Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 12 Sep 2008 (Friday) 10:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tips to shoot a baptism?

0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0
100 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 12, 2008 10:45 |  #1

Finally the first chance to shoot an event has arrived. I'll be shooting a baptism for free next Saturday, so I think it could be a good chance to practice.
The baptism will take place in a catholic church(flash is allowed). My gear is just a 40D, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 and 3 Vivitar 285HV.
My questions are:
-I don't feel that comfortable with the use of flash yet, should I just leave it at home and try to shoot just with available light or rent a 580EX II?
-If I decided to shoot just with available light which lens would you rent; Canon 17-55 IS or Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS?
-Besides formals and ceremony pictures, what else should I shoot?
-During the ceremony is better shooting really close or use the long zoom?

Thanks in advance.

Juanjo Gear

sponsored links
canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 12, 2008 10:48 |  #2

your most likely gunna want a flash... there is some movement in the ceremony and the lighting isnt that good. so i say get a flash. its up to you.

David W.

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Sep 12, 2008 10:50 |  #3

i would go to the church, and check out what kind of lighting youll have at that time of day.. and makeour choice on flash then. your 40D is super capeable. and i think your tamron 17-50 would be really nice..

i dont think you will have to rely on the flash that much.. but i would go to the church and check it out. take a few practice shots just to see what your best settings are.

i might even take both lenses so you can make that choice from there if you want to get in close or not.. but i think you will be ok with the lens set up you have now.. i wouldnt spend money if you arent making any.

0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 12, 2008 10:57 as a reply to  @ shannyD's post |  #4

I'm going to check the church this afternoon or tomorrow. I'm guessing the light inside won't be that much and that's maybe the reason they allow flash.
I'll take some pictures with and without flash. I was thinking of using the long zoom so I don't bother the ceremony shooting that close.

Juanjo Gear

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Sep 12, 2008 11:28 |  #5

yeah i was going to suggest thqt.. but i would bring both.. so you dont wish you would have brought the other instead. you know?

but for sure check it out. and make sure you get your settings right.. bring someone with you, and see if you can use them as a test subject, that way you can make sure and double sure.

0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 13, 2008 14:25 as a reply to  @ shannyD's post |  #6

I went to check the church this morning. I took these pictures with just available light. What do you think? Is that a poor light scene?
I really didn't like the ones with flash. I think I'll be close to the 10 ft limit and just shooting from behind. If I rent a 70-200mm 2.8 IS, do you think I would be able to slow my shutter speed lower than my Tammy 17-55mm?

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Juanjo Gear

0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 16, 2008 10:12 as a reply to  @ 0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0's post |  #7

Nobody? Well I think I'll shoot without flash with just my tamron 17-50.
I think I'll get some blurry pictures. Hopefully I'll get a some good pictures.

Juanjo Gear

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2008 10:13 |  #8

Thye are nice.. but alittle noisey.... can you post the exif data?

David W.

0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 16, 2008 10:18 as a reply to  @ canonnoob's post |  #9

Aperture: 2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/60
ISO: 1600

And I used a whibal to setup white balance.
They look noisey . I'm just worried about blurry pictures using that shutter speed. I don't know if a 17-55mm with IS will help

Juanjo Gear

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2008 10:21 |  #10

well.... your iso is really high.... so your gunna get a decent amount of noise... do you plan on printing for these people?

David W.

0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 16, 2008 10:24 as a reply to  @ canonnoob's post |  #11

Yes. What do you think? should I use flash anyways? Or rent some lens with IS that help me to use ISO 800?

Juanjo Gear

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 16, 2008 10:27 |  #12

i say rent for IS but you need to learn how to use your camera still whne you cant rent one...

David W.

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 16, 2008 10:28 |  #13

yeah use your flash, lower your iso to 400 if possible or lower. and do some more test shots again. i would play with 3x5 white index card to bounce because those ceilings are huge. but i like the shots you took anyway. if it were a straight artistic thing, longer exposure would have been great... but since you will have movement of people and such.. you dont want that much blur. you would rather have more keepers than not.

0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 16, 2008 10:31 as a reply to  @ 0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0's post |  #14

this pictures was using flash:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)

Juanjo Gear

0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 16, 2008 10:34 as a reply to  @ 0(ʹͦˋ¿ˊͦˋ)0's post |  #15

Well I don't like the way pictures look with flash(maybe the ceiling being so high) but you're right I'll get more keepers.

Juanjo Gear

sponsored links

11,821 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tips to shoot a baptism?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.