Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Aug 2008 (Thursday) 19:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I want to buy a film SLR AND FILM

flyboy89
100 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 07, 2008 19:06 |  #1

I saw the post about the Elan IIE and how cool it was, I agree it does look cool, and it shouldn't be too expensive. Right now I have a 30D and 2 EF-S Lenses and my 50mm f1.8. I know that I can only use the 50mm on the film but that is fine with me. I want some advice on other cameras to consider that are at or slightly lower than equivalent to the 30D. I also don't know if walmart or other places even sell film anymore. Do you just buy a roll of film like any other 35 point and shoot, or is there certain film I should be buying. (Not talking about ISO)

Also how am I supposed to have it processed, should I just drop it off at a photo lab and scan the returned negatives myself (hp scanner is all I have) or what?

I really want to try to move into this world of not know how the pictures came out :P
Thanks for the help guys.

sponsored links
kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 07, 2008 19:10 |  #2

Well, I have a film EOS 650 for sale on the sell board...if you're interested send me an email/private message and we'll work something out......yes, wallyworld does sell film...and they will process it, no prints and put the images on a CD for ya...
Good luck and enjoy...

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 07, 2008 19:11 |  #3

The point of film is to do everything yourself, like RAW. You can scan it and get some out of it, but won't be nearly as good (if the lab is good, shouldn't be too much of an issue, but walgreens type and you'll be in for a surprise).

Don't expect it to become your main camera though, it'll be far too expensive. Film costs+developing costs if my XT had been a k2 would have been close to 10k. Digital is just so much cheaper.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

flyboy89
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 07, 2008 19:18 as a reply to  @ basroil's post |  #4

Man it really would be neat to be able to do all the processing, but my 9' x 9' could never hold a darkroom. I don't think my university has one either :/

Still can you give me some estimates on how much that stuff WOULD cost? Like producing 50 exposures? Printing maybe 4 of them? preferably 8" x 10"

Lacks_focus
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 07, 2008 20:34 as a reply to  @ flyboy89's post |  #5

I used to buy film in bulk on eBay and store it in the freezer. You can still buy film locally! I haven't done it in more than two years, but it was $3 to $5 for a roll for consumer film. The good stuff is more, of course. My favorite was Fuji Reala ISO 100. If you want to get the film developed and then scanned to a CD at "normal res" using the discount stores, you're looking at $5 to $8. Towards the end, I just had the film developed at Wal-Mart. They charged me $2.00 a roll. I then scanned the negatives myself on a dedicated film scanner. Too much work, and Wal-Mart would often scratch the negatives. Printing these days seems to be the same price for digital or film. I am pretty sure all any of the discount places do is scan the negs and print them as digital anyway.

1D MKIII | FujiFilm X10 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 | 135 f/2 | 85 f/1.8 | 580EX |
lacks-focus.smugmug.com (external link)

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 07, 2008 21:20 |  #6

Don't use a discount store if you can help it. If you can find a dedicated photo store, that is far and away your best bet. The lab people will be better trained, and the chemicals will be fresher.

As far as film, from what I have gathered, Fuji Reala (as stated above, and which only comes in ISO 100 iirc) is probably some of the best film you can buy that you won't have to refrigerate until use (although, if you're buying a lot at once, it won't hurt).

If you are going to be using a lot of film, invest in a film scanner for yourself; buying a dedicated scanner often brings better scan quality, and the good ones anymore will have programs to fix things like grain in a picture as you are scanning; also, it will save you the $4-$5 per roll for a scan charge.

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

samuraiwarrior2
52 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 07, 2008 21:46 |  #7

Flyboy, there are lots of available canon film slrs that you can choose from. I have an A2E, and I use it in combination with my mom's 20D. The controls are very similar (especially with the quick control dial on the back). They are pretty cheap, you should be able to pick up a body for around $50-75. I would recommend using a slide film as to negatives. You'll have to either mail it in for development or find a dedicated E-6 processor near you. I just shot a roll of Velvia 50, and it ran me $0.41 per frame. Print films run a lot cheaper. I'd probably stick with a slide film to have more control over the color and development, I do not trust 1hour photo labs with any development.

4x5 Homemade View Camera
135mm f/4.5 Schneider Xenar from 1928.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tomas-young/ (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,392 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 07, 2008 21:50 |  #8

I have an EOS Elan IIe and an EOS A2 in mothballs right now...should I be thinking of selling these??

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

sponsored links

1,097 views & 0 likes for this thread
I want to buy a film SLR AND FILM
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.