Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Aug 2008 (Monday) 20:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Pelican 0940 Compact Flash Memory Card Case

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 11, 2008 20:32 |  #1

As promised here is my review of the Pelican 0940 Compact Flash Memory Card Case. :smile:

As usual with my reviews, my main goal is to help any out there who are thinking about, or might think about after reading the review, buying the item(s) I am reviewing. With that being my goal please feel free to ask any additional questions on anything I might have missed or not covered and also feel free to ask for pictures of anything else that you may want to see that I failed to show in the images I did post. I try my best to be very thorough in my reviews but it's impossible to cover EVERYTHING! I do my best and I do it not only to help others but with the hopes that others will see my reviews and be inspired to take the time to write reviews of their own to help others as so many others have helped them!

I also want to add to this an apology... For some reason that is unknown to me, with all the thousands of dollars of equipment I own I still reach for my cheesy $200 point shoot camera to snap quick shots for web use stuff like this. I apologize if the images are sub par, but its just the first thing I grab when I know I'm not looking to win a contest or make any money and just want to emphasize a point with web posted images.

That being said, let's proceed.

I have been looking for a good option to safely and securely store my compact flash cards for some time. The problem was that I never felt any more was needed beyond the little plastic cases that Sandisk compact flash cards come in. So I never really saw a reason to spend any money on a fancier or more extravagant memory card holder. Then recently I went on a camping/hiking trip where I was crossing streams and hiking along the ocean and I thought to myself: boy, it would sure suck if I slipped and dropped all my gear in the water, good thing I have insurance! Oh but wait, insurance couldnt do anything for my lost images on the salt water soaked memory cards! I should find a new way to store them when Im traveling like this.

Well cruising POTN one day, someone mentioned that Pelican offered a memory card case and I was about sold just on that fact alone. Any of you who own Pelican cases know as I do that they are extremely secure and make some of the best storage solutions available. I have seen everything from extremely expensive scientific test gear to military supplies stored in Pelican cases, and if their cases are good enough for those applications I knew they are good enough for my needs!

Here is the info from B&H on the case:

Pelican 0940 Memory Card Case - for Four Compact Flash Memory Cards (Black)
B&H LINK (external link), B&H Price: $19.95

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/528645.jpg

The Pelican 0940 Memory Card Case (Black) is a tough, water-resistant polycarbonate resin case made to carry and store four compact flash memory cards. There is a removable insert liner that absorbs shock and protects memory cards, and an extra plain liner for custom configuration.

Key Features

• Tough polycarbonate resin case made to carry media

• Water-resistant seal

• Removable insert liner absorbs shock and protects memory cards

• Comes with one extra "plain" liner for custom storage needs

• Compatible with four compact flash memory cards

Specifications:

Material: Exterior: Polycarbonate resin Interior: Removable liner

Type of Closure: Snaps closed

Exterior Dimensions: 5.0 x 3.3 x 0.95" (12.7 x 8.4 x 2.4cm) (LxWxH)

Interior Dimensions: 4.2 x 2.3 x 0.56" (10.7 x 5.8 x 1.4cm) (LxWxH)

Lid depth: 0.26" (0.7cm)

Bottom depth: 0.30" (0.8cm)

Media Type: Four compact flash memory cards

Carrying/Transport Options: Handheld

Weight: 4.48 oz (130g)

Like all Pelican cases you can tell just by picking them up that they are very high quality and very durable and strong. The 0940 case is no different. The plastic is thick and sturdy and the clamp style locking mechanism lets you know once its closed, nothing it getting in or out and its not going to accidentally open! I knew right off the bat if I dropped this thing in a tide pool or a lake my memory cards would be fine!

From the first attached image you can see how the case comes packaged in its retail blister pack. The second image shows whats included. The kit comes with a PCMCIA card holder in case you want to carry a PCMCIA to Compact Flash card adapter. In order to use the PCMCIA holder however you have to remove two compact flash card holders which takes you down to only two total.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 11, 2008 20:33 |  #2

These two shots show the inside and back of the case opened so you can get an idea of what that looks like up close. While the unit is larger than most memory card cases it really isnt overly large and being that it designed to be the toughest case available I would expect it to be big.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 11, 2008 20:33 |  #3

Here you can see how the cards are held within this case. They can be inserted either portrait or landscape which can be useful for indicating which are full and which are empty. I would also like to note that the card holders themselves are a grippy, squishy rubber that will not let go of the cards unless banged hard or a finger pulls them out. I have no worry of them falling out accidentally upon opening the case. They are firmly held in place in either orientation.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 11, 2008 20:34 |  #4

I tried my best to give you an idea of the size of this case. Here you can see the thickness of it compared to a couple compact flash cards. Yes its kinda big, but consider the reasons behind buying a case like this.... Youd want the ultimate in protection. Would you feel ultimately protected if this were thin and light?

