Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 19 Aug 2008 (Tuesday) 17:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Refreshing

Matt-641
132 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 19, 2008 17:23 |  #1

Messing around with photoshop. Sill new to it, but let me know what you think...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …aterboi9/IMG_64​45edit.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …aterboi9/IMG_64​41edit.jpg (external link)

My Gear List

sponsored links
lbcyalater
985 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 20, 2008 16:46 |  #2

they are both blurry and or out of focus. they are also both a bit flat. are these handheld?

The Gear:
Canon 6D
Canon 17-40L :: Nifty Fifty :: Canon 85 1.8
580 EX II
http://lbcyalater.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

Matt-641
THREAD ­ STARTER
132 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 20, 2008 16:53 as a reply to  @ lbcyalater's post |  #3

Yeah, no tripod yet. Plus in the second one, I was leaning over the table (doesn't help, I know.). I guess these won't be keepers then :/..Aside from those things, do you think the PP was ok? That's more of what I was wondering about. That and the concept itself (something I had been thinking about doing for a while).

My Gear List

lbcyalater
985 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 20, 2008 17:02 as a reply to  @ Matt-641's post |  #4

well, in regards to the PP I think it could use a little more contrast. but other than that its coo. also if u dont have a tripod u can always try and find somewhere to post ur camera up and then set the timer on the cam so u dont risk camera shake

The Gear:
Canon 6D
580 EX II

londonblue007
852 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 20, 2008 17:03 |  #5

Matt-641 wrote in post #6146552 (external link)
Yeah, no tripod yet. Plus in the second one, I was leaning over the table (doesn't help, I know.). I guess these won't be keepers then :/..Aside from those things, do you think the PP was ok? That's more of what I was wondering about. That and the concept itself (something I had been thinking about doing for a while).

Not sure what PP you did other then a B&W conversion... If you can fill us in on that, then that'll help...
Disregarding the blurry and OOF nature of the photos, I think they are a bit flat, ie, not enough contrast. I don't like the picture in B&W either... I think if you are going to shoot "beer" bottles, especially ones with such dynamic colors as Mike's Hard Lemonade, color might be more interesting, leading to the next comment...
The background also needs help, but that's a bit nit-picky and I know you are more interested in concept and processing.

For the first one, from the side, it would be more interesting if you could see the front of the labels. I find the text and UPC label distracting.

For the from the top, it might be nice if they weren't empty, and the caps were still on them.

Also, try a different bottle, maybe a really interesting micro brew or something like that.

I hope this is what you are looking for and I'm not killing your desire to shoot this kind of shot again ;)

Canon 50D; Battery Grip; Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8; Canon 50mm f/1.8; Canon 430 Speedlight;
website (external link) Flickr (external link) Facebook (external link)
hilbondphotography@gma​il.com (external link)

Matt-641
THREAD ­ STARTER
132 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 20, 2008 17:31 |  #6

lbcyalater wrote in post #6146602 (external link)
well, in regards to the PP I think it could use a little more contrast. but other than that its coo. also if u dont have a tripod u can always try and find somewhere to post ur camera up and then set the timer on the cam so u dont risk camera shake

alright I'll try that next time, thanks.

londonblue007 wrote in post #6146608 (external link)
Not sure what PP you did other then a B&W conversion... If you can fill us in on that, then that'll help...
Disregarding the blurry and OOF nature of the photos, I think they are a bit flat, ie, not enough contrast. I don't like the picture in B&W either... I think if you are going to shoot "beer" bottles, especially ones with such dynamic colors as Mike's Hard Lemonade, color might be more interesting, leading to the next comment...
The background also needs help, but that's a bit nit-picky and I know you are more interested in concept and processing.

For the first one, from the side, it would be more interesting if you could see the front of the labels. I find the text and UPC label distracting.

For the from the top, it might be nice if they weren't empty, and the caps were still on them.

Also, try a different bottle, maybe a really interesting micro brew or something like that.

I hope this is what you are looking for and I'm not killing your desire to shoot this kind of shot again ;)

definately helpful, thanks..

-I thought the black and white would be good b/c the the area around the bottles has that older style and feel to it. But I see how a color one would work with the yellow labels.

-I agree with the UPC number, I didn't want them to show but they didn't seem to be too distracting when the picture was taken.

-Actually I did try a green bottle in the middle of them all, but the picture was even more blurry than these, so I decided not to keep it.

My Gear List

Matt-641
THREAD ­ STARTER
132 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 21, 2008 18:44 |  #7

This better?

http://i103.photobucke​t.com …aterboi9/IMG_64​47edit.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

-cropped and adjusted curves

My Gear List

lbcyalater
985 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 21, 2008 18:56 as a reply to  @ Matt-641's post |  #8

better but still blurry, did u set the cam down and set the timer to go off?

