Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Sep 2008 (Sunday) 16:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you back up all your photos?

slappy ­ sam
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 11, 2008 11:47 |  #76

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #6262370 (external link)
Take two of these;

QUOTED IMAGE

... and call me in the morning.

I noticed these are popular here, and they are on slickdeals today. $140 shipped from frys. Pretty solid deal for a 1TB external.

http://www.frys.com/pr​oduct/5630501 (external link)

40D|10-20|17-50|70-200|580ex
FS: XT with 2 OEM batteries

sponsored links
dougsturgess
432 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2002

Dec 22, 2008 06:50 |  #77

What software allows you to burn across multiple DVDs?

Files are getting larger with advances in digital cameras. I just got back from a trip & have 17GB of movie files shot w/Canon G9 as well as 11GB of image files that I need to burn to DVD. I have them backed up on my DROBO as well as another external hard drive but still want to backup to DVD & store offsite.

I have NERO 7 but when I try to burn the whole 11GB image file, it says there's too much data to copy onto the disk. I was hoping NERO 7 could handle the task.

Thanks.

Doug Sturgess
www.sturgessart.com (external link)
doug-sturgess.artistwebsite​s.com

ryant35
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2007

Dec 22, 2008 08:48 |  #78

I know Nero has a backup utility that you can select your files and it will tell you how many disks you will need. But you can just go onto the disk and grab a file, you have to use Nero to restore the files.

5DMK4, 7DMK2, 24-104mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS MK2, 17-40mm f/4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 35mm f/1.4,1.4X & 2X TC III 580EXII
www.ryantorresphotogra​phy.com (external link)Photography Facebook Fan Page (external link)
flickr (external link)

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Dec 22, 2008 09:07 |  #79

-->CLICK HERE<--

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

fred ­ maurer
50 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 22, 2008 12:17 |  #80

A growing collection of external hard drives.

lostid
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 22, 2008 14:06 |  #81

Print those worthy hanging and make sure you have multiple soft copies of those as well. As for the rest of the shots, I am not sure how often I will go back to look at them or if I ever look at them again. But this is just my opinion and shooting is only my hobby.

flickr (external link) & Gear

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 22, 2008 14:55 |  #82

Backing up to DVD is fairly stupid these days. A lot of external hard drives also makes for human created errors (like I did recently). My suggestion is an internal 1.5TB disk, with a matching external 1.5TB disk kept offsite. Once you fill up 1.5TB technology will have moved on and given us 5TB disks.

Also, delete the crap. I take about 20GB of photos at weddings with my new cameras, I back that up, then cull, and end up with maybe 5GB of data - which is all I end up keeping on my backups (plus some psd files, album designs, graphics, etc).

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,698 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 22, 2008 15:04 |  #83

tim wrote in post #6927977 (external link)
Backing up to DVD is fairly stupid these days. A lot of external hard drives also makes for human created errors (like I did recently). My suggestion is an internal 1.5TB disk, with a matching external 1.5TB disk kept offsite. Once you fill up 1.5TB technology will have moved on and given us 5TB disks.

But Tim, what do you do one day, when your new PC uses a totally different harddrive controller type than is plug compatible with the current internal 1TB drive? At least USB is somewhat insulated from the harddrive controller interface ever-changing continuum!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 22, 2008 15:11 |  #84

Use the network to transfer the files from the old PC to the new one. You'll probably have a factor of 10 or 100 times more space on the new drive.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Wilt
42,698 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 22, 2008 15:13 |  #85

Jon wrote in post #6928049 (external link)
Use the network to transfer the files from the old PC to the new one. You'll probably have a factor of 10 or 100 times more space on the new drive.

You would come up with a perfectly valid response! :oops:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 22, 2008 15:27 |  #86

Sorry about that, Chief!

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

DL.Photography
Goldmember
1,456 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 22, 2008 15:30 |  #87

I didn't back up my photos =( and I my hard drive crapped out on me about 4 months ago.

Lesson learned. Lucky My best shots were luckily stored on a few of my CF cards. Its just a hobby, and I take mainly landscape photos, so I didn't lose much..thank god.

Now I'm temporarily using a external harddrive and a 16gb jump drive to back up my stuff.

- Dan
Gear List & Feedback

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 22, 2008 16:12 |  #88

Wilt wrote in post #6928012 (external link)
But Tim, what do you do one day, when your new PC uses a totally different harddrive controller type than is plug compatible with the current internal 1TB drive? At least USB is somewhat insulated from the harddrive controller interface ever-changing continuum!

You migrate to new drives over time, and drive standards change slowly. My current motherboard supports parallel ata and sata, i've migrated all my data drives to sata and most of the pata drives are in a drawer. Plus like Jon said just stick them in the old machine, or a usb enclosure.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Wilt
42,698 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 22, 2008 16:14 |  #89

tim wrote in post #6928381 (external link)
You migrate to new drives over time, and drive standards change slowly. My current motherboard supports parallel ata and sata, i've migrated all my data drives to sata and most of the pata drives are in a drawer. Plus like Jon said just stick them in the old machine, or a usb enclosure.

Tim, take the word of someone who has been in PCs for about 25 years (even assembling them for myself and friends for about 15 year)...none of the PCs I have encountered had more that a single harddrive controller interface built in at one time: ST-506, SCSI, ESDI, ATA, IATA, IDE, EIDE, SATA, PATA. The fact that your current one does have PATA and SATA is a new one on me...the company I work for has a problem with PCs from 3 years ago having PATA only, and newer ones having SATA only.

tim
Light Bringer
50,997 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 22, 2008 16:39 |  #90

Wilt, in this case I think you're crying wolf. I have hard disks ten years old with PATA that I can read with my brand new machine, if not I can get a PATA controller card, and many machines still support it. I would be migrating data off them now, but I bet in 10 years you will still be able to get data off, probably 20 years too. SATA is current and will probably be around 10-20 years from now, unless there's a huge revolution in storage (which wouldn't be unusual).

sponsored links

9,742 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you back up all your photos?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.