Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Sep 2008 (Sunday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you back up all your photos?

Scout7id
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 07, 2008 20:00 |  #16

+1 for the Drobo. It's a great little intelligent box. I keep all of my original RAW files on it as well as my backup vaults for Aperture.

-- Don Fuller --
I am a veteran. At seventeen I wrote a blank check payable to the "United States of America" for an amount up to and including my life.

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 07, 2008 20:05 |  #17

Scout7id wrote in post #6261199 (external link)
+1 for the Drobo. It's a great little intelligent box. I keep all of my original RAW files on it as well as my backup vaults for Aperture.

Drobos burn as well as any other drive. How do you back it up?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Scout7id
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 07, 2008 20:31 |  #18

tim wrote in post #6261219 (external link)
Drobos burn as well as any other drive. How do you back it up?

I also use TY DVDs but my Drobo has yet to let me down. I have the maximum four drives in it at the moment. They are all 1TB drives and have had a drive failure. I pulled that drive out and put in the spare that I keep on the shelf. After about 20-30 minutes of the Drobo going through it's self-repair routine, during which I was free to continue to work to and from it, the Drobo was completely back online with all four drives operational. It is truly an amazing piece of backup hardware.

Check it out if you haven't already:

www.drobo.com (external link)

I have no affiliation with the company other than being a very satisfied customer.

-- Don Fuller --
I am a veteran. At seventeen I wrote a blank check payable to the "United States of America" for an amount up to and including my life.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 07, 2008 20:49 |  #19

tim wrote in post #6260684 (external link)
I think it's fairly silly for anyone. If you take photos they're obviously important to you. If the jpgs stay on the server permanently that's good, if you 100% trust the provider. And I bet you have a bunch of data, in a decade you might have hundreds of GB stored there, unless you're paying well for it I imaging they'll dump or compress images at some point.

My approach with DVDs is to assume they'll fail, because you hear stories of DVDs failing every day. This is why I have backups stored on multiple hard drives.

I'm not too worried about it. At most I'd lose 1-2 months of RAW files which is no big deal for me.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 07, 2008 20:51 |  #20

Scout7id wrote in post #6261351 (external link)
I also use TY DVDs but my Drobo has yet to let me down. I have the maximum four drives in it at the moment. They are all 1TB drives and have had a drive failure. I pulled that drive out and put in the spare that I keep on the shelf. After about 20-30 minutes of the Drobo going through it's self-repair routine, during which I was free to continue to work to and from it, the Drobo was completely back online with all four drives operational. It is truly an amazing piece of backup hardware.

My point is if your house/office burns down the entire unit will be destroyed.

Bob_A wrote in post #6261456 (external link)
I'm not too worried about it. At most I'd lose 1-2 months of RAW files which is no big deal for me.

Fair enough. Personally losing one image is unacceptable for me, I don't need a bridezilla or a lawsuit.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 07, 2008 20:55 |  #21

tim wrote in post #6261467 (external link)
Fair enough. Personally losing one image is unacceptable for me, I don't need a bridezilla or a lawsuit.

No kidding. If I were being paid I'd ensure I had as bulletproof a system as possible.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

Scout7id
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 07, 2008 21:00 |  #22

tim wrote in post #6261467 (external link)
My point is if your house/office burns down the entire unit will be destroyed.

Gotcha. Point well taken. Another Drobo or a more portable external drive or my DVDs offsite might be a worthwhile solution?

Don

-- Don Fuller --

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 07, 2008 21:23 |  #23

You want to back up 3TB of data to DVDs? Are you a masochist?

Backing that thing up will be a pain in the butt. I'd probably buy enough 1TB external drives for all your current data. Have scripts that use robocopy to back things up to them. once you go over 1TB i'd suggest you keep try and keep 1TB data silos on the Drobo, so you can easily say "back up this folder" without having to span disks or do anything too clever.

gregpphoto
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 07, 2008 21:47 |  #24

I triple back up everything important. Two externals and a dvd for each 4gb I shoot. I've also got a 500gb hard drive that I keep in a fire/waterproof safe. I update it a few times a year and it has everything I've ever done on it, just in case the other two HD"s fail.

gregpphoto.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

ryant35
Goldmember
4,369 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 07, 2008 22:02 |  #25

How hot does it get in those fire proof safes? I'm sure paper would be fine, but if it gets over a few hundred degrees I would think the drive wouldn't survive.

gregpphoto wrote in post #6261783 (external link)
I triple back up everything important. Two externals and a dvd for each 4gb I shoot. I've also got a 500gb hard drive that I keep in a fire/waterproof safe. I update it a few times a year and it has everything I've ever done on it, just in case the other two HD"s fail.

5DMK4, 7DMK2, 24-104mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS MK2, 17-40mm f/4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 35mm f/1.4,1.4X & 2X TC III 580EXII
www.ryantorresphotogra​phy.com (external link)Photography Facebook Fan Page (external link)
flickr (external link)

SlowBlink
"I like dog butts"
1,926 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 07, 2008 22:13 |  #26

I think mines rated for 1500 degrees F for 15 minutes. Depends on how bad the fire is I guess.

Rob
Anatidaephobia - The Fear That You are Being Watched by a Duck.

gregpphoto
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 07, 2008 22:24 |  #27

ryant35 wrote in post #6261870 (external link)
How hot does it get in those fire proof safes? I'm sure paper would be fine, but if it gets over a few hundred degrees I would think the drive wouldn't survive.

God damn you. I had it all figured out until you spoiled it. But at least it'll survive a flood. I'm thinking about it, and it really wouldn't take much to fry it I'm sure.

gregpphoto.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

ryant35
Goldmember
4,369 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 07, 2008 23:12 |  #28

SlowBlink wrote in post #6261956 (external link)
I think mines rated for 1500 degrees F for 15 minutes. Depends on how bad the fire is I guess.

If you keep it on the floor, you should be ok. The average house fire has a temperature of around 300-400 degrees F or lower at the floor, 1500 at the ceiling. I guess that would make the temp inside the safe less than 200 degrees?

Just make sure it's rated for flooding so the fire hoses don't kill what the fire didn't.

5DMK4, 7DMK2, 24-104mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS MK2, 17-40mm f/4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 35mm f/1.4,1.4X & 2X TC III 580EXII
www.ryantorresphotogra​phy.com (external link)Photography Facebook Fan Page (external link)
flickr (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 07, 2008 23:14 |  #29

I wouldn't trust fire/water proof safes when it's so easy to leave a drive at a friend or relatives house.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,987 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 07, 2008 23:19 |  #30

Take two of these;

IMAGE: http://techgage.com/reviews/seagate/freeagent_pro/seagate_freeagent_02.jpg
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

... and call me in the morning.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

9,769 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you back up all your photos?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.