Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Sep 2008 (Sunday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you back up all your photos?

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 10, 2008 15:53 |  #61

So will everything including my heart/brain/lungs/live​r. I'm still not worried ;)

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,698 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 10, 2008 16:06 |  #62

tim wrote in post #6274910 (external link)
Any solution that relies on optical media will fail....But it's inevitable. Magnetic storage will also fail eventually, but it takes a lot longer..

I had this belief myself, after reading on the topic a number of years back. But more recent research shows that the problem, specifically for magnetic tape, is the failure of the binding agent, so the metal oxide flakes off! And that happens much sooner than had originally been thought to occur. I haven't yet read anything about metal oxide coating on harddrives, which only came into being in the late 1960's, unlike the mag tapes which had pre-existed harddrives.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 10, 2008 17:13 |  #63

HankScorpio wrote in post #6280478 (external link)
and the data will soon be brought forward onto whatever super huge media is just around the corner

Don't know about you, but I don't fancy copying all my CD's and DVD's to another type of disk... I have about 550 of them now :p

No, they're not my only backup, but still...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Nouks
824 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 10, 2008 17:18 |  #64

I've got 480 in my desktop, 80 in my laptop. All photos are on my desktop, just the new/unedited/priority things on my laptop. Besides that I've got 2x 500 GB LaCie ext. HDD for backup. One "just" backup, one which I'm using as an external HDD when "on the road" with my laptop to have everything with me aswell.

I used to be Gebruikersnaam.
Gearlist: 1D2, resurrected 20D, 400D, 16-35L, 28-70L, 70-200L, 85 F1.8, cute 18-55, dead 24-70 Siggie, 2 flashlights, expensive bags and loads of CF-cards.
Website (external link)Portfolio (external link)Archive (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 10, 2008 17:20 |  #65

Practacility is one of the main issues - I just can't be bothered messing with small storage media. Hard drives have fantastic data density, and it's easy to migrate data to new/larger media when necessary.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Wilt
42,698 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 10, 2008 17:53 |  #66

tim wrote in post #6282037 (external link)
and it's easy to migrate data to new/larger media when necessary.

Tim,
I share the delusion of ease of transfer. But then I think about tranferring a whole lot of data from a SCSI drive to a SATA drive, and wonder about where I find a PC that can accept the two harddrive controllers to connect to them! So while USB drives exist, my head is in the ground (until the USB port starts to disappear!)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 10, 2008 17:57 |  #67

Just get a SCSI card.

Fortunately my backup/offsite drives are in USB cases, though I recently purchased a cradle that lets me hot swap SATA 1/2 drives, so i'll do that in future. USB enclosures do provide physical protection though. If SATA seems to be on the way out (in 2015 or later) i'll migrate to whatever is new while I have both available :)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Wilt
42,698 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 10, 2008 17:59 |  #68

tim wrote in post #6282305 (external link)
Just get a SCSI card.:)

And what about SCSI-1 vs. SCSI-2 vs. SCSI-3 vs. SCSI-4 drives, ad infinitum?! and parallel vs. serial SCSI, and...
:(

And there still is the problem of moving data from one drive type to another drive type. I guess if you resign yourself of a PC-to-PC transfer to avoid the issue of multiple harddrive interfaces in the same computer...

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Sep 10, 2008 18:11 |  #69

i still have some CD's that were burnt in 1996/7 that are still readable :)

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 10, 2008 18:34 |  #70

Wilt wrote in post #6282325 (external link)
And what about SCSI-1 vs. SCSI-2 vs. SCSI-3 vs. SCSI-4 drives, ad infinitum?! and parallel vs. serial SCSI, and...
:(

And there still is the problem of moving data from one drive type to another drive type. I guess if you resign yourself of a PC-to-PC transfer to avoid the issue of multiple harddrive interfaces in the same computer...

I don't know much about antique technologies sorry :p

Wilt
42,698 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 10, 2008 18:40 |  #71

tim wrote in post #6282531 (external link)
I don't know much about antique technologies sorry :p

Oops, your head seems to be disappearing into the sand, like mine is! :lol:

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 10, 2008 19:30 |  #72

Wilt wrote in post #6282564 (external link)
Oops, your head seems to be disappearing into the sand, like mine is! :lol:

Like an emu, if I can't see a problem, the problem doesn't exist :)

rooeey
-Shorty-
2,554 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 10, 2008 19:35 |  #73

External hard drives...........

1D MK111 , 5D Classic,24-70F2.8, 16-35F2.8, 70-200F2.8 IS a 430EXII 2x 580EXII and a Mac...:cool:
http://s229.photobucke​t.com/albums/ee124/roo​eey/ (external link)

funhouse69
999 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 10, 2008 19:57 |  #74

Sorry for the delay, I missed the post somehow. Actually I am using Super Micro Hot Swap units (which is probably what you meant to say). I am using 3Ware 9550 SATA RAID Controllers and Seagate 750GB and 1TB Drives exclusively. I've tried several other controllers of which some were cheaper but took FOREVER to expand (like 28 days!!!) compared to the 3Ware only taking 4 days to expand a 6TB Array.

I do not have BBU's on them yet I am using a UPS that will shut the system down clean if there is a power failure.

In my experience Burned CD's / DVD are NOT reliable but I agree are better than nothing at the same time I've had the same very disappointing results with Magnetic tape but again better than nothing. This is why I use RAID 5 here at my house, then have everything automatically copied up to Carbonite as a just in case backup. Since I put all of my pics in the same place the backup software will see this and automatically copy them up as soon as I copy them off my memory cards.

I should also mention that I have my complete DVD Library of over 1000 DVD's on my RAID and that connects to a couple of HTPC's that I have have connect to my TV's. Nothing like having your complete DVD collection at your finger tips. I don't back them up on Carbonite as I have the originals if needed.

kalieaire wrote in post #6280581 (external link)
sun micro contaners, nice. i've got a 4u case w/ 8 in my raid 5 array, and another 2 for OS. However they're loud as hell since they're being used as DAS for my video and pictures sitting on my desk. :P I actually want to upgrade to 2.5" sata and run port multipliers. laptop drives run waaaaaaaaaaay cooler so the fans are quieter.

what controller are you using? w/ bbu or not? if not, are you running ext3? and are you daisy chaining the drives together?

My Online Gallery (external link)
>>> My Gear List / Feedback <<<

For Sale LowePro Super Trekker

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 11, 2008 11:41 |  #75

René Damkot wrote in post #6282001 (external link)
Don't know about you, but I don't fancy copying all my CD's and DVD's to another type of disk... I have about 550 of them now :p

No, they're not my only backup, but still...

I recently did it from CD and DVD to Blu-Ray and it was a good exercise in streamlining to the absolute essentials :).

If I lose a lot of stuff it's a good excuse to go out and take more photos.

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

sponsored links

9,743 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you back up all your photos?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.