Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Aug 2008 (Sunday) 10:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe Elements vs CS3?

Point-n-shoot-n
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 03, 2008 10:22 |  #1

Hi, I am a basic newbie at this digital photo stuff although I have done quite a bit of film shooting in the past. I guess the question I have is whether I would benefit from having the CS3 or similar program for my image editing. I currently have the Adobe Elements 5.0 and have just gotten into the layers portion of PP. I have been able to get some nice results although I have just scratched the surface of the capabilities of the program. I am looking to do some more advanced skin smoothing and I believe the program I have does a fair job but some of the things I have seen on this forum are almost unbelievable! Are the capabilities of the more expensive programs the reason for the difference or is it the capabilities of the human that is directing the edits? One last question is how much should I expect to spend on a full version of CS3? Thanks for any and all input!

Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Canon 200 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

sponsored links
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 03, 2008 10:33 |  #2

I've got CS2 and Elements 5. I almost never use CS2. PSE5 does more than I am capable of. I don't do much skin smoothing though. Don't know if CS3 would be better for that or not.

You can download a free trial of CS3 from Adobe to try it.

http://www.adobe.com/d​ownloads/ (external link)

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

Point-n-shoot-n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 03, 2008 11:54 |  #3

Thanks for the reply! I will do that! Anybody who has used both programs have any other input?

Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Canon 200 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,251 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 03, 2008 12:00 |  #4

I have CS3 and elements 4.
Like Derek said above, Elements does almost everything.

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

Calicajun
Goldmember
2,909 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 03, 2008 12:28 as a reply to  @ tomd's post |  #5

I have CS2, PSP10, PS Elements 4 and MS Photo Suite 2006 and use CS2 the least. Of course that could be because I haven't learn all of what CS2 can do for editing.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

PBest78
164 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 03, 2008 12:30 as a reply to  @ Calicajun's post |  #6

Another vote for Elements, I've got CS3 but always seem to use elements 6 instead.

Peter

Schumi
93 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 03, 2008 12:52 |  #7

I cant open my raw files in cs3 for some reason. I am getting "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document" Anyone know why I get this?

I have tried opening as camera raw.. with no luck

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 03, 2008 12:58 |  #8

Schumi wrote in post #6038151 (external link)
I cant open my raw files in cs3 for some reason. I am getting "could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document" Anyone know why I get this?

I have tried opening as camera raw.. with no luck

Have you been able to open them before?

Do you have the latest version of ACR?
http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=3942 (external link)

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

Schumi
93 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 03, 2008 13:21 |  #9

DDCSD wrote in post #6038183 (external link)
Have you been able to open them before?

Do you have the latest version of ACR?
http://www.adobe.com …ads/detail.jsp?​ftpID=3942 (external link)

I havent tried opening raw files yet, but I guess it has always been like this.
I will check out your link, thanks :)

crazyseany
79 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 03, 2008 19:15 |  #10

I have PSE 6. I couldn't justify the $650 for cs3 as I too am a beginer.

I've played a little but haven't done a ton on it yet. I bought the book missing manuel and it says you can do most stuff you will ever need to in elements. there was something about a format that elements does not support that is used in commercial printing that CS has.

I know I'm not much help.... sorry lol

sean

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 03, 2008 19:28 |  #11

I use Lightroom and Elements 6. My upgrade cost to LR 2 was $84 (Full price is a bit high at $299) and the cost of Elements 6 is about $70. These two programs do all that I need to do including making posters. I may be wrong but feel that CS3 is more for the full time graphic artist.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 04, 2008 10:50 as a reply to  @ Mike R's post |  #12

Learn using Elements and then when you are ready for advanced work, move to Photoshop. I am very happy I started that way would do it again in heartbeat.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 04, 2008 12:17 |  #13

bwolford wrote in post #6044037 (external link)
Learn using Elements and then when you are ready for advanced work, move to Photoshop. I am very happy I started that way would do it again in heartbeat.

Couldn't agree more.

CS3 definitely has its benefits, no doubt. Question for OP is: if you are a new at post processing, are you going to get your $650 worth before the next version comes out? When the time comes, there is an upgrade path from Elements to CS3 that will recoup most of your Elements cost... and you may have delayed yourself CS3 to CS4 to CS5 upgrade costs to boot!

(They even have specials from time to time for Elements users to upgrade to CSx for $299... that's a signifigcant savings over buying CS3 standalone ($400 for combined Elements & CS3 purchases vs. $650 for CS3 outright)

[disclaimer: you should probably never COUNT on those offers to be available or to be continued practice... that all depends on Adobe marketing department.]

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

sponsored links

1,392 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe Elements vs CS3?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.