Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 28 Aug 2008 (Thursday) 18:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2nd wedding shoot

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 28, 2008 18:54 |  #1

I'm a senior graphic designer with strong roots in fine arts. I studied photography in college and spent many a day in the dark room. I abandoned the artform because of the high costs in lenses and the lack of salary. Well, I'm making the big bucks and I've just taken the plunge back into photography thanks to the recent affordability of D-SLRs. I've lined up a few shoots so far and I'm having to re-learn the principals of photography. On this day, I picked up a shoe mounted flash, something I had never used before. Perhaps not the best thing to do on a major assignment. For the most part it stayed off my camera for risk of losing control of my exposures. If I can go back to this wedding day (3 weeks ago) I'd certainly take advantage of fill flash techniques which I've recently adopted. There are harsh shadows through this shoot. Otherwise, I'm quite satisfied with compositions and DOF all in all. I can thank Lightroom for a great deal of post-processing to help leverage the emotions and fantasy elements of the pictures.

Only after the shoot did I learn about the 450D's HTP for contrast control. Looking back, I was certainly a victim of metering problems with the groom and bride's deceptive tones.

The 4th image was shot hand-held. A mistake considering I was stopped down quite a bit. Hence the slight camera jitter.

And yes, regarding the last picture, Lightroom two-point-oh's "post-crop vignette" would have been an ideal feature to have since the light fall-off is out of balance. The invention of a time machine is all I can wish for with this one.

I'm new the forums so I thought it might be fun to post my stuff and let the world see the wedding of Robert and Carley Harris, August 2008 :)

(forgive the order of the photographs)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
figmented
640 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 29, 2008 03:23 |  #2

number your photos.

not a fan of the 6th pic, the idea with processing is to flatter the people. he looks bad in it imo, this type of pp doesnt fit the pic imo

Canon 5D - Canon 20D - 580ex - Gary Fong Dong - Stofen
70-200 2.8L IS - 24-70 2.8L - 50 1.8 - 17-55 2.8 IS - 85 1.8
Lightroom & Photoshop Pro
www.slantphoto.com (external link)

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 29, 2008 07:13 |  #3

i agree. I actually gave the client two copies of this picture. I wasn't sure how he'd perceive the acne scaring. I think, artistically, I dug the shot because of the texture generated by the tone contrasts. If he didn't like it, he could always pass for #2.

The second copy is softened and coloured for sensitivity sake.

paul33
377 posts
Joined Aug 2002

Aug 29, 2008 14:21 |  #4

Toooooooooooo big to see let alone cc !!!

Nene Digital Wedding Photography (external link)

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 29, 2008 14:32 |  #5

sorry - these are just default outputs from lightroom from the presentation I showed my client. resolution is set for a 30" monitor and my discretion of size for smaller displays is skewed.

thanks for the heads up - i'll definitely take that into account the next time i post :)

paul33 wrote in post #6204763 (external link)
Toooooooooooo big to see let alone cc !!!

Keithaba
211 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 29, 2008 14:57 |  #6

I really like the composition of #3. I'd like to see you use the lasso tool to select that bouquet, adjust the colors, and add some saturation. It would make the bouquet colors pop a little more. Also did you clone stamp the clouds in the upper right quadrant? It looks a little funny. Was is smudge on the lens, hopefully not a dirty sensor?

On number 2, I love the playfullness of the shot. Use spot metering to meter the dress correctly. Work with the raw file and make 2 exposures, one of the bride, and one of the rest of the frame. Overlay the pictures, then use a layer mask to try to get the bride, and the rest of the picture as correctly as exposed as possible. Not easy light to shoot in, your going to loose detail in the highlights, or the shadows, I say loose them in the shadows because the bride is always the "spotlight" of the shot!

40D \ 350D \ 17-55 2.8 \ 70-300 IS \ 60mm 2.8 macro \ 28-135 IS \ Tamron 28-75 2.8 \ 580 EXII

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 29, 2008 22:20 |  #7

Keithaba wrote in post #6204952 (external link)
I really like the composition of #3. I'd like to see you use the lasso tool to select that bouquet, adjust the colors, and add some saturation. It would make the bouquet colors pop a little more. Also did you clone stamp the clouds in the upper right quadrant? It looks a little funny. Was is smudge on the lens, hopefully not a dirty sensor?

On number 2, I love the playfullness of the shot. Use spot metering to meter the dress correctly. Work with the raw file and make 2 exposures, one of the bride, and one of the rest of the frame. Overlay the pictures, then use a layer mask to try to get the bride, and the rest of the picture as correctly as exposed as possible. Not easy light to shoot in, your going to loose detail in the highlights, or the shadows, I say loose them in the shadows because the bride is always the "spotlight" of the shot!

Thanks for the feedback. I just got back from dealing with some knob on eBay that is claiming I am defrauding them and opened up a paypal dispute just because their package hasn't arrived in 2 weeks and they payed for ground/international shipping. I'm a little stressed, so it's nice to see somebody cared to share THEIR two cents regarding my shots.

re:#3 There was no manipulation of the clouds (stamp). I suppose it could a smudge thing, I didn't find what you were talking about. I did the two exposures on that shot, hence why the typical blown out sky is now brought back in.

