cant stop the transaction, even if they havent tried to access the funds yet" God I was pissed when I heard that, so I had to break down and cancle my card completely out before they charged me, sent me the wrong crap, and charged me 15% for a "restocking" fee. wham bam, thank you ma'am F-off fotoconnection.com

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

Jeff
Goldmember
1,450 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 31, 2008 13:14 |  #8

Hope you caught it in time.

Jeff
70D | Tokina 12-24 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon 28-135 IS| 430EX
Astrophotograpy: QHY9M, Optolong LRGB filters, Meade 10" SCT, Orion EON 110mm APO, Atlas EQ-G to keep it all off the ground.
MY AIRPLANE PICS (external link) | MY ASTRO PICS (external link)

SOT
I make up stuff about Cameras
915 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 31, 2008 14:30 |  #9

Total scam...the way he knew you were "new" into photography...you placed an order with them....run away...fast...

http://img81.imageshac​k.us/img81/8646/captur​e1o.jpg (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 31, 2008 15:12 as a reply to  @ SOT's post |  #10

The fact that they required you to call back for confirmation was a dead giveaway. Common tactic used by these friggin' crooks.

Buy safe from reputable shops like B&H, Adorama, Beach, Amazon...

::John::
Cream of the Crop
8,548 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jul 31, 2008 15:14 |  #11

Looks like you got the 'warning' in time before really getting sucked in by those 'people' ;)

Welcome to POTN and we're glad we were able to help you.

SOT
I make up stuff about Cameras
915 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 31, 2008 18:09 |  #12

nicksan wrote in post #6021407 (external link)
The fact that they required you to call back for confirmation was a dead giveaway. Common tactic used by these friggin' crooks.

Buy safe from reputable shops like B&H, Adorama, Beach, Amazon...

That's not entirely true. Depending on the size of your order and where you are shipping things to, B&H and Beach both make you call to confirm.
I've had it happen a couple times...never got pressure to buy anything, just a call to confirm I was me and that I was actually ordering stuff.

http://img81.imageshac​k.us/img81/8646/captur​e1o.jpg (external link)

Halliday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 01, 2008 00:45 |  #13

It's a hustle.

lanceshuey.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
"Like a mechanic who forgets to wipe his hands on a shop rag and then goes home, hugs his wife, and gets a grease stain on her favorite sweater — love touches you, and marks you forever."

zeva
Goldmember
2,533 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 01, 2008 03:45 |  #14

one day when i have alot of time i m gonna call them just to mess with them lol

40D :20D: Speedlite 430ex
100-400 F/4.5-5.6 L :17-55 F/2.8 IS :28-135 F/3.5-5.6 IS: 18-55 F/3.5-5.6: 10-22 F/3.5-4.5: 70-200 F/2.8 IS

Persephone
Goldmember
1,122 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 01, 2008 12:07 |  #15

Kento wrote in post #6020155 (external link)
Yep, thanks guys, thanks for that reputation website, these guys are friggen frauds... WWW.FOTOCONNECTION.COM (external link) STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.resellerrat​ings.com …/FotoConnection​_1#reviews (external link)

Darn.

They're selling the G9 new for about $30 cheaper than other places, but there isn't a single positive reviewer, so...

Gear list
"Do you think it was my choice to wed a man I did not love? Live a life I did not choose? I was betrayed by the very gods that once saw me as their own. But no more." - Περσεφόνη (external link), God of War

sponsored links

1,425 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I getting hustled?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.