Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Aug 2008 (Saturday) 22:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Intermittent overexposed shots

Chosenbydestiny
I somehow feel enlightened now
593 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 09, 2008 22:39 |  #1

I have this weird issue when I'm shooting at the club where I work that I didn't have before... or was I just lucky the first 3 weekends?

The equipment is as follows: Canon XSi with off shoe cord connected to stroboframe flash bracket connected to canon 580EX II flash.

I have everything on manual... and I'm using a custom white balance with spot metering. Shooting jpegs because the club likes to upload the shots before the guests get home.

Just recently, I started getting these intermittent overexposed shots. Sometimes 4-5 in a row, especially if I do continuous mode. Every other shot I have is exposed just perfect, and then randomly I get the overexposed shots that seem to be almost white images. And I didn't shoot any differently than I did the other days, nor was it a different environment. I look at my flash after setting it to -2/3 power and it resets back to 0 every now and then for some reason... Which still doesn't explain the ridiculously overexposed near white images because at +0 it wouldn't overexpose to that magnitude. Do you think I may have accidentally enabled a setting where it would cause these intermittent overexposed shots somewhere?

- Ryan, photographer/videograp​her
Bodies: Canon 1D mark III, 5D Mark III, 5D classic, 6D, 7D, and 60D. Lenses: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 85mm f/1.2L II USM, 135 f/2L USM, some L zooms, lots of lighting equipment and video support systems Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 09, 2008 22:45 |  #2

It's probably an electrical connectivity issue. Remove and reconnect the cord to the hotshoe, and the flash to the cord. Maybe clean all the contacts with a pencil eraser. Make sure everything is secure.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Chosenbydestiny
THREAD ­ STARTER
593 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 09, 2008 22:56 |  #3

Curtis N wrote in post #6078956 (external link)
It's probably an electrical connectivity issue. Remove and reconnect the cord to the hotshoe, and the flash to the cord. Maybe clean all the contacts with a pencil eraser. Make sure everything is secure.

Thanks Curtis, you seem to always have the answers, heh. I'll try this again with clean contacts tonight.

Bodies: Canon 1D mark III, 5D Mark III, 5D classic, 6D, 7D, and 60D. Lenses: Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 85mm f/1.2L II USM, 135 f/2L USM, some L zooms, lots of lighting equipment and video support systems Facebook (external link)

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 09, 2008 23:08 |  #4

Mind posting an example of a good shot fromt he evening, along with one that didn't go right?

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

Chosenbydestiny
THREAD ­ STARTER
593 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 09, 2008 23:38 |  #5

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …senbydestiny/IM​G_0220.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO
<- bad

http://img.photobucket​.com …senbydestiny/IM​G_0318.jpg (external link)
<- good

http://img.photobucket​.com …senbydestiny/IM​G_0124.jpg (external link)
<- good

All same settings, or at least very very close between 1/10th and 1/13th shutter, with f/stop of 3.5 and 4.

Do you think it's the spot metering that makes it do that? Or could it even be the fact I'm using 2nd curtain? The only thing I've done to try and fix the issue so far before Curtis mentioned his answer was turning the flash and camera off and back on.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Aug 09, 2008 23:47 |  #6

I agree with Curtis. It's most probably the contacts. I bet your flash is switch between ETTL mode and TTL mode. When it goes into TTL mode, it'll fire at full power. If the problem is not due to dirty contacts, check to see if the hot shoe is lifting off of the camera body (the screws holding it down may be coming loose).

...Leo

Chosenbydestiny
THREAD ­ STARTER
593 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 09, 2008 23:57 |  #7

PacAce wrote in post #6079188 (external link)
I agree with Curtis. It's most probably the contacts. I bet your flash is switch between ETTL mode and TTL mode. When it goes into TTL mode, it'll fire at full power. If the problem is not due to dirty contacts, check to see if the hot shoe is lifting off of the camera body (the screws holding it down may be coming loose).

Actually, I forgot to mention that, sorry. =P I did see it in TTL mode once and was wondering why the hell it was in it.

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Aug 10, 2008 00:24 |  #8

Check out this thread for what to do if it is your hot shoe being loose:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=541425

...Leo

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 10, 2008 00:55 |  #9

Yup, just follow what Curtis and Leo say. Nothing explains that bad of an overexposure, other than a bad connection. Otherwise, send the camera in.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 10, 2008 00:56 |  #10

Is that MC Hammer in No 2? ;)

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 10, 2008 02:13 |  #11

Also if you're shooting ISO3200 with a wide aperture and direct flash the flash can't turn down low enough and blows out the subjects. Don't think that's what happened as the background is just about blown too.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Chosenbydestiny
THREAD ­ STARTER
593 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 10, 2008 05:01 |  #12

I'm shooting at 800 or 1600.

BTW, I found out what it was... Thank goodness it wasn't my flash or my camera. It was my off-shoe cord.... =(

Alas, after shooting tonight, I didn't get that bad of a difference from being without it I suppose.

And I don't know if that's MC Hammer, but it sure does look like him.

sponsored links

1,743 views & 0 likes for this thread
Intermittent overexposed shots
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.