Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 Aug 2008 (Friday) 19:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"Pro" or not? you tell me

OneEyedJack
608 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 29, 2008 19:53 |  #1

so before today ive considered myself a novice photographer. I started as a hobby and gradually grew more involved. ive been shooting for about a year and by no means do i consider myself a professional..well until today.

Today i got hired at a studio that deals with graduation portraits, sports team portraits, and less frequently, family portraits.

Can i now consider myself a "pro" or am i still in the ameture catigory?

My wage is $8.00 per hour, all rights to the photos i take while on the clock are property of the studio. i own no rights to them. All the gear is being supplied by the studio.

basically i just wanted your advice/comments..and of course to brag about my new job :)

the only bad thing is ill be going to the evil side. all company cameras are nikon D70's

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Deckham
814 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 29, 2008 19:54 |  #2

You are a pro if a 'substantial' amount of your income is derived from photography.
What 'substantial' means, is arbitrary.

Lulu Clake (external link)
Zenfolio  (external link)

OneEyedJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
608 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 29, 2008 20:03 |  #3

well, this job will bring in the only income i have..so...

flickr (external link)

Mama ­ Tried
150 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 29, 2008 20:10 |  #4

$8? Thats it?

Body: Canon 50D
Lenses: Canon EF 70-300MM 1:4-5.6 IS USM, Canon EF 28-135MM 1:3.5-5.6 IS USM, 50MM 1.8 II
Flash: 580 EX II
NotNormalPhotography.P​hotoreflect.com

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 29, 2008 20:41 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Deckham wrote in post #6206294 (external link)
You are a pro if a 'substantial' amount of your income is derived from photography.
What 'substantial' means, is arbitrary.

That's like saying a person who flips burgers at McDonalds is a professional chef. Just because you get paid to take photos does not make you a pro.

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 29, 2008 20:53 |  #6

This topic comes up about once a quarter. Let me summarize. About half the folks think "pro" is related to the income you make from photography. The other half think "pro" is related to how you run your business and handle your customers. The two halves never agree with each other, then after a while the topic dies out :)

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographer (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"Always available to shoot your dog"

Deckham
814 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 29, 2008 20:56 |  #7

Hogloff wrote in post #6206463 (external link)
That's like saying a person who flips burgers at McDonalds is a professional chef. Just because you get paid to take photos does not make you a pro.

Actually, it does.
Despite what the colloquial has become, the word means exactly that - earning money. And yes, if you flip burgers at McDonalds, you would be a professional short-order cook - and not a chef, ffs.

There is a general rule as to how much of a percentage your earning are to be considered a professional. Canon, if I remember correctly, make it around 30%.

In the OP's case - you are a professional.

Bigbitt8706
255 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 29, 2008 20:58 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

tracknut wrote in post #6206505 (external link)
This topic comes up about once a quarter. Let me summarize. About half the folks think "pro" is related to the income you make from photography. The other half think "pro" is related to how you run your business and handle your customers. The two halves never agree with each other, then after a while the topic dies out :)

Dave

i thought it was both that made you a pro... btw i had a job like that once, and it gave me a great deal of experience both with taking photos and dealing with customers. if you truly want to be pro (not saying i'm there yet) this will be a GREAT first step. all i can say is do not expect it to be easy!

http://www.clintbitten​binderphotography.com/ (external link)
all images copyright the Temple Daily Telegram and myself.
dont steal my stuff!

OneEyedJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
608 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 29, 2008 20:58 |  #9

Mama Tried wrote in post #6206345 (external link)
$8? Thats it?

theyre starting me at 8 until they can get me out on a shoot and evaluate how i work, then ill be bumped up a dollar or 2.

flickr (external link)

710 ­ Studio
Goldmember
1,786 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2008

Aug 29, 2008 21:00 |  #10

And for the record...

A "PRO" does something for a living.

How you treat your customers is with "PROFESSIONALISM".

Believe it, or not... there IS a difference between the two. Just because a person treats his customers like crap does not mean he is not a "PRO". It just means that he doesn't act with PROFESSIONALISM.

So, if you're doing photography for a living... you're a pro.

=--My Gear List --=
Find me at:
Website (external link)| Flickr (external link)| DeviantArt (external link) | Facebook (external link)

710 ­ Studio
Goldmember
1,786 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2008

Aug 29, 2008 21:03 |  #11

OneEyedJack wrote in post #6206532 (external link)
theyre starting me at 8 until they can get me out on a shoot and evaluate how i work, then ill be bumped up a dollar or 2.

Also for the record... dude... you're getting ripped off! I don't get out of bed for 20 times that, an hour... ;)

=--My Gear List --=
Find me at:
Website (external link)| Flickr (external link)| DeviantArt (external link) | Facebook (external link)

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 29, 2008 21:07 |  #12

Sounds like that place in Walmart.

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

OneEyedJack
THREAD ­ STARTER
608 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 29, 2008 21:13 |  #13

710 Studio wrote in post #6206559 (external link)
Also for the record... dude... you're getting ripped off! I don't get out of bed for 20 times that, an hour... ;)

i actually agree, but it will give me something to put on my resume, and 8 dollars an hour is better than 0 dollars an hour (my current wage) lol

flickr (external link)

thebishopp
Goldmember
1,903 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 29, 2008 21:17 |  #14

That is true, any percentage of nothing is still nothing.

"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." My Zen (external link)

Deckham
814 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 29, 2008 21:19 |  #15

OneEyedJack wrote in post #6206608 (external link)
i actually agree, but it will give me something to put on my resume, and 8 dollars an hour is better than 0 dollars an hour (my current wage) lol

A very good attitude, and as long as you use the time developing your skills (get it?), it's free tutelage :)
Just periodically assess your performance/income ratio ;)

sponsored links

3,803 views & 0 likes for this thread
"Pro" or not? you tell me
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.