Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 07 Aug 2008 (Thursday) 20:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How-to mount an Umbrella adapter on a Light Stand

Warrenism
820 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 07, 2008 20:54 |  #1

Ok .. as embarrasing this may be, im going to ask for help on Lighting 101. I have tried searching but results yield nothing that confirms it all to me.

So i got my Lite-tite and nano stands in the earlier part of the week and what appears to be simple task of attaching the 2 together, it just appears all to flimsy to me. Is this how you put it together (attached pic)?

I presume the second brass socket that i screwed onto the brass light stand adapter maybe not be necessary.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

[DSLR-less | 10-22 | 24-70L f2.8 | 70-200L f2.8 IS | 24-105L f4 | 50 f1.4 ]
Flickr (external link) | Warrenism: Blog Rantings (external link)

sponsored links
darkvibe
295 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 07, 2008 21:53 |  #2

I'm no expert but I'll chime in since no one else has. You only need one stud. It looks like your light stand has a brass stud and you screwed another one on top of it?

I believe your bracket should clamp right on to a stud that looks like this (with or without the threaded part)
http://static.photo.ne​t …d/00L/00Lp13-37391884.jpg (external link)

Other than that it looks right. Drop it on and tighten the knob to hold it in place.

http://www.darkvibe.or​g/gallery/ (external link)
Canon 30D w/ grip, 18-55mm kit lens, Canon 24-105mm f4L IS, Tamron AF 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 XR DI, Canon 50mm f1.8 II, Sigma APO 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG HSM, Sigma EF 500 DG Super, Slik Pro 400DX tripod, Slik Pro Pod 381 CF monopod.

Warrenism
THREAD ­ STARTER
820 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 07, 2008 23:53 as a reply to  @ darkvibe's post |  #3

DarkVibe, i did screw on the second one as you pointed out. I'll remove it and plop adapter back on the one existing on the light stand.
It just seems somewhat strange to me to be tightening the end of a thread to a curved object.

Maybe it's too simple of a question that people regard me as ignorant!

[DSLR-less | 10-22 | 24-70L f2.8 | 70-200L f2.8 IS | 24-105L f4 | 50 f1.4 ]
Flickr (external link) | Warrenism: Blog Rantings (external link)

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 08, 2008 00:08 |  #4

Remove all the "screw on" spigots from the light stand. You need not screw on anything.

Remove all spigots from the hole in the bottom of the umbrella adapter.

Then just jam the top of the light stand directly into the hole in the bottom of the umbrella adapter and tighted the thumbscrew to retain it umbrella on the lightstand.

It is a very simple and elegant mechanism.

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Aug 08, 2008 07:20 |  #5

Warrenism wrote in post #6068328 (external link)
DarkVibe, i did screw on the second one as you pointed out. I'll remove it and plop adapter back on the one existing on the light stand.
It just seems somewhat strange to me to be tightening the end of a thread to a curved object.

With some brackets, you may need the second flat-topped stud to keep the bracket from being wobbly. (That's the case with one one of my brackets.) If you just use the stud with the screw sticking out of the top, the bracket won't have a flat surface to rest on and becomes unstable. If that turns out to be the case with yours, just screw the stud back on.

...Leo

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 08, 2008 07:35 |  #6

Warrenism wrote in post #6068328 (external link)

A brass stud is soft enough that the screw will dig into it if tightened enough and thereby stop the adaptor from rotating or slipping - you should see a circular indentation on the stud when you remove the adaptor which is very common and nothing to worry about.

sponsored links

3,202 views & 0 likes for this thread
How-to mount an Umbrella adapter on a Light Stand
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.