The Gear:
Canon 6D
580 EX II

Matt-641
THREAD ­ STARTER
132 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 21, 2008 19:07 |  #9

no timer, set it down and looked through the viewfinder.

My Gear List

CamDiver
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 22, 2008 04:26 |  #10

They are very soft, OOF. I would also go for the portrait mode. Maybe still not getting the whole bottle in but certainly better than a deliberate half view. Just MHO.

Cheers,
mark.

Sumatra Macro Photography Trip, July 2016 (external link) -"A man is only as big as the dreams he dares to live"
Canon 5DMkIII - MPE65mm - Venus 60mm f2.8 - Tamron 90mm f2.8 - Tamron 180mm - Canon 15mm f2.8 - f3.5 - MT24EX - Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 - Nikkor 50mm f1.4 - Velbon Mag Slider - Novotech - Manfrotto & Gitzo - SYRP Genie & Magic Carpet for Timelapse.

aduda
551 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 22, 2008 07:44 as a reply to  @ CamDiver's post |  #11

Are you shooting these in Manual mode? 1/2 sec seems like a long exposure for f/4.5 at ISO400 with what looks like decent light. It is the long exposure that is causing your blur. Try to get that down.

6D, 5D, 20-35 2.8L, 135L, 70-200 2.8IS L, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 105 2.8 macro, SMC Takumar 28 3.5, SMC Takumar 50 1.4, Super-Takumar 105 2.8

KarlosDaJackal
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 22, 2008 08:00 |  #12

I have a nikon point and shoot, and if you take a photo that blurry with it you get a message on the screen asking if you'd like the camera to delete it for you :rolleyes:

My advise, forget photoshop work on the photo first.

This is how, you took it at iso 400, shutter 1/3sec, with apeture 4.0 with no flash.

Double the iso to 800, then double it again to 1600. This will allow you to double the shutter speed to 1/6 and double it again to 1/12. Still a bit slow for a lens at 27, you really want to get to 1/30 to hand hold. So turn on the flash, flash is good :cool:

My Website (external link) - Flick (external link)r (external link) - Model Mayhem (external link) - Folio32 (external link)
Gimp Tutorials by me on POTN
Gear List

Matt-641
THREAD ­ STARTER
132 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 22, 2008 11:31 |  #13

aduda wrote in post #6155319 (external link)
Are you shooting these in Manual mode? 1/2 sec seems like a long exposure for f/4.5 at ISO400 with what looks like decent light. It is the long exposure that is causing your blur. Try to get that down.

yes, I was in TV mode. Trying stay away from auto as much as I can.

KarlosDaJackal wrote in post #6155388 (external link)
My advise, forget photoshop work on the photo first.

This is how, you took it at iso 400, shutter 1/3sec, with apeture 4.0 with no flash.

Double the iso to 800, then double it again to 1600. This will allow you to double the shutter speed to 1/6 and double it again to 1/12. Still a bit slow for a lens at 27, you really want to get to 1/30 to hand hold. So turn on the flash, flash is good :cool:

Thanks for the advice! I'm still learning what settings are appropriate for different situations, so this helps alot.

I'll have to give it another shot later today:)

My Gear List

KarlosDaJackal
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 22, 2008 12:38 |  #14

Matt-641 wrote in post #6156693 (external link)
Thanks for the advice! I'm still learning what settings are appropriate for different situations, so this helps alot.

I'll have to give it another shot later today:)

That is why we have a CC forum, if your learning how this all works, your better of posting there as your more likely to get help.

This section by experimental means something along the lines of "I know what i'm doing but i'm bored so I'm gonna do something unconventional". But for some reason these pictures are grouped with still life and B+W also. Good fun though you never quite know what you'll get in this part of the forums :D

My Website (external link) - Flick (external link)r (external link) - Model Mayhem (external link) - Folio32 (external link)
Gimp Tutorials by me on POTN
Gear List

aduda
551 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 22, 2008 12:48 as a reply to  @ Matt-641's post |  #15

Good call on staying away from auto.

If you are in Tv mode, like for this shot, crank up the shutter speed you are using. Looks like you used 1/2 or 1/3 for these. I would say try to get it to at least 1/100.

The other option would be to use Av mode, and choose a good aperture.

A good practice here would be to "bracket" your shots. You can set it to Tv mode, and choose a speed you think is good, then shoot one shot at a slower speed, and one at a faster speed. You can do the same in Av mode. Choose the aperture you think is best, then shoot a shot with a larger aperture, and one with a smaller aperture.

I have learned a lot by bracketing shots this way and comparing the results.

Another thing to consider is increasing the amount of light you have. Take it near a window or something.

6D, 5D, 20-35 2.8L, 135L, 70-200 2.8IS L, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 105 2.8 macro, SMC Takumar 28 3.5, SMC Takumar 50 1.4, Super-Takumar 105 2.8

sponsored links

1,825 views & 0 likes for this thread
Refreshing
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.