Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Aug 2008 (Sunday) 01:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A Different Lens Cap Keeper

KIP
74 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 24, 2008 01:24 |  #1

Hi all. Did a quick search regarding lens cap keepers, and saw most of you (like myself) keep the cap in your pocket, or choose to use the sticky leash purchased at the store. I've tried these and was fed up with both. The sticky leash sticky wore off, and the cap was always in the way. And the pocket method naturally does the trick, except for when I forget to put it in my pocket. I'm excitable, and in bars often. I needed a reliable, interchangable, and strong solution.

So, I had this idea. Lying around were some industrial strength costume snaps:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …itakun/forums/0​0259-1.jpg (external link)

If each lens cap were to be outfitted with a male end and each neck strap fitted with the female end, then I'd always be covered. I presented the idea to my husband, who has experience with lots of different materials with his job in a fabrication shop. His first task was to drill holes into the cap and "sew" on the snap with 16 gauge (or less, the label fell off the spool) stainless steel wire:

http://img.photobucket​.com …kkitakun/forums​/00244.jpg (external link)

(We used the 35-80mm kit lens from our Rebel GII 35mm as a test subject)

After that, he sealed the backside with Magi-Sculpt Two Part Epoxy Resin (external link) :

http://img.photobucket​.com …kkitakun/forums​/00255.jpg (external link)

This is where I voiced concern. Won't the epoxy cause off-gas that will leave a permanent mark on the UV Filter (or in this case, the glass directly)? He consulted with co-workers who agreed this material does not produce any off-gas. And we can confirm that after about 6 months of the lens cap attached to the lens that there is no damage to the glass:

http://img.photobucket​.com …itakun/forums/0​0253-1.jpg (external link)

My real reason for posting all of this is for an opinion. Good idea? Bad idea? I have not given this treatment to the rest of my lenses, nor have I wasted the effort sewing up the neck straps yet. I've been lurking these boards for a while, and finally found some time to play in my lightbox. I've been wanting to ask everyone's opinion before I go drilling the heck out of all my caps.

So, would you do this?

http://img.photobucket​.com …itakun/forums/0​0262-1.jpg (external link)

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=6166215&post​count=1334

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 24, 2008 01:28 |  #2

Interesting solution but nope...

That's what pockets are for.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Chandler.
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 24, 2008 01:36 |  #3

I could see it as working well for say a 58mm lens cap, but when you're working with 77mm lens caps, I think they would be too cumbersome when attached to the neck strap.

Cool idea though.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

JouerCanon
81 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 24, 2008 04:18 |  #4

I'd be wary of doing that for lenses that have a higher domed front element. There's a gap from flush to the back of the cap for this. Or you can just reduce the amount of epoxy you use. Otherwise, this is a very good solution.

U.S. Army
Airborne!

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 24, 2008 10:41 |  #5

Wow thats certainly a different approach! First off thanks for the review! Do you by chance have any images of the cap attached to the female end on the neck strap? While I dont really like the idea of "drilling" any of my camera gear, the concept seems to be a good one. But like others I have always just thrown my lens caps in my shirt pocket or left them in the bag all together and just used the lens hood as a protective cover.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 24, 2008 10:56 |  #6

Instead of drilling and using wire, then covering up the bottom, I would have just attached the cap using some 2-part epoxy. 2-part epoxy is tough as nails. I don't see it ever coming off once attached.

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 24, 2008 10:57 |  #7

cowboylife wrote in post #6167901 (external link)
Instead of drilling and using wire, then covering up the bottom, I would have just attached the cap using some 2-part epoxy. 2-part epoxy is tough as nails. I don't see it ever coming off once attached.

Now theres a better idea! Do they make an epoxy thats black? That way it would look cleaner too.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
3,220 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 24, 2008 11:04 |  #8

ben_r_ wrote in post #6167912 (external link)
Now theres a better idea! Do they make an epoxy thats black? That way it would look cleaner too.

Once dried, it appears pretty yellow. But those caps appear to have enough surface area that hopefully you wouldn't see it.

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 24, 2008 12:28 as a reply to  @ Laramie's post |  #9

Too much work and effort...pockets are much easier. And if you're wearing cargo pants or shorts, there's no shortage of them.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 24, 2008 12:39 |  #10

If you are going to go through all that effort Id think is is best just to leave the cap in the camera bag. Snaps will wear, and may pop off the strap without you noticing. This I think is rather easy as the strap flops arround as you use the camera. To me the pocket is best.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 24, 2008 13:11 |  #11

KIP wrote in post #6166334 (external link)
Hi all. Did a quick search regarding lens cap keepers, and saw most of you (like myself) keep the cap in your pocket, or choose to use the sticky leash purchased at the store. I've tried these and was fed up with both. The sticky leash sticky wore off, and the cap was always in the way. And the pocket method naturally does the trick, except for when I forget to put it in my pocket. I'm excitable, and in bars often. I needed a reliable, interchangable, and strong solution.

Here is my solution to the problem. Binder clip with some electrical insulation tape. Its worked out VERY well for years.

http://img.photobucket​.com …s/v200/gjman/IM​G_1186.jpg (external link)

I wonder how long I have to hang out on POTN before I get as good as Ansel Adams ?

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 24, 2008 14:03 |  #12

gjman wrote in post #6168572 (external link)
Here is my solution to the problem. Binder clip with some electrical insulation tape. Its worked out VERY well for years.

QUOTED IMAGE

Ha! Thats not a bad idea either!

gjman
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 24, 2008 18:28 |  #13

ben_r_ wrote in post #6168848 (external link)
Ha! Thats not a bad idea either!

This thread reminds me about the Soviet vs US approach to writing in Space. I am sure everyone has heard the story.

Every time someone tries to make fun of my method I gently remind them that the 58mm Lens cap costs $8.50 and 77mm lens cap costs $10.95 not including the $4.45 shipping. So its not worth loosing them and my clip makes sure of that.

I wonder how long I have to hang out on POTN before I get as good as Ansel Adams ?

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 25, 2008 01:20 |  #14

gjman wrote in post #6170203 (external link)
This thread reminds me about the Soviet vs US approach to writing in Space. I am sure everyone has heard the story.

Would that be:

The US spends $1,000,000 developing a pen that writes in all temps at all attitudes while the Soviets determined that a pencil works just fine? :lol:

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

JBaz
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 25, 2008 01:25 |  #15

haha, I could believe that. The binder clip idea looks really promising.

Camera Gear

"Besides the military, photography is the only profession of where you can be proud of shooting people..."

sponsored links

2,985 views & 0 likes for this thread
A Different Lens Cap Keeper
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.