Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Sep 2008 (Friday) 13:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bridge CS3 auto adjustments

shutter_blitz
308 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 12, 2008 13:45 |  #1

I am using Bridge CS3 to organize my RAW files. I can preview them as thumbnails just fine in Bridge, but once I select a file/thumbnail Bridge automatically adjusts color & WB.
I turned off all the auto settings under Camera Raw preference in Bridge but the problem persists.
Any pointers?

Gear:
Canon 50D
EF 50mm f1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM
Sunpak 383
Quantaray QSX-9500

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 12, 2008 15:02 |  #2

What do you mean by this?

shutter_blitz wrote in post #6294215 (external link)
once I select a file/thumbnail Bridge automatically adjusts color & WB.

I'd guess that your just seeing that Bridge is updating the thumbnail: It starts off with the embedded thumbnail (made by the camera), then builds it's own thumbs (Based on the default ACR settings AFAIK)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

shutter_blitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 12, 2008 22:36 |  #3

René Damkot wrote in post #6294689 (external link)
What do you mean by this?

I open Bridge, browse to my folder of RAW files (never been edited or opened via any editing software). The files were downloaded via a card reader.
Bridge shows the files as thumbnails in its default workspace.
At this point I select one file, ie click on a file to assign a rating, as soon as I click, I am not sure what bridge is exactly doing, but the color changes considerably.

René Damkot wrote in post #6294689 (external link)
It starts off with the embedded thumbnail (made by the camera), then builds it's own thumbs (Based on the default ACR settings AFAIK)

Is there any way to keep this from happening everytime I select a file in bridge?

Gear:
Canon 50D
Sunpak 383
Quantaray QSX-9500

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 13, 2008 05:24 |  #4

*If* the difference you are seeing is the difference between Canon's "in camera" rendering and the default ACR rendering, you could alter your ACR default to closer mimic the Canon version. (Try the new beta "camera" profiles).

Easy way to try if this is what is happening: Set a "way off" WB as default in ACR (tungsten for instance).

Another thing that might cause a difference: Bridge previews the files assuming "default" working space (set in PS color prefs), until it reads the actual embedded profile and honours that. So if the file is sRGB and the default working space ProPhoto, that should give quite a visible difference as well...

Try to find out which it is...

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

shutter_blitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 13, 2008 13:31 |  #5

My images were shot in Adobe RGB. To test a diff colorspace I opened some images that were shot in sRGB in Bridge and this problem did not occur.

René Damkot wrote in post #6298201 (external link)
*If* the difference you are seeing is the difference between Canon's "in camera" rendering and the default ACR rendering, you could alter your ACR default to closer mimic the Canon version. (Try the new beta "camera" profiles).

Rendering of what? The colorspace/WB?

Easy way to try if this is what is happening: Set a "way off" WB as default in ACR (tungsten for instance).

How do I change the ACR default settings?

Another thing that might cause a difference: Bridge previews the files assuming "default" working space (set in PS color prefs), until it reads the actual embedded profile and honours that. So if the file is sRGB and the default working space ProPhoto, that should give quite a visible difference as well...

My workspace in PS is set to a color pref of 'north america general purpose'.
To check if my color settings were the problem, I changed the color setting to 'north america prepress' which is AdobeRGB, but the problem persists.

Gear:
Canon 50D
Sunpak 383
Quantaray QSX-9500

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 13, 2008 18:59 |  #6

Do you have "high quality thumbnails" turned on?

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

shutter_blitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 14, 2008 12:14 |  #7

tim wrote in post #6301294 (external link)
Do you have "high quality thumbnails" turned on?

No, the third option 'Convert to high quality when previewed' is turned on.

Gear:
Canon 50D
Sunpak 383
Quantaray QSX-9500

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 14, 2008 15:01 |  #8

shutter_blitz wrote in post #6299897 (external link)
My images were shot in Adobe RGB. To test a diff colorspace I opened some images that were shot in sRGB in Bridge and this problem did not occur.

Then you probably have PS color prefs set to sRGB default working space...
This might contribute to what you see, and is the only thing I know that can also give a difference in jpg/tif/psd images.
Not sure if it has a big influence on raw's however, since the other difference (ACR vs. built in thumb) is way bigger.

Rendering of what? The colorspace/WB?

Rendering of colors. Have a look here (external link).

How do I change the ACR default settings?
IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20080914-fk9a9bxsfru5e4kp7ubmy9n8ud.jpg

My workspace in PS is set to a color pref of 'north america general purpose'.
To check if my color settings were the problem, I changed the color setting to 'north america prepress' which is AdobeRGB, but the problem persists.

I'm still not sure what causes what you are seeing. Might be both things actually.

Easiest way to see when Bridge has finished reading the files, is to have your thumbnail size a bit bigger then default.
That way the image enlarges a bit when rendered by Bridge:

IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20080914-mbfe5m8s71qkbkwyuwkex4wa2j.jpg

Lower left is rendered by bridge, other 3 are built in thumbnail.

Another screenshot:
IMAGE: http://img.skitch.com/20080915-qxbubf951t18ek6211r5rnh7f4.jpg

Here you can (just) see the difference between ACR rendering of the blue highlight and the (better) built in thumbnail: The left image shows a blue "ring" in the blown out bed (where the arrow points). This is caused by ACR (3.7) rendering. DPP for instance, or the new Adobe "beta" profiles do this better.

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 14, 2008 16:50 |  #9

shutter_blitz wrote in post #6305007 (external link)
No, the third option 'Convert to high quality when previewed' is turned on.

This is why - turn it on, then bridge will properly render the thumbnails when you go into a folder. You might have to purge your cache. Do what Rene said too.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

shutter_blitz
THREAD ­ STARTER
308 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 16, 2008 17:06 |  #10

Rene, Tim. Thanks for sticking with me through this.
Tim, I changed the thumbnail performance settings to 'High quality thumbnails',but it did not work.
Rene I did your ACR default setting test. I saved a cold WB as the default and yes the way off WB was automatically applied to all thumbnails I had previously clicked-on in Bridge. The ones I did not click-on remained unaltered.
So, I downloaded the beta camera profiles and the 'Camera Nuetral beta 1' profile was an effective fix for my problem. I now can see the photos as they were in my camera, in PS. I can now save this profile in my ACR setting with a few tweaks and use it as my default. This should fix the bridge problem too. I will report back.
Thanks.
SB

Gear:
Canon 50D
Sunpak 383
Quantaray QSