Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Sep 2008 (Monday) 20:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Confession time.... i'm going. Again.

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 08, 2008 20:42 |  #1

Okay I really do have a good reason this time.... and that reason is..........

i'm broke. Seriously I can't seem to find a gig to keep my head above water where I'm at. So, last week on a whim I emailed a resume to some places. Just to get a feel of what could potentially be out there, if I decide to look for a different gig. Low and behold about two days later I got a phone message, followed by a phone call and then a job offer.

So, Sun Valley here I come. For anyone not overly familiar with Sun Valley i'll swallow the embarrassment and point out that it's where Demi Moore lives :oops:, where Ernest Hemmingway died :cool:, a generally really sweet part of my home state. It's about three hours (on good roads) drive home, which I like. I miss my Abby-girl. And has the potential to put me in a much better financial position than I'm currently in. (I have to plan another adventure folks, another big one requiring vaccinations and my passport.) So, apart from giving notice again figuring out the logistics of packing my car to within an inch of it's life... (I really wish I hadn't bought that television).. I'm driving across the country, again. Next stop for me will be my auntie's kitchen and her meatloaf and then pretty, pretty Sun Valley where I will hopefully make oodles of money and then plan my next big thing. :D

It's confession time however. Somewhere along the way my genealogy got screwed up. I'm not really second generation Portuguese, everyone else in my family tree has themselves firmly planted. I'm really a gypsy. After almost a decade of acting like the whole country is my own personal backyard to play in at whatever crazy whim occurs to me it's time to just admit, embrace, stop making excuses for, justifications about, and generally trying to temper folks' reactions to my unpredictibility i'll just come out and say that I have no ability whatsoever to plant myself in any one place. And to keep it photography related the camera has not helped matters one little bit. There are pictures to take people! All kinds of really cool photographs all over the place I just have to be where they are.

So, here I go again.. the beautiful part of this scenario however is that my bestfriend/cousin/ abby-girls momma has (gulp) gotten the okay from her hubby to fly out and then join me on the cross country jaunt. With Abby in tow. But, I have to take the kid to see the Statue of Liberty. She'll cry if we don't. So, a few Idaho girls will be wandering around the Big Apple at the end of the month. and then eating gardettos and licorice and reading cosmo across the country, well abby won't but her momma and I have certain roadtrip traditions to uphold :cool:. Can y'all tell i'm thrilled?.. It seems i'm at my best when i'm leaving...

Sari

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

sponsored links
BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 08, 2008 22:03 |  #2

“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? -it's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”

Sari, Kerouac lives through you. Looking forward to tales of your next adventure. Be safe!

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

saravrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 08, 2008 22:12 |  #3

BottomBracket wrote in post #6269239 (external link)
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? -it's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”

Sari, Kerouac lives through you. Looking forward to tales of your next adventure. Be safe!

I just googled Kerouac... Seems i've been missing something. Hmm... time to find a couple of books for the road trip. How perfect would that be?...

As for being safe i'm much more realistic these days. My first roadtrip I went on was at sixteen I drove from Boise, Idaho to San Diego, California when I was supposed to go to Choir practice. I was in an eighty nine dodge shadow with the bumper held on by a really tough rubber band and only one of the windows rolled down... Good memories though. I just remember thinking how easy it was and how good it felt to not be stopped.

Sari

Skrim17
The only TPBMer without a title. Enjoying my anonymity.
40,070 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 08, 2008 22:16 |  #4

I just googled Kerouac... Seems i've been missing something.

Holy crap I feel old!

Here's to the next adventure Sari!!

Crissa
PLEASE HELP ME FIND MY PHOTOS!! (external link)

Maxxum5
345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 08, 2008 22:20 as a reply to  @ Skrim17's post |  #5

Congratulations! So...Ummm....Where is Sun Valley? California??? :oops:

saravrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 08, 2008 22:22 |  #6

Maxxum5 wrote in post #6269369 (external link)
Congratulations! So...Ummm....Where is Sun Valley? California??? :oops:

http://www.sunvalley.c​om/SunValley/Index.asp​x (external link)

Maxxum5
345 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 08, 2008 22:30 as a reply to  @ saravrose's post |  #7

IDAHO!

Of all there was to read on the pages...I only saw THIS:

Open Hockey (external link)

I may be moving soon myself! Have a safe trip.....

(Looks like the real "North Pole" there, lots of fun!)

saravrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 08, 2008 22:34 |  #8

Maxxum5 wrote in post #6269420 (external link)
IDAHO!

Of all there was to read on the pages...I only saw THIS:

Open Hockey (external link)

I may be moving soon myself! Have a safe trip.....

(Looks like the real "North Pole" there, lots of fun!)

It's actually warmer nestled in all the snow than in the valley.. But, i'm a bit partial to the white stuff just as long as I can pick and choose my interaction. I have a pair of snow shoes waiting for me back home. It seems I'll have my choice of which restaurant I want to work in or a combination of two or three..

GilesGuthrie
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 09, 2008 10:46 |  #9

Sari, be glad that life is throwing you these opportunities. Most of us are planted, and wish we weren't, but somehow never find the impetus to pick up and get on.

Blipfoto (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Twitter (external link)
Canon EOS 1d X, 1d MkIII, 5d. Gear List

saravrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 09, 2008 11:23 |  #10

GilesGuthrie wrote in post #6272393 (external link)
Sari, be glad that life is throwing you these opportunities. Most of us are planted, and wish we weren't, but somehow never find the impetus to pick up and get on.

My cousin and I were talking yesterday. She is as settled as she can get. Complete with the mortgage, husband, three kids, two dogs and a cat. There are definately moments when I see her running kids to and from soccer practice. Yelling about dirty socks on the bathroom floor or packing her husbands lunch and think that her life is idyllic, and that i'm more than a little impressed with those kids that wrap their arms around her waist and want nothing more than her.

I think when I grow up i'd like to be something like her. (Never mind that i'm half a year older)... and in a way she feels the same about me, whenever I call her in the middle of her boiling spaghetti noodles to tell her about driving into NYC, or being on the Atlantic Ocean. Or looking out at the Las Vegas skyline. She says that if she had it to do over again she would have considered the possibilities before her commitments.

There have been moments when I think, okay. I can maybe be still. And then my heels start to itch and random thoughts pop into my head. And I know it's time to move on. There's never anything particularly wrong with where I am. I just think maybe eventually i'll find something thats right. But for now i'm impatient to go. It always takes a lot of will power to complete my two weeks notice and stick to my schedule. I'll be gone soon enough tearing down another highway wanting to make time and get on with it. Whatever 'it' is.

Sari

jgrussell
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 09, 2008 15:43 |  #11

saravrose wrote in post #6272580 (external link)
I'll be gone soon enough tearing down another highway wanting to make time and get on with it. Whatever 'it' is.

I'm really truly envious. Like another writer said, most of us are planted. (There's not a whole lot of opportunity for an expert in the arcana of New Jersey law outside of New Jersey, for example...) But I sure do know that itchy feet feeling and sometimes wish I'd made different choices when I was a lot younger that would have left me with more options now (or alternatively that I had a ton of money and didn't have to work now, or even that I was closer to retirement now!).

-- jgr
blog (external link) | gear | my birds (external link)http://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fK (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 09, 2008 21:23 as a reply to  @ jgrussell's post |  #12

Sari,, enjoy the adventure,, you never know what life throws at you..

My wife and I have always did the 9-5 grind living in the 'burbs but enjoying our professions.. In 2004 my wife's company asked her to project manage an education project in Laos.. We talked for weeks about it then "Why not?".. We realised we would be separated long term but I was able to spend time with my wife in Laos because I had acrude long service and annual leave.. My wife would come home for a few months at a time also.. The project was only suppose to run for 12 months but because of its success ran for 4 years..

I was doing the mum/dad thing with our daughters now aged 27 and 23, while my wife was working in a developing country.. My wife returned home in mid 2007 and was offered another job in Laos.. This time we both decided to go.. I resigned my well paid postion as a photographer for a newspaper which I held for 17 years..

I have taken a 75% salary cut to work as an ESL teacher at a private college here in Vientiane but we just love what we are doing.. Its the best career move I have made in my life.. We have signed 5 year contracts..

Some of our family and friends think were should be committed but we aren't your typical Australian family.. In most cases the children move out of the family home,, in our case mum and dad have done the moving..

Jurgen
50D~EOS M50 MkII~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Woolburr
Rest in peace old friend.
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Sep 10, 2008 01:50 |  #13

Gypsy blood....plain and simple...sorry you didn't get a chance to see this corner of the country...maybe next edition!

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

saravrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 12, 2008 23:27 as a reply to  @ Woolburr's post |  #14

Yep, gypsy is right. I also have really great news. Talking to my boss yesterday she has agreed to let me leave a week and a half earlier than I expected!!.. :D. So, I have two more days of work to get through. Going out for drinks tomorrow night, and then a double shift Sunday, lunch on Monday followed by some time with my sisters. And then first thing tuesday i'm hitting the road. I'm going to get my oil changed and my tires looked at in the morning. I'm almost done packing, and then back west to the hopefully very lucrative job. I really, really want to make the Treasure Valley early enough on Friday to pick up my nieces from school. We've decided to let my visit home be a suprise for them since i'm only staying the weekend. I'll be heading to Sun Valley on Tuesday at the latest. Everyone wish me luck on the new job. Brand new everything. I am excited but as crazy as this sounds it's begining to feel a little routine. I think that's just the packing though, I am getting very, very good at packing.

Sari

saravrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 15, 2008 10:30 |  #15

Update. I'm off. well almost. My car is packed up. Three very large duffel bags, two fairly large tupperware containers, one almost new bed-in-a-bag set, a domke, my computrekker full of nic-nacs (I really need to sell that thing) and my purse.

I'm meeting some friends for lunch at the brand new Italian place we've been talking about for a few weeks, apparently they have caprice, picking up my baby sister from school taking her home, picking up my twin's gps from her work and then hitting the road. I figure i'll be on the road no later than five, stop around midnight and that will cut down on the next three days drive time by a couple of hours. I'll still make the Treasure Valley in time to pick up Abby-girl.

The weekend is packed full in three hour incriments of people to see, errands to run. It's going to be a pain in the butt to find my snow shoes in storage. And I should be reporting to my new job by Tuesday. More to follow.

BTW I love this part. The empty road, packed car, music blaring (I start every big roadtrip with Carly Simon) pack of licorice and camera bag riding shotgun... and days of my own company by the end of which i'll hate the idea of running to a gas station..

Sari

sponsored links

4,209 views & 0 likes for this thread
Confession time.... i'm going. Again.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.