Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 07 Sep 2008 (Sunday) 05:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rural Indiana Still Music

bowtie`
488 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 07, 2008 05:04 |  #1

Shot this image this last evening during sunset and cropped out the guitar stand. Does this image work? Shot with a GND.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Dami
258 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 07, 2008 07:17 |  #2

It's a great scene. I'm sorry to say the very first thing I noticed was the cloning under the guitar.

-- Dami --

mdw
486 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 07, 2008 10:34 |  #3

Dami wrote in post #6257956 (external link)
I'm sorry to say the very first thing I noticed was the cloning under the guitar.

Same here.
It looks like as if the guitar has been 'pasted' on the background which doesn't make it very realistic.

Roger
Copyright © PixelBalance Photography (external link)
My photos are not stock

Canon 50D l Canon 70-200mm f/4L l 50mm f/1.8 l Canon 100mm f/2.8 l Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI II LD

jsvphoto
790 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 07, 2008 14:07 |  #4

Dami wrote in post #6257956 (external link)
It's a great scene. I'm sorry to say the very first thing I noticed was the cloning under the guitar.

Dido here as well. I'd give it another go; seems like it would be pretty achievable. I'd like to see another attempt :)

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

bowtie`
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 07, 2008 15:32 |  #5

Thanks everyone for the input. It is quite obvious that my shopping capabilities are rather weak. I have so much more fun taking shots than messing with them in post. I need to knuckle down and learn to use all the post work properly.

Speedie
353 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 07, 2008 17:31 |  #6

Cool concept though.

Gallery (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | PhotoBlog (external link) | Your photographs (external link)

jsvphoto
790 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 07, 2008 19:33 |  #7

bowtie wrote in post #6259877 (external link)
=bowtie`;6259877]Thank​s everyone for the input. It is quite obvious that my shopping capabilities are rather weak. I have so much more fun taking shots than messing with them in post. I need to knuckle down and learn to use all the post work properly.

I feel your pain...

Canon 7D Gripped; Canon 7D ii Gripped; Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L; Canon TS-E 24 f/3.5 L; Sigma 85 f/1.4; Rokinon 8mm f/3.5; various lights & gizmos

Dami
258 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 08, 2008 10:21 |  #8

Just as a PS tip, instead of cloning, I think I would have selected a section of the grassy area just to the right of the guitar, about the width of the area you want to cover, copied it to its own layer (ctrl+ j) and brought it over. Then, using a mask of the guitar, hidden the excess grass the guitar should cover. Clear as mud?

-- Dami --

bowtie`
THREAD ­ STARTER
488 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 09, 2008 16:10 |  #9

Dami wrote in post #6264787 (external link)
Just as a PS tip, instead of cloning, I think I would have selected a section of the grassy area just to the right of the guitar, about the width of the area you want to cover, copied it to its own layer (ctrl+ j) and brought it over. Then, using a mask of the guitar, hidden the excess grass the guitar should cover. Clear as mud?

Thanks Dami for the hints-n-tips! I could use all the help I can get. I really do like when people say that the guitar looks cut-n-pasted. Must mean I am getting close to getting the hyperfocal distances right.

I tried again the other evening. Tried to give the guitar some angle so it does not look so flat. Too bad the skies were not as cooperatable. I used cloning again though in this image to get rid of the guitar stand. Does it look better?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dami
258 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 09, 2008 18:48 |  #10

Yes, the previous sky was more cooperative, but this "cloning" is immeasurably better. I like this guitar angle better, also. Good job!

-- Dami --

sponsored links

1,560 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rural Indiana Still Music
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.