Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 09 Sep 2008 (Tuesday) 22:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Canon Powershot SX110 IS

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 09, 2008 22:30 |  #1

Canon Powershot SX110 IS (usa.canon.com) (external link)

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
greenlight
96 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 15, 2008 13:33 |  #2

What I noticed:

• No viewfinder (bad)
  • Hi-res LCD (good)
  • Manual mode (good)
  • AA batteries (good)
  • Macro .39" (good)
  • 30 fps video (good)

-

CS ­ TAN
43 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 15, 2008 18:14 as a reply to  @ greenlight's post |  #3

Can you operate the zoom when using Movie Mode?

Canon 5D Mk II | EF 24-105L | EF 35L | EF 85L Mk II | EF 135L | 580EXII+430EX | Samyang 14mm

MaDMaXX
46 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 16, 2008 17:09 |  #4

This is just the entry level super zoom upgrade, hopefully the S5 replacement will arrive very soon and eclipse these specs :)

circles_of_confusion
66 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 17, 2008 06:29 as a reply to  @ MaDMaXX's post |  #5

you mean like the sx1 over at dpreview.
20x zoom. 1080p/30fps. nice !

JustinL
Goldmember
1,536 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2005

Sep 17, 2008 19:01 |  #6

CS TAN wrote in post #6312824 (external link)
Can you operate the zoom when using Movie Mode?

No you cannot. I'm in the store right now trying this thing out.

My Site (external link)

cameleon
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 18, 2008 14:22 |  #7

Did you see the video's they made?
Check them out
http://www.canon-europe.com/thefutureof​photography/ (external link) :lol:

MaDMaXX
46 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 18, 2008 14:53 |  #8

Interesting, since the Wednesday announcement, we know more about the digic IV processor, lot more powerful, includes better picture noise handling etc.
From that video, we now know how much more powerful, the 5D needed 2 digic III processors, now they use just one Digic IV processor and they can do even more than they could with the two digic III's.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 18, 2008 15:36 |  #9

The "old" 5D has a single Digic II. The 1D3 and 1Ds3 have dual Digic III processors. Part of that was for the throughput. Using the 1Ds3 as a comparator, the Digic IV may be as much as 60% faster than the Digic III (2x Digic III chips to handle a 5 fps 21+ MP image (105MP/sec) rate vs. 1x Digic IV for 4 fps 21+ MP (84 MP/s) image rate). But the dual Digic III chips in the 1D3 line may not have been running at capacity, since the single Digic II in the 1DsII was handling 16.7 MP and 4 fps (66MP/s), which is faster than the Digic III chips in the 1Ds3 or 1D3 need to operate at.

Inclusion of video capability isn't necessarily an indication of increased power of the Digic processor; PowerShot models have had video capabilities with Digic, Digic II and Digic III processors. Canon just made several variants of the basic processor for the different camera lines. And we're really just seeing this here, as well, although the features of the low-end cameras may be creeping into the higher-end models. AF in Live View, I believe, isn't part of the Digic chipset, and that's where the biggest jump has been made

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 24, 2008 14:40 |  #10

JustinL wrote in post #6328935 (external link)
No you cannot. I'm in the store right now trying this thing out.

Wow, so older cameras can but this one can't? Seems like a fluke.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

MaDMaXX
46 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 24, 2008 14:47 |  #11

_aravena wrote in post #6373311 (external link)
Wow, so older cameras can but this one can't? Seems like a fluke.

Um, no, this is a replacement for the SX100, not the S5.

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 24, 2008 15:02 |  #12

My SD750 can zoom while in movie mode and like I said so can others. So, um...yeah.

*Rebuttal?*

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

MaDMaXX
46 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 24, 2008 15:08 |  #13

Optical zoom? or the digi zoom? most can digi zoom in movie mode, most cannot zoom optically in movie mode.

Gig103
627 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 30, 2008 12:04 |  #14

I was just in Best Buy and saw this one firsthand. Something I thought was cool about the manual mode was that as you adjust your f-stop and shutter, it updates the image on the screen... Yes DSLRs have a DOF-button, but this is permanently enabled and accounts for shutter, so you can learn exposures without trial-and-error.

Plus, for a 10x zoom (f/2.8-4.3) as opposed to the EF-S f/3.5-5.6, and it's very compact! Starting to secondguess my very new XSi.

Canon Rebel XSi
Canon Lenses: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS |
55-250mm IS | 35mm f/2
Manfrotto 190xprob w/ 488rc2
My Gallery (external link)

Big ­ Hands
Goldmember
1,464 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 30, 2008 16:44 |  #15

Gig103 wrote in post #6410150 (external link)
I was just in Best Buy and saw this one firsthand. Something I thought was cool about the manual mode was that as you adjust your f-stop and shutter, it updates the image on the screen... Yes DSLRs have a DOF-button, but this is permanently enabled and accounts for shutter, so you can learn exposures without trial-and-error.

Plus, for a 10x zoom (f/2.8-4.3) as opposed to the EF-S f/3.5-5.6, and it's very compact! Starting to secondguess my very new XSi.

Don't get rid of your DSLR. It is nice to have a compact that can do what the SX 1xx series can do. They are very nice in a variety of situations, but there are times when a DSLR will kill it.

Canon 20D w/grip, 300D, Powershot SX100 w/HF-DC1 flash, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, 85 f/1.8, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 50 f/1.8, 580EX and some other stuff...

sponsored links

18,108 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Canon Powershot SX110 IS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.