Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 09 Sep 2008 (Tuesday) 08:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Starfield concert - Sudbury Ontario

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 09, 2008 08:30 |  #1

'm a noob with a camera and I took these pictures for fun. I was an attendant of this concert so I didn't have any special access. I just walked around to find whatever angles I could get. My camera has limited ISO so I shot in manual mode and did whatever I could to lock myself in either ISO 400 or 800. (1600 on an XSi yields unacceptable results). It goes to show that with a little inginuity there are ways around not having to spend a forture on cameras like the 1D or Nikon's D3

I'm not looking for CC. I'm just posting these for anybody that might know about Starfield and are interested in checking out the Sudbury show

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 09, 2008 08:41 |  #2

Pity about the focus on #1 and maybe 2.
#3 and 4 are nice. #5 is a bit OoF again.
#6 has an awkward expression
#7 is nice, would be nicer if recovered a bit.
#8 is killed by flash ;)

Good set.

By the way: ISO 1600 is very usable IMO on every camera that was released after the 10D...

Expose well, pixel peep less, print more ;)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 09, 2008 10:18 |  #3

Thanks for taking the time but really, I wasn't looking for technical critiquing. Hence the reason I purposely did not number the pictures. I wasn't assigned to shoot the event professionally, so I was just snapping away and hoping whopping 9-point focus system might accidentally produce in-focus pictures. The lighting guys must have been asleep because the band were playing mostly in the dark the whole night, especially the first half. The drummer was in pitch black behind a screen, so I'm a little curious how else I could have exposed his existence without using flash.

PS - it was my first concert shoot. Pointing out focus flaws, for example, does nothing to elevate my ability to take sharper pictures with the tools I am limited to.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 09, 2008 11:27 |  #4

Guess I missed the "not looking for CC" bit.
Sorry 'bout that...

Anyways, like I said; Nice set.
Thanks for sharing.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 09, 2008 11:39 |  #5

Pearlallica wrote in post #6272212 (external link)
PS - it was my first concert shoot. Pointing out focus flaws, for example, does nothing to elevate my ability to take sharper pictures with the tools I am limited to.

Uh...I don't think your gear is all that limited...and it looks like you had a reasonable amount of light.

In this type of photography, noise is generally more acceptable than motion blur or camera shake. Your pictures will be sharper if you increase your ISO and shoot with a little more shutter speed. Also, your 50 f/1.4 is a good alternative if the light gets really bad.

But yeah...ignore this post I guess.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

lucky04
186 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 09, 2008 12:05 |  #6

haha when someone who is better than something at you offers advice, take it- i dont really see how you can reject a chance to get better at something you enjoy doing.

so uhhhh....nice pics?

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 09, 2008 12:22 |  #7

bacchanal wrote in post #6272686 (external link)
Uh...I don't think your gear is all that limited...and it looks like you had a reasonable amount of light.

In this type of photography, noise is generally more acceptable than motion blur or camera shake. Your pictures will be sharper if you increase your ISO and shoot with a little more shutter speed. Also, your 50 f/1.4 is a good alternative if the light gets really bad.

But yeah...ignore this post I guess.

Yeah, the 50 would have been good but it was up in the balcony packed away and the concert was moving along so quickly I couldn't afford to run after it. It would have never given me any tight shots, anyhoo, since the front was loaded with wild young people and I wasn't about to bring a bracketed camera/flash into the a risky situation. I started out shooting at 1600 which is a photographer's first instinct. I was looking through the results and I was getting the typical harsh reds/oranges/yellows, bright, colourful noise and blown out areas from spotlights. In hindsight my shutter speeds may have been too slow. But at the time I was willing to sacrifice sharpness easily after the shots I was seeing. These guys were being back-lit more than anything and so I ultimately I did have to flash fill if I wanted to bring out their faces.

LOL that expression in 6 is pretty awful. I just like how I got the flash output just right.

But thanks for the tip - I'm encouraged to keep a some faith in my upper ISO settings for the next time I'm shooting under similar conditions.

And thanks for the compliment. For a first concert and from somebody with as many posts as you, that really does mean a lot.

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 09, 2008 13:04 |  #8

Pearlallica wrote in post #6272974 (external link)
I started out shooting at 1600 which is a photographer's first instinct. I was looking through the results and I was getting the typical harsh reds/oranges/yellows, bright, colourful noise and blown out areas from spotlights. In hindsight my shutter speeds may have been too slow. But at the time I was willing to sacrifice sharpness easily after the shots I was seeing. These guys were being back-lit more than anything and so I ultimately I did have to flash fill if I wanted to bring out their faces.

Increasing your iso isn't going to hurt (as far as blow outs) as long as you increase shutter speed to match the exposure. Also, AWB is almost always going to give you a rather red look under typical stage lights. Tungsten WB will get you closer to where you want to be (in camera that is...you always have total control with raw of course).
In situations like #7, where you have bright stage lights against a black bg, you can use a -EC to compensate for the mostly dark scene (generally I would use Av as wide as you can go and center weighted avg or evaluative metering for this). This will both solve the overexposure issue and bring up your shutter speed.
Sorry if you know all of this already, and of course...it does get pretty tricky trying to properly expose for folks wearing dark clothes against a dark bg.
I find it interesting that you used M mode with M flash, P mode/M flash, and Av/no flash at different times. If you remember, what power was your flash set at? Looks pretty low (which is a good thing generally).

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 09, 2008 14:13 |  #9

bacchanal wrote in post #6273280 (external link)
Tungsten WB will get you closer to where you want to be (in camera that is...you always have total control with raw of course).

I find it interesting that you used M mode with M flash, P mode/M flash, and Av/no flash at different times. If you remember, what power was your flash set at? Looks pretty low (which is a good thing generally).

Initially, I was wildly alternating between settings because, again, concert lighting is just so new to me and so I was doing a LOT of experimenting just to see what worked and what didn't. I pretty much attended just for the sake of learning. One can only read so much theory until practice is needed for it to seep in. Thanks for the advice though. I don't have a teacher to critique my efforts, so I'm left to judge based on resources from books and the internet. It's nice to have actual advise about this stuff which really helps puts things into better perspective.

It was half-way that I figured I needed to switch into tungsten WB which gave me the cool blues that expressed the event best. I could have warmed up the drummer pic since it is overly-blue. But I like the look (as if the blue lights were hitting him) and I have no client to please but myself. In AV mode the camera kept selecting very slow shutter speeds, most likely because of tricky metering. M just gave me total control. I had the flash powered as low as I could to blend with the natural light for a natural appearance.

I was constantly tinkering with flash power output. Depending on my distance from the stage I was anywhere from 1/128 to 1/64 but full power for some of the bounced shots since the ceiling was in range and white.

I'm anxious to take some of these principals into my next low light shoot. Thanks, guys, for taking the time to shed some light on my work. (lame pun defintely intended!)

sponsored links

1,228 views & 0 likes for this thread
Starfield concert - Sudbury Ontario
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.