Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Sep 2008 (Sunday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you back up all your photos?

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 07, 2008 23:32 |  #31

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #6262370 (external link)
Take two of these;

QUOTED IMAGE

... and call me in the morning.

Now you're talking. I have two of these guys plus a few TB's of WD and am looking to get 3 TB more for back up. Oh, don't forget the DL DVD's just in case the drives dump.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
funhouse69
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 08, 2008 05:48 |  #32

I'm a computer guy so I have a Nice little network in my house and built a Server utilizinew RAID 5 so I can withstand a single drive failure combine that with Carbonite Online Backup. It is unlimited and gives me a little more piece of mind just in case something catastrophic would happen.

Here's a Picture of mine (the white drive holders) and one I built for a friend of mine (the black).

IMAGE: http://funhouse69.smugmug.com/photos/368222302_xR8f6-L.jpg

My Online Gallery (external link)
>>> My Gear List / Feedback <<<

For Sale LowePro Super Trekker

SlowBlink
"I like dog butts"
1,926 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 08, 2008 11:54 |  #33

I'm picking up one of those Seagates in the next few days. Maybe two, they're cheap.

Rob
Anatidaephobia - The Fear That You are Being Watched by a Duck.

gregpphoto
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 08, 2008 12:26 |  #34

For what it's worth, I had a Seagate and a Calvary HD crash on me. That said, I was transferring files between the two, while working on photoshop, downloading music on limewire and running iTunes. So maybe that did it.

gregpphoto.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Matthew62024
264 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 08, 2008 12:53 |  #35

I am in process of setting myself up for good protection. I have parts ordered and should be here in a couple days. Here is what I will have.

1. My computer will have 2 x 500GB HDs that mirror each other.
2. I am building a Windows Home Server that works something like a Drobo. It protects the files from a single hard drive failure and allows you to add more drives at any time. I think this is a step better by letting you add more then just 4 drives. My motherboard will support 6 drives internal and 1 external esata before I have to make any changes. It also works as a media server and backs up the data from up to 10 PCs on your network. So that PC from numnber 1 that is mirrored will also be backed up to my WHS.
3. I will also have external hard drives that I rotate and keep one copy of everything off site. I will use 2 x 1TB drives to start and once those fill up I will keep one off site that is full and not bring it back home. I will then buy a new 1TB drive to replace it and format the other full one and start the rotation all over again.

For now that is going to have to work. Later down the road I might look into online storage as well, but not at this point. This is just a hobby for me and I don't get paid. Computers just happen to be another hobby to me and I know how bad one's luck can get and loose everything even when they think they are safe.

40D with BG-E2N grip | XTi with BG-E3 grip | 430EX
EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 70-200mm f4 L IS | EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS | EF-S 18-55mm Kit Lens | EF 50mm f1.8

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,779 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 08, 2008 12:55 |  #36

It is important to understand the major difference between 'data redundancy' and 'archiving'.
You can have data in more devices than one, which is 'redundancy' to protect against accidental file erasure or drive failure or media failure.
You can have data in more place than one, which is 'redundancy' to prevent loss of data due to catastrophic destruction of one site.
You can have any of the above, in NON-ARCHIVAL form (such as relying upon an optical CD or DVD) or in ARCHIVAL form, such as relying upon magnetic storage devides, like harddrives which are powered up only for data write.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gregpphoto
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 08, 2008 12:56 |  #37

So Archival Redundancy is the way to be?

gregpphoto.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Wilt
42,779 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 08, 2008 13:03 |  #38

gregpphoto wrote in post #6265739 (external link)
So Archival Redundancy is the way to be?

It depends upon your individual needs.

If you are in a wedding photo business, I would respond 'Yes', to not only service the current job but also be able to handle future requests for prints. If you are a photojournalist, I would respond 'Yes' because your documentation of events can be of value long after you pass away.

If you are merely a hobbyist, I would say 'No' -- after all, who wants access to your photos after you pass away?! While we might think of ourselves as another Ansel Adams, unless you are (or become) famous, your photos of Aunt Agnes feeding cousin Jeremy probabaly won't be in demand. But if you think you need those photos of Aunt Agnes feeding cousin Jeremy while you are alive, you don't want to be reliant upon media that may have become unreadable during your lifetime (perhaps even two years from now), and I'd say 'Yes'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Kauaicrazed
THREAD ­ STARTER
778 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 08, 2008 15:45 |  #39

Wow thanks everyone for your advice and input! Much appreciated!

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 08, 2008 15:54 |  #40

Can you give us an example of archival storage Wilt? Something other than paper :p

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

SlowBlink
"I like dog butts"
1,926 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 08, 2008 15:55 |  #41

After I pick up another drive I'll have mine on two HD's and DVD+R. Other than that all my good stuff's on Mom's fridge but I don't think that counts as archiving. :)

Rob
Anatidaephobia - The Fear That You are Being Watched by a Duck.

Wilt
42,779 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 08, 2008 16:07 |  #42

tim wrote in post #6266856 (external link)
Can you give us an example of archival storage Wilt? Something other than paper :p

USB harddrive, not powered up except to add data, or to retrieve data not otherwise available. No recording technology has a PROVEN long period storage and retrieval as magnetic storage.

Yes, harddrives do crash, but if they aren't powered up, the MTBF clock is not ticking. Non-USB harddrives have the disadvantage of the perpetual change in harddrive interface and connector technology, so if you wrote to an EISA drive in 1990, you probably would not find an EISA interface that plugs into your brand new PC! USB is the closest thing to a universal interface (other than perhaps network drives)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 08, 2008 16:22 |  #43

Yes, but there are no such things as USB drives. They are enclosures that convert the hard drives interface to USB/Firewire/Esata, whatever.

One can always transfer data from a fading medium to a "new" one, when the time comes. It's not like you wake up one morning and EISA no longer existed.

I've manged data centers in the past and hard drives usually fail when they are powered on. If left running, no sleep mode, they will run virtually forever, assuming clean power and controlled environment.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Wilt
42,779 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 08, 2008 16:30 |  #44

bohdank wrote in post #6267044 (external link)
Yes, but there are no such things as USB drives. They are enclosures that convert the hard drives interface to USB/Firewire/Esata, whatever.

One can always transfer data from a fading medium to a "new" one, when the time comes. It's not like you wake up one morning and EISA no longer existed.

I've manged data centers in the past and hard drives usually fail when they are powered on. If left running, no sleep mode, they will run virtually forever, assuming clean power and controlled environment.

My point about USB is that (for now) every computer has a USB port, so the harddrive interface type (and connector) are irrelevant, more so than dealing at the level of ST506 vs. ATA vs IATA vs. IDE vs. PATA vs. SATA connectivity.

I know that harddrives will tend to fail more as the drive spins up or down, as the head crashes are not prevented by the cushion of air the heads ride over the disk surface. But I have a very hard time believing that the bearing which the disk spins on does not run into mechanical wear accumulation...the engine in your car depends upon bearing surfaces that have to be renewed every 150k miles or so!

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 08, 2008 16:57 |  #45

I read somewhere you should power on archived drives every 6 months. I backup everything on hard drives, my strategy is i'll migrate data from drive to drive as they get larger, to avoid having a lot of old hard drives in a drawer somewhere.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

9,760 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you back up all your photos?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.