Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Aug 2008 (Tuesday) 08:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

20d repair costs?

hitmanh
136 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 26, 2008 08:04 |  #1

I have a broken 20d gathering dust. The thing took a 3 foot drop onto concrete about 10 months ago and went gaga (the shutter starts firing as soon as you put a battery in). Instead of getting it repaired at the time I opted to upgrad to a 40d. Since then I've become interested infra-red photography and have been thinking about buying a 20d and having it converted.
Looking on ebay I can pick up a used 20d for around £200, however I remembered my nutty 20d. So, does anyone have a clue about possible repair costs? Is it likely to be more than the cost of a 2nd hand 20d?

Cheers

Matt

"In Photography, as in all arts, the quality of the human imagination is the only thing that counts - technique, and technical proficiency, mean nothing in themselves." CLARENCE JOHN LAUGHLIN
www.hitmanh.com (external link)
40D and some luck

MGW172
503 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 26, 2008 11:25 |  #2

hitmanh wrote in post #6180841 (external link)
I have a broken 20d gathering dust. The thing took a 3 foot drop onto concrete about 10 months ago and went gaga (the shutter starts firing as soon as you put a battery in). Instead of getting it repaired at the time I opted to upgrad to a 40d. Since then I've become interested infra-red photography and have been thinking about buying a 20d and having it converted.
Looking on ebay I can pick up a used 20d for around £200, however I remembered my nutty 20d. So, does anyone have a clue about possible repair costs? Is it likely to be more than the cost of a 2nd hand 20d?

Cheers

Matt

Here in the US it seems that $185 plus $15 for overnight shipping back to you is the lowest service charge by Canon. That rate does not include any parts (although it seems if the part is minor, that it can be included in the minimum service price.....I think it depends on the kind of day the technician is having) and it sounds like you will need some.

But Canon will evaluate your camera and give you an estimate for the work for free (well, you have to pay return shipping if you don't get it fixed), so why not just send it in and find out exactly how much it will cost?

7D | 20D | Canon 10-22 | Canon 15-85 | Canon 70-300 L | Canon 100-400 L

LAMMYPAUL
334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 26, 2008 13:53 |  #3

hello, i have just got a 20d with ERR 99 problem, here in the UK, H LEHMAN Ltd want £162 plus parts for a standard service to the 20d body, which will hopefully solve the problem ERR 99.

cheers paul

make the most of what you have got.

Mstar
Goldmember
1,946 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2006

Aug 26, 2008 15:11 |  #4

Had my 20 calibrated two years ago, and my 16-35 also calibrated at the same time for £230. I had an AF fault, which they discovered and had fixed.

Canon 20D, 7D +grip
16-35 F2.8 MKIIL; 10-22mm f3.5-4.5
18-55 F3.5-F5.6 kit lens, 70-200 F2.8 , L; 50mm F1.8 Kenko extension tubes; 430 Flash
Various filters, Diagonal Haoda focus screen, Canon 1.4 extender

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

853 views & 0 likes for this thread
20d repair costs?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.