Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 31 Jul 2008 (Thursday) 20:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Female model in workshop

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jul 31, 2008 20:01 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

This was taken in the basement of my studio. My studio is in a old fill factory building, and the basement has some excellent locations to shoot in. Here are a few more. All were shot with tungsten constant lighting through diffusers.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

And we can't forget the ladies ;) This is shot in the same area with a different model.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

sponsored links
FocalPrincess
Cream of the Crop
8,223 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 31, 2008 20:34 |  #2

Other than the last one being reallllllllly dark on my monitor (whereas the others look fine) I like the last one the very best. ;) Your studio does look intriguing!

Blog (external link) | Galleries (external link)http://www.dbimpressio​ns.com (external link) "The artist is nothing without the gift, but the
gift is nothing without work." ~ Emile Zola

CTM
433 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 31, 2008 21:33 |  #3

Very cool shots, your studio is rather mysterious! I like the tungsten light used! Last picture is my pick.

Gear List

rmr21
Goldmember
1,938 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 31, 2008 21:36 as a reply to  @ CTM's post |  #4

Well being one of the ladies, I do like the last one quite a bit. :P The others are really nice too. :)

dreid
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Jul 31, 2008 21:53 as a reply to  @ rmr21's post |  #5

Very nice shots. I agree that the last one is a bit dark, but I understand what you were going for. The others are a bit too warm for my taste but it's a personal thing. Nice shots again.

azpix
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Jul 31, 2008 22:06 |  #6

#2 is superb

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

Kauaicrazed
778 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 31, 2008 23:02 |  #7

Very nice. The last one is a bit dark for me as well.

reefergal
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 01, 2008 01:30 |  #8

I like the lighting in the last one, nice shot.

alvinpaul
60 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 01, 2008 01:57 |  #9

The last one is quiet neat!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II | Canon EOS 30D | EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM | EF 50 f/1.4 USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 16-35 f/2.8L II IS USM | 580 EX II
Family Gallery (external link) | I Lyk (external link) | PiNoY enPSYCHoLoKoPeDia (external link) | Executive Housewife (external link) | Flickr (external link)

joeyserver
145 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 01, 2008 04:24 |  #10

Great lighting. I've always admired your work. Nice dramatic feel to these. How powerful were your lights?

I like the dimensionality your lighting gives to the images.

SDavis ­ Photo
269 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 01, 2008 07:38 |  #11

The frist 3 seem to have a bit tomuch light I would have liked them more if they were darker like the last one. But they all are very good.

5D, 60D, Canon 17-55mm 1:2.8 IS, 70-300mm F/4-5.6 L, 24-105mm f/1:4 L IS, EF 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 105mm 2:8 Macro, Tokina 11-16mm ATX Pro DX II, Canon 580SX II, two 430ex's and lots of filters

sfaust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 01, 2008 16:45 |  #12

Thanks for all the comments.

I usually find some will prefer the darker tones, while others will prefer the lighter one. Whats hard for me when I hear those comments, is that I usually wonder if my monitor is out of calibration, and the images are actually darker than I intended. Its so subjective, and not everyones monitors are calibrated.

What I was going for in the last one, was a good shot of the model with good definition of his arms, chest, etc, and highlights off the machinery with deep shadows. Hopefully thats what shows.

#2 and #3 are lighter than intended, and should be closer to what is seen in #1. But all three lighter than the last.

Thanks again for the comments.

Stephen

plattepro
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 01, 2008 18:28 |  #13

Last one rocks - but is a little dark on my monitor too. Excellent setting

Sally
60D

Apshiso
458 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 03, 2008 13:31 as a reply to  @ plattepro's post |  #14

All I can say is - I'm gonna let you bring the models next time!!

I just couldn't seem to get comfortable with the model we had that day you came to do our workshop - I mean, I just don't think she was model material. But she was a local hired by one of the other shooters. I had not worked with before - not your fault at all.

Just like any other genre of photography - the subject has to hold interest - I think some models (male or female) do - and some don't. Nice images Steve - thanks for sharing.

Think about NOT using the word "retarded" in a derogatory manner - it insults those who cannot defend themselves - and hurts the ones who love them. Please see: http://www.r-word.org/ (external link)

sfaust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 03, 2008 14:39 |  #15

Apshiso wrote in post #6038328 (external link)
All I can say is - I'm gonna let you bring the models next time!!

I just couldn't seem to get comfortable with the model we had that day you came to do our workshop - I mean, I just don't think she was model material. But she was a local hired by one of the other shooters. I had not worked with before - not your fault at all.

Just like any other genre of photography - the subject has to hold interest - I think some models (male or female) do - and some don't. Nice images Steve - thanks for sharing.

I do think the models we had that day were ok, and don't think they had much experience which was part of the issue. They did serve the intended purpose, but I think a more experienced model would have brought more to the table.

I usually like to hire the models, and try to bring in ones I've worked with before and know their experience and limitations. I'm hiring the models for the Boston workshop, and all are very good, and I'm pleased with all of them. Should be a good workshop!

Stephen

sponsored links

3,677 views & 0 likes for this thread
Female model in workshop
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.