Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 18 Aug 2008 (Monday) 17:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Final Design For Site C&C

conkeroo
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 18, 2008 17:52 |  #1

Been at this for months, little bits and changes here and there but I think im pretty much done design wise. Granted, I know theres information missing but that'll be fixed shortly. I'd appreciate any feedback or problems as it is. :D

sponsored links
tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 18, 2008 22:55 |  #2

Looks clean. Make sure you put a unique meta description tag in all the files, and adjust the title tag for each page too. That'll help your SEO a bit.

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

ilantis
181 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 19, 2008 02:22 |  #3

Nice. Well designed...simple yet elegant. All of my fave features. :)

Not sure how much it matters, but if (in the off chance) someone cannot view the site using Flash...the navbar dies and all the user gets to look at is a single pretty picture. :razz:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

M5Man
781 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 19, 2008 03:02 |  #4

ilantis wrote in post #6135730 (external link)

I agree with ilantis, a site is something I must do.

A job for the winter nights coming up ;)

8-)***CLIVE***8-)

Whats in the box? Pelican 1624

4 Sale MANFROTTO 488 (external link)

conkeroo
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 19, 2008 08:10 |  #5

ilantis wrote in post #6135730 (external link)

Not sure how much it matters, but if (in the off chance) someone cannot view the site using Flash...the navbar dies and all the user gets to look at is a single pretty picture. :razz:

Is that what came up for you? Did it not try and install the plugin for you? And are you using IE? I'll have to look into that. And thanks for the feedback everyone, really appreciate it. :D

ilantis
181 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 19, 2008 08:20 |  #6

That is what I get when I deliberately disabled Flash in Firefox. I like to be arguably overly zealous when critiquing Flash sites just to present a "what-if" scenario (and so I can get a better understanding for design ideas for myself at the same time). The site looked fine with Flash enabled and I even if I didn't, FF would have been able to install it.

That was simply presented for your consideration. :)

conkeroo
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 19, 2008 09:58 |  #7

ilantis wrote in post #6136679 (external link)
That is what I get when I deliberately disabled Flash in Firefox. I like to be arguably overly zealous when critiquing Flash sites just to present a "what-if" scenario (and so I can get a better understanding for design ideas for myself at the same time). The site looked fine with Flash enabled and I even if I didn't, FF would have been able to install it.

That was simply presented for your consideration. :)

Ah right! Appreciate the extensive feedback. :D

240dreams
116 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 19, 2008 10:24 |  #8

Please excuse my ignorance, but do you need a watermark even if the images are embedded into flash? I mean, the pics are on your personal site as is...

conkeroo
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 19, 2008 10:41 |  #9

240dreams wrote in post #6137440 (external link)
Please excuse my ignorance, but do you need a watermark even if the images are embedded into flash? I mean, the pics are on your personal site as is...

How do you mean "the pics are on your personal site as is.."? And yes you do need a watermark even if embedded in flash, although my images arent embedded. They're cached using an external script. But ive read about so much hassle that people have had with images being used without consent, and a watermark would have prevented it. Im not saying my images will be taken, but im taking no chances.

240dreams
116 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 19, 2008 19:58 |  #10

If you wanted credit for the shots, the pics are on your site "as is." I didn't know you were using the watermarks for security.

To be honest, the watermarks kill the images. You don't see many personal sites with them on photos.

conkeroo
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 20, 2008 06:35 |  #11

240dreams wrote in post #6140646 (external link)
If you wanted credit for the shots, the pics are on your site "as is." I didn't know you were using the watermarks for security.

To be honest, the watermarks kill the images. You don't see many personal sites with them on photos.

I appreciate that the watermarks detract from the shots but like I said I really dont want to open that images-being-used-without-consent can of worms. So I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. And this is turning into a pro venture for me so I think there's a need to mark them. :)

taygull
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 20, 2008 08:46 |  #12

conkeroo, nice and clean.

I'd be curious if you don't mind sharing the steps to embed simplviewer into a web page. I've not figured that one out yet.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

conkeroo
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 20, 2008 09:30 |  #13

taygull wrote in post #6143802 (external link)
conkeroo, nice and clean.

I'd be curious if you don't mind sharing the steps to embed simplviewer into a web page. I've not figured that one out yet.

Cheers mate. To get it working it took a lot of messing about but essentially you create a table and then resize the viewer to the same proportions.

<td width="900" height="464" align="center" valign="middle"><div id="flashcontent">
<script type="text/javascript"​>
var fo = new SWFObject("images/view​er/viewer.swf", "viewer", "900px", "460px", "7", "#2A2A2A");
fo.addVariable("prel​oaderColor", "0xffffff");
fo.addVariable("xmlD​ataPath", "images/landscape/gall​ery.xml");
fo.write("flashconte​nt");</script>
</div></td>

Using this code as opposed to just embedding the flash means it passes the markup test. :D

bieber
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 20, 2008 10:02 |  #14

A)Doesn't work without Flash. Big no-no of web development
B)The big, obtrusive watermark right up there on the front page is really, really irritating. A photograph positioned like that needs to fit into the design, which it doesn't do with that thing there. Not only is it huge and smack-dab in the middle of the image, but it would also be fairly easy to remove :/ And it's not as if an image of that size would be any good for anything but viewing on the web, anyways :/

EOS 20D w/ BG-E2 grip
Nifty fifty, EF 28mm f/2.8, EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Speedlights SB-25/SB-26/580EX, Pocket Wizards and such
My Gallery (external link)

conkeroo
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 20, 2008 10:33 |  #15

bieber wrote in post #6144227 (external link)
A)Doesn't work without Flash. Big no-no of web development
B)The big, obtrusive watermark right up there on the front page is really, really irritating. A photograph positioned like that needs to fit into the design, which it doesn't do with that thing there. Not only is it huge and smack-dab in the middle of the image, but it would also be fairly easy to remove :/ And it's not as if an image of that size would be any good for anything but viewing on the web, anyways :/

1. Then lets get rid of flash altogether :p
2. Agreed, but that wasnt going to be final design on the front page.
3. Not easy to remove a watermark at all, please feel free to try.
4. A good resize plugin, like genuine fractals pro, could resize the image into a decent sized printable image. Not to mention, I dont want anyone on the web using my images, either. (except you, if you care to take up my removing-a-watermark challenge)

;)

sponsored links

2,954 views & 0 likes for this thread
Final Design For Site C&C
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.