Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 31 Aug 2008 (Sunday) 22:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Firefox 3 "Enable Color Management" Trick

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,361 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2007

Aug 31, 2008 22:49 |  #1

Looked for a sticky to put this in but none seemed to fit.

For those that use Firefox 3 there is a little 'trick' that allows your enable color management. I'm not sure of its usefulness, but it does help me better help others commenting on their posts. Here it is:

In the address bar type about:config then click "I'll be careful, I promise!" then place this in the filter gfx.color_management.e​nabled then double click it to set it to enabled. Restart Firefox.

sponsored links
Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 31, 2008 22:54 |  #2

Yes, not obvious in FireFox that this is necessary. After you've done it you can check it, thanks to Rene Damkot, here: https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=2941196&p​ostcount=1

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

mantra
Goldmember
1,617 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 01, 2008 00:43 as a reply to  @ Titus213's post |  #3

MaxxuM wrote in post #6217071 (external link)
Looked for a sticky to put this in but none seemed to fit.

For those that use Firefox 3 there is a little 'trick' that allows your enable color management. I'm not sure of its usefulness, but it does help me better help others commenting on their posts. Here it is:

In the address bar type about:config then click "I'll be careful, I promise!" then place this in the filter gfx.color_management.e​nabled then double click it to set it to enabled. Restart Firefox.

can i do it with firefox 2?

canon 5d markII,24L & 24ts , 35L ,17-40L,24-70L,70-200 2.8ISL,50 1.4,85 1.4 , canon eos 3 ,eos 5 ,t90 , ae program and some very sweet fd lenses
3 analogic Hasselblad and 2 anologic Mamiya

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 01, 2008 00:45 |  #4

Color management is a feature implemented with FireFox 3.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Damo77
Goldmember
4,679 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 01, 2008 00:46 |  #5

mantra wrote in post #6217580 (external link)
can i do it with firefox 2?

No, but you don't need to. Firefox is free, after all ... just download Firefox 3.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 01, 2008 01:22 |  #6

http://www.mozilla.com​/en-US/firefox/ (external link)

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

Bodog
Goldmember
1,306 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 01, 2008 11:57 as a reply to  @ Titus213's post |  #7

Is it also necessary to manually enter your monitor profile in this field: gfx.color_management.d​isplay_profile. I did but not sure I see a difference either way.

On a different note has anyone found an answer to v. 3 sluggishness? I find it is dog slow loading most sites. (sometimes minutes to load, even using the "back" button) Checked the FAQ at Mozilla. com and found lots of folks with the same problem, but no answers.

JimE
Color? It's all relative...

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 01, 2008 12:06 |  #8

Bodog wrote in post #6219769 (external link)
Is it also necessary to manually enter your monitor profile in this field: gfx.color_management.d​isplay_profile. I did but not sure I see a difference either way.

On a different note has anyone found an answer to v. 3 sluggishness? I find it is dog slow loading most sites. (sometimes minutes to load, even using the "back" button) Checked the FAQ at Mozilla. com and found lots of folks with the same problem, but no answers.

known to take a huge performance hit that's why it's not enabled by default.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 01, 2008 12:23 |  #9

Here's an add-on to set the profile in the config file (appears to work) https://addons.mozilla​.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6891 (external link)

I've not noticed the sluggishness you are experiencing. I am using FF 3.01, AMD 64 x2 3800, w/3 gig of memory and sufficient HD.

There are however several things I have stopped using in the way of plugins.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 01, 2008 12:30 |  #10

It's a bit pointless doing this, in my opinion.

When you're looking at photos on the web, they should really be in the sRGB colourspace, otherwise no one without a color-managed browser will be able to see photos properly.

To summarise, it's only a useful feature if you habitually forget to change to sRGB before you upload to your photo host.

The only realistic use for this feature is if you're using FF3 to view photos on your own machine without wanting to convert to sRGB.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 01, 2008 12:40 |  #11

I don't think it's pointless. If everyone had a colormanaged browser, it wouldn't matter what color space was used. Plus I can't control how others post their images so now I'm covered either way. I've headed the problem off on my end before it's even a problem.

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 01, 2008 12:41 |  #12

Pete wrote in post #6219896 (external link)
It's a bit pointless doing this, in my opinion.

When you're looking at photos on the web, they should really be in the sRGB colourspace, otherwise no one without a color-managed browser will be able to see photos properly.

To summarise, it's only a useful feature if you habitually forget to change to sRGB before you upload to your photo host.

The only realistic use for this feature is if you're using FF3 to view photos on your own machine without wanting to convert to sRGB.

Or view photos from folks who forget.

And why should we stay locked in to sRGB? I figured FF 3.0 was progress.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

Pete
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 01, 2008 12:45 |  #13

Titus213 wrote in post #6219945 (external link)
Or view photos from folks who forget.

And why should we stay locked in to sRGB? I figured FF 3.0 was progress.

Until all internet users use colour-managed browsers, then sRGB will remain the standard for web-visible photos.

While FF3 is in a minority (and don't forget that many users of FF3 won't know (or won't care) how to enable the colour-management feature), then any non-sRGB image you display will look wrong to most users.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 01, 2008 14:19 |  #14

I still load MY images with sRGB.

By your method we would all have to wait for everyone else to get their act together.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

Pete
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 01, 2008 14:27 |  #15

Titus213 wrote in post #6220382 (external link)
I still load MY images with sRGB.

By your method we would all have to wait for everyone else to get their act together.

It's mainly because sRGB is the internet standard colour-space (as endorsed by the W3C). People who save their images in another colour space and putting them into the internet are doing it wrong...

Unless you're dealing with print/stock sites, where there might be special instructions to use something else.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

sponsored links

10,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
Firefox 3 "Enable Color Management" Trick
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.