Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Aug 2008 (Sunday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Good external Hard Drive

packpe89
731 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 10, 2008 19:59 |  #1

Looking to get another external drive for back-up and storage, what's a good one to get. Running XP on a dell optiplex.

Canon 7D, 40D, 300f2.8L, 70-200f2.8L IS, Sigma 30f1.4, 60EF-S 2.8 Macro, 15-85EF-S , Sigma 10-20, A couple of flashes, strobes and stuff.

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,317 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 10, 2008 20:21 |  #2

packpe89 wrote in post #6082939 (external link)
Looking to get another external drive for back-up and storage, what's a good one to get. Running XP on a dell optiplex.

i have a seagate free agent 500 gig and 750 gig hooked up to my dell now.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

planters
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 10, 2008 20:25 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #3

It doesn't matter what computer you are using. What is the one you are using now? You only have 4 or 5 manufacturers to choose from. Is it for a laptop or a desktop? I don't think there is much of a difference between companies when it comes to reliability but some offer a slightly longer warranty or a faster RPM if it's for a laptop. Last time I checked Hitachi and Seagate were the only HDD manufacturers for notebooks that offered a 7200 RPM drive, but that may have changed recently. I put a Hitachi 7200 rpm in my HP laptop along with the supplied 5400 rpm about 18 months ago and am happy with it. I also have 2 - 7200 rpm maxtors and a 2.5 7200 rpm Hitachi in USB enclosures and have had no problems so far.

packpe89
THREAD ­ STARTER
731 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 10, 2008 20:28 |  #4

desktop, but only looking for an external drive.

The free agent is one I have been looking at, along with the my book, maxtor and iomega

Canon 7D, 40D, 300f2.8L, 70-200f2.8L IS, Sigma 30f1.4, 60EF-S 2.8 Macro, 15-85EF-S , Sigma 10-20, A couple of flashes, strobes and stuff.

planters
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 10, 2008 22:53 |  #5

packpe89 wrote in post #6083108 (external link)

The free agent is one I have been looking at, along with the my book, maxtor and iomega

I guess if you go with a all in one enclosure so to speak with software then you have more choices. I personally have always bought a hard drive and a usb enclosure separately. It is very easy to assemble but if you want the software that comes with these devices, I guess you have more choices. But remember the hard drives in these Iomega type things still uses one of the 4 or 5 major HDD inside. So when you say which is better... what do you mean? Reliability? Speed? software? Cooling?

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 10, 2008 22:58 |  #6

what size do you guys suggest? I can get a 150 gig one for free.... what do you guys think? is that gunna be enough just for photos?

David W.

BradT0517
I almost caught fire
3,010 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 10, 2008 23:08 |  #7

My personal recomendation, for whatever it is worth, is for the Seagate Free Agent series. I have read many reviews, to not get the Western Digital Mybooks because of how slow their transfer speeds are which is what led me away from them.

My Website (external link)

BradT0517
I almost caught fire
3,010 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 10, 2008 23:10 |  #8

canonnoob wrote in post #6083781 (external link)
what size do you guys suggest? I can get a 150 gig one for free.... what do you guys think? is that gunna be enough just for photos?

I personally have about 250-300 GB of pictures on my external hard drive. It will depend mostly on what kind of files you shoot, how frequently you shoot etc. At that price though I would pick up that hard drive.

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 10, 2008 23:12 |  #9

BradT0517 wrote in post #6083832 (external link)
I personally have about 250-300 GB of pictures on my external hard drive. It will depend mostly on what kind of files you shoot, how frequently you shoot etc. At that price though I would pick up that hard drive.

yeah i can always pick up a 350 gig one if i need another one... im taking all the photos off my computer and putting them onto the externals..

David W.

planters
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 10, 2008 23:23 |  #10

canonnoob wrote in post #6083781 (external link)

It's free??? What's there to think about????

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 10, 2008 23:24 |  #11

lol... true... but i didnt know if it would be worth getting all the pictures thrown over there just to move them again if there is too many...

David W.

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 10, 2008 23:40 |  #12

I bought a 500 gb external hdd yesterday at Fry's for $89. I needed one to copy my files to so I could format the drive in my PC.

Buffalo Drive Station turbo USB External Hard Drive.

Mike

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

bishop13
559 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 11, 2008 00:16 |  #13

I have a WD MyBook 500 gig and love it.

I've also recently coupled it with the Belkin Wireless USB hub (attached to a Belkin N1 Vision router) and use it as a NAS (network attached storage) so I can backup both my desktop and laptop to it. Despite the bad reviews I've read for this set up regarding speed, its actually fast enough were I can stream video to my laptop!

Gear List

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
52,171 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 11, 2008 00:32 |  #14

packpe89 wrote in post #6083108 (external link)

It's a silly thing, but I have to admit the Seagate FeeAgents are sexy .. :lol:

I now have three, bought one had it for a little over a year and when it came time got two more.
I was able to pick up the 2nd two for under $100.00 (500GB ) at Newegg.
Dead silent, I mean ZERo noise,. and they do the job well. the included software is fine, I used it for a while, but actually finally uninstalled it in favor of SynchBack.
I'd still recommend the Seagate software to anyone buying. I just went with an App I was more familiar with.

Size? Hard to say, I can't use smaller than 500GB for images, In fact I need a 1TB really.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

BradT0517
I almost caught fire
3,010 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 11, 2008 00:37 |  #15

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #6084230 (external link)
It's a silly thing, but I have to admit the Seagate FeeAgents are sexy .. :lol:

I now have three, bought one had it for a little over a year and when it came time got two more.
I was able to pick up the 2nd two for under $100.00 (500GB ) at Newegg.
Dead silent, I mean ZERo noise,. and they do the job well. the included software is fine, I used it for a while, but actually finally uninstalled it in favor of SynchBack.
I'd still recommend the Seagate software to anyone buying. I just went with an App I was more familiar with.

Size? Hard to say, I can't use smaller than 500GB for images, In fact I need a 1TB really.

I agree with you on that. I have actually been thinking about getting a second 500GB for redundancy purposes. The problem is that I might sadly have to get USB hub as I have filled my current 7 in 1.

sponsored links

12,121 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good external Hard Drive
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.