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 11, 2008 20:34 |  #5

I wanted to show here what the empty case looked like. Pulling the inserts out is not a very easy task as they are jammed in there pretty good and further secured in by two little tabs in the case itself on either side. There is definitely no chance of the inserts falling out accidentally.

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 11, 2008 21:02 |  #6

Well there you have it! The Pelican 0940 Compact Flash Memory Card Case. Awesome unit offering the ultimate in memory card protection.

Hope you found the review helpful!

Rellik
720 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 12, 2008 00:27 |  #7

Thanks for the review. Very nicely written and pictures are nice and clear. It was quite helpful as I am currently looking for an additional one as I need to carry/protect more cards. 8 CF + 2 SD.

I was contemplating the pelican, as I love their products. Would go nice with the 1500 case. But I came across this one from B&H:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ails&Q=&sku=332​249&is=REG (external link)

Basically, it has the similar protective properties and is submersible in water. But, what this one has on the pelican is that you can store SD cards underneath the CF cards. Being a 1D shooter, I often use the SD cards to mirror my CF images. So this is great, that I don't have to carry another case just for SD cards. I haven't bought it yet, but I will write a review when I do. Hopefully, this was informative for any 1D shooters who uses the SD cards.

-Derek 40D, 5D, 5D MK II, 1D Mark III
35L, 50L, 85L, 17-40L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200 F2.8L IS
Vancouver Wedding Photographer (external link)

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 12, 2008 07:47 |  #8

Yea I had read something about that one a while back as well and thought it was a really good looking case as well. If I were shooting a 1 series body I definitely would have gone that route instead!

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 12, 2008 08:49 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #9

Real nice review......

I've got the version of that case that holds 8 SDHC cards. I think its secure and tough however there are 2 real problems with it.

1. Its slick and easy to drop, need to roughen it up a bit so you can get a decent grip on it.

2. When will manufactures give you a case with a place you can write your phone number on it in case you lose it and happen to want it back.........

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

Rellik
720 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 12, 2008 15:32 |  #10

P51Mstg wrote in post #6092617 (external link)
2. When will manufactures give you a case with a place you can write your phone number on it in case you lose it and happen to want it back.........

Labeler (like the brother p-touch) is your friend. I have all my equipment labeled as well as my memory cards with my number on it. Anything I can lose, it has a label.

-Derek 40D, 5D, 5D MK II, 1D Mark III
35L, 50L, 85L, 17-40L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200 F2.8L IS
Vancouver Wedding Photographer (external link)

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 12, 2008 15:49 |  #11

Rellik wrote in post #6094755 (external link)
Labeler (like the brother p-touch) is your friend. I have all my equipment labeled as well as my memory cards with my number on it. Anything I can lose, it has a label.

I have been thinking about doing the same...

yoyoboy
273 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 13, 2008 22:45 |  #12

I've got the gepe card safe, and one thing i reallt like about it is that it can hold different kinds of memory cards, and you can double stack compct flash and sd cards, so you could potentially hold 8 cards in a case for 4. Perfect for a 1d user.
Just fyi, I have had multiple cf cards go through the wash with out any ill effects.

P51Mstg
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 13, 2008 23:09 as a reply to  @ yoyoboy's post |  #13

Good idea, I didn't think of the P-Touch, I shall try one........

Thanks

Mark H

Too Much Camera Stuff......

dakgrrl
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 14, 2008 00:58 as a reply to  @ P51Mstg's post |  #14

I have the gepe card safe extreme and one thing that I love about it is that it is see through and the hinges are all proper hinges with SS pins. It is also really tough and waterproof. possibly a little difficult to get card out if you have large fingers.
I also bought a card safe basic duo for my partner (who dosn't need as many cards) when I bought the extreme. it has all the same features as the extreme except the hinges are not proper hinges, just plastice and could break with excesive use. I didn't think this woud be such a problem as this one wouldn't be used as much as mine.
bothof them are very high quality and very durable and I have accidentally put the extreme through the wash and it came out fine.
Woudl highly recommend them to anyone.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 14, 2008 08:22 |  #15

P51Mstg wrote in post #6104095 (external link)
Good idea, I didn't think of the P-Touch, I shall try one........

Thanks

Mark H
1.4 & 2.0 Teleconverter| 580EX Flash and few more! Lots of Pocket Wizzards| Transcend 8GB 266X CF cards| Expensive Carbondfiber Tripod, Monopod and Wimberly Head (among others) | Lots of other JUNK (and an ExWife and a 16 year old son who borrows it all)

Sorry OT, but MAN you have a wonderful gear list! :)

sponsored links

17,374 views & 0 likes for this thread
Review: Pelican 0940 Compact Flash Memory Card Case
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.