Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Aug 2008 (Tuesday) 14:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AI servo/AI focus

shutter_blitz
308 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 05, 2008 14:39 |  #1

I will shooting a fire spinning show tonight. I am planning on using AI servo, as the spinners are constantly moving and dancing. Or should I just let the camera do it with AI focus?
The venue is open air, dark. The spinners will mainly be lit by the fire, which is bright enough to lock focus and provide contrast.
If I set AF mode to AI focus and the camera kicks in AI servo once the object starts moving, after the shot is taken, is the AF mode reset to AI focus?

Gear:
Canon 50D
EF 50mm f1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
Sunpak 383
Quantaray QSX-9500

sponsored links
poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 05, 2008 17:05 |  #2

Use AI Servo.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

Vacation
89 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 05, 2008 17:07 |  #3

I don't know the correct answer but I would go with AI Servio...I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want the focus to follow the subject in case it moves.

If someone knows the answer please let me know.

Canon 5D Mark ii :mrgreen:, Canon 30D Canon 20D 50mm 1.4, 16-35 Canon L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 100-400L 24-105 IS L Pocket Wizards 580EX2, 580EX

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 05, 2008 17:26 |  #4

AI Focus sucks -- go with AI Servo.

Dave Hoffmann

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 05, 2008 17:44 |  #5

AI servo is for objects that are moving at a constant speed relative to the camera. Use one shot. I've photographed fire jugglers a few times before, always on one shot, it worked fine. Focus and shoot quickly before they move too much.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

chrishunt
Goldmember
1,899 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 05, 2008 18:08 |  #6

I agree with Tim. AI servo doesn't work well in poor lighting, and it does even worse when the subject is moving sporadically.

I'd use single shot with the center focus point only. Focus before every shot.

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 05, 2008 20:09 |  #7

Learned something here. Thanks Tim.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

rral22
885 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 05, 2008 20:20 as a reply to  @ poloman's post |  #8

I would think seriously of manual focus in really dim light. I would figure out an aperture that would give me just enough depth of field and then experiment with manual focus.

If the subject movement is not very "deep" you will likely find you have to make very small adjustments, and will be more accurate yourself. Sometimes in "dark" environments, if the camera loses focus, it may search badly for a few seconds. You are smarter than that, and will likely get even more keepers.

shutter_blitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 06, 2008 09:44 |  #9

Thanks, all. I used one-shot AF, lens was set to AF. Results were pretty good, although had to use slow shutter and so a lot of blurring can be see.

Gear:
Canon 50D
EF 50mm f1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
Sunpak 383
Quantaray QSX-9500

sponsored links

1,422 views & 0 likes for this thread
AI servo/AI focus
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.