Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 09 Aug 2008 (Saturday) 18:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

An animated .gif file made with Photoshop

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 09, 2008 18:55 |  #1

Foreword:
On the G-series Speed Challenge #182 - Cityscapes I used an animated gif to show the thumbnails of the participating images.
Boutty asked for ‘How to’ instructions, so here I go…

Disclaimer:
I can do some things with Photoshop, but the procedures I use may be neither the easiest nor the most efficient, so feel free to use your own method If you know a better one.
For the tutorial, I will describe how I did the animated gif below showing three hypothetical winners:

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2567/4024670627_e8bc1718c4_o.gif

There are two main steps for the Animated Thumbs image:
Preparing the layers and creating the animated .gif

Note: If you use Image Ready CS2 or Photoshop CS3 you can also save the animation as a Macromedia Flash file (swf), but the resulting animation is larger than the 100KB limit of the forum.

A: Preparing the .psd layers

1. In Photoshop (I use CS2), open a new image of the desired size (mine is 204 px wide x 224 pixels H). I named it AnimatedThumbs.
  2. If necessary, convert the background into a layer and paint it white.
  3. If you wish a frame for your image, create it in a new layer:
    Select All (Ctrl+A) and then Edit>Stroke (Width: 1px; color: black or #000000; Location: center; Blending Mode: Normal; Opacity: 100%)
  4. If you wish the upper and bottom dashes for the names, create them on new layers:
    Select the Single Row Marquee Tool and repeat the Edit>Stroke as in step 3
  5. For the titles, select the Horizontal Type Tool (T) and write the text.
    My text settings were: Arial; Bold; 14 px; center text; text color black.
  6. Select the Move Tool (V) and with the text layer selected, move it to the desired position.
  7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for additional text layers.
  8. Open the photo files or drag them from windows explorer into Photoshop.
  9. On every image do the follow:
    • File>Automate>Fit image (width 200px height 200px)
    • Filter>Sharpen>Smart Sharpen (Amount: 40%; Radius: 0,3; Remove: Lens Blur)
    • Select All (Ctrl A), Edit>Copy (Ctrl C), Close the image without saving it.
    • Select the AnimatedThumbs image and perform Edit>Paste (Ctrl V)

Repeat the process for the remaining photo files.
  10. I included in the top three layers the medals for the first, second and third places.
  11. SAVE THE .psd FILE
    The layers for the saved image will look like this:
    http://sites.google.co​m …mtutorial/layer​s_pane.gif (external link)

B: The Animation frames

1. Do Window>Animation.
    A new window with the fist animation frame will appear.
    http://sites.google.co​m …animtutorial/fr​ames_1.gif (external link)
    On the layers pane I selected visibility ON (the eye icon) for the layers: white, frame, dash bottom, dash top, 'Quito cityscape' (text), 'Quito cityscape' (image) and medal first.
  2. Click the 'Duplicate frame' icon http://sites.google.co​m …torial/duplicat​e_icon.gif (external link) on the animation window
  3. For frame two, turn OFF the visibility icons for 'Quito cityscape' (text), 'Quito cityscape' (image) and medal first.
    Turn ON the visibility icon for 'Pichincha Volcano' (text), 'Pichincha Volcano' (image) and medal second.
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for frame three selecting layers 'Chinese Embassy in Quito' (text), 'Chinese Embassy in Quito' (image) and medal third.
    By the way the pictures of Quito were shot on August 7, the day before of the Olimpic Games Opening in Beijing. : ) : )
  5. With frame 3 still selected, shift+Click frame 1 to select all the frames simultaneously.
    http://sites.google.co​m …tutorial/frames​-1-2-3.gif (external link)
  6. On frame 1, click the small arrow on the bottom right and select 2.0 sec for 'duration'
    http://sites.google.co​m …mtutorial/two_s​econds.gif (external link)
  7. Click the Play icon http://sites.google.co​m …nea/animtutoria​l/play.gif (external link) on the animation window to preview your animation.
    Be sure that the looping option is set to 'Forever' in the bottom left of the Animation window.
  8. If everything looks fine, use File>Save for Web...
  9. On Preset: select ‘GIF 128 Dithered’ from the drop-down.
  10. Fill the other boxes as in the image below:
    http://sites.google.co​m …imtutorial/gif_​dialog.gif (external link)
  11. Click the save button on the Save for Web window and click save again in the ‘Save Optimized as’ dialog box.

That is all. The whole process is easy and is not as long as it seems when described here.

I hope this step by step description will be of some help.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 09, 2008 19:25 |  #2

Great tutorial thanks, I didn't know Photoshop could even do that!

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 09, 2008 20:06 |  #3

More:
Creative Tip: Build Animated GIFs in Photoshop. (external link)

Image Ready animation

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 10, 2008 03:58 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #4

Thanks sir rafael for spending your valuable time, instead of going out there and taking pictures, writing and screen shot this tutorial. Much appreciated. ;)

Now all I need is to re-fill the gas bottle of my garage office's desktop heater to be able to practice this task. :p

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 10, 2008 04:02 |  #5

PhotosGuy wrote in post #6078304 (external link)
More:
Image Ready animation

Thanks PhotosGuy sir but we are big boys now - I think CS3 combine PS & Image Ready. Good reference for folks with CS2 with Image Ready installed.

PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 10, 2008 21:44 |  #6

Thanks PhotosGuy sir but we are big boys now - I think CS3 combine PS & Image Ready.

The title doesn't just address CS3 & others without it will visit this thread, so my link gives help to them. Why would a "Big Boy" object to that?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 11, 2008 06:20 |  #7

PhotosGuy wrote in post #6083494 (external link)
The title doesn't just address CS3 & others without it will visit this thread, so my link gives help to them. Why would a "Big Boy" object to that?

Oops! I was wrong. Didn't even read the first pointer of sir rafael correctly "In Photoshop (I use CS2)..." I thought the tutorial was written for PS-CS3 only. Please accept my sincere apologies. :o

rpolitsr
THREAD ­ STARTER
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 11, 2008 23:22 |  #8

tim wrote in post #6078150 (external link)
Great tutorial thanks, I didn't know Photoshop could even do that!

Thanks, tim
Honestly, I didn’t know that either :o . I was checking CS3 Help to be sure its workflow is similar when I saw the menu Window>Animation and guess what? Returning to CS2 I found the same menu there!.

The instructions for an Image Ready animation by PacAce (same link of PhotosGuy) were posted on March 2006 describing the workflow for Photoshop CS and Image Ready and are basically the same.

I never used PS7, but I can say that CS+ImageReady, CS2 alone, CS2+ImageReady and CS3 can be used with almost the same workflow for this simple animation.

I’m almost sure that Boutty will confirm that CS3 accepts the same workflow.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links

3,955 views & 0 likes for this thread
An animated .gif file made with Photoshop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.