The technique you are referring to was done for #5 as well. The dress was sheer white, but the two exposures trick worked like a charm! I've never read about that technique, I just sorta made it up on my own as I was editing.

Regarding number #2, I agree. The only reason I didn't fix it is because of time budget. The client wouldn't budge over $350, so I didn't feel obligated to crank out 300 individually photoshoped images. Needless to say I'd go so far if I were include the shot in the portfolio.

Thanks again for first true positive comments (after 24hr). It really took my mind off the other crap I was getting worked up about :cool:

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 29, 2008 22:57 |  #8

[QUOTE=Keithaba;620495​2] Also did you clone stamp the clouds in the upper right quadrant? It looks a little funny. Was is smudge on the lens, hopefully not a dirty sensor?/quote]

duh, yeah, i thought you were talking about another picture. I'm back on track with you now.

Yeah, in the haste of things I didn't hone in on that detail until now that you mention it. I was borrowing my friend's lens, and all of the pictures had a big fuzzy spot where you pointed out. I'm not surprised by it because he really doesn't take good care of his gear. But it was an improvised decision (using his lens) based on some technical problems that came up.

Tobiah
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 30, 2008 07:49 |  #9

I like your ideas... some of your processing is way too heavy , which i suspect was needed to save some of these.

number 4 is great and i can see why u want to use it but its TOO far out of focus imo. i recently had a shot like that but i believe it was passable...

here it is

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

the focus hit the tree behind them...

Dont be afraid to redo a good shot because you missed focus. also check your focus or take a couple refocusing each time. I hate it when i have an amazing shot thats oof!

I think you need a cam with better high iso perfomance (from the look of your shots) or learn to light using flashes etc....

the first shot reminds me of the noise i would get with the 350d i had. some people like this though...

i love #2 but her dress is blown out a little.

number 3 is slightly oof and her hair looks very strange and fake against the overprocessed sky.

number 5 is good and in focus , just try not to chop bits off. you can crop later if needed.

6 & 7 show that you struggled with the lighting conditions.

hope some of that helps....

[URL="http://[URL]www.​tobiahtayo.com/"][SIZE​=2][COLOR=darkorange] [Blog] Various canon gear....

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 30, 2008 17:52 |  #10

Tobiah wrote in post #6208455 (external link)
I like your ideas... some of your processing is way too heavy , which i suspect was needed to save some of these.

You're absolutely right about that!

number 4 is great and i can see why u want to use it but its TOO far out of focus imo. i recently had a shot like that but i believe it was passable...

My camera actually died on me in the middle of the shoot. I had to borrow somebody's XTi - a system I was not familiar with. A lot of the shots didn't turn out, and the couple wasn't expecting anything amazing under the circumstances. Thankfully, the wedding was of a friend on a budget. Less pressure, fewer expectations.

I've been looking at your photos and they certainly encourage me to expect better from myself. I suspect that part of that leveraging will have to come in the form of higher costs, ie. a new camera body with more capabilities.

I think you need a cam with better high iso perfomance (from the look of your shots) or learn to light using flashes etc....

I bought my flash the day of the wedding only because the wedding funded the flash. It stayed off most of the time since I had no clue how to use it, let alone did I know what E-TTL meant! :oops:

the first shot reminds me of the noise i would get with the 350d i had. some people like this though...

Yeah, just some PS PP with the grain tool. I love mimiking the look of film. The bride and groom told me the b/w shots were the favorite from the album.

I REALLY, REALLY appretiate taking the time for the comments. I don't regard any of this as very great. I think my subjects were incredible and their vibrance is what make most of the shots incredible. I suppose I'm mostly proud of how I captured it, technicalities aside.

The whole shoot was a struggle because of lighting challenges, hardware problems, being flustered because of the hardware problems... A lot of the learning really comes into play once you actually sift through the shots in lightroom. And outside perspective you provided just makes things much clearer as to what direction I need to go in in the future. So yeah, thanks again Tobiah! :)

Tobiah
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 30, 2008 18:19 |  #11

no worries and well done for taking my cc so well!

I think a couple of things highlighted to me are...

1) You need to be confident with all your gear before even considering a wedding. Failure is not an option. Excuses just dont work.

2) Re the flash. you should know this and learn it before doing a wedding - even if you were shooting for free... nevermind getting paid...

3) A BACKUP IS A MUST and NOT AN OPTION. Higher costs shouldn't enable you to buy the gear. you need the gear and experience using that gear first. that will give you a portfolio that enables you to raise your prices....

I would really reccomend second shooting for another photographer if you can find it (i couldn't so had to go solo but had practiced every aspect of photography that a wedding challenges)

Take care and hope all goes well!

[URL="http://[URL]www.​tobiahtayo.com/"][SIZE​=2][COLOR=darkorange] [Blog] Various canon gear....

madmanscam
79 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 02, 2008 07:14 |  #12

liked some of them

EOS 5D/ EOD 7D/ EOS 30D / Sigma 10-20 EX F/4-5.6 / Sigma 17-70 F/2.8-4.5 / Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 Mk II / Canon EF 85mm F/1.8 USM / Canon EF 70-200L F/2.8 USM / Sigma 50-500 EX F/4-6.3
Canon 580EX / Lowepro Computrekker Plus AW

sponsored links

2,106 views & 0 likes for this thread
2nd wedding shoot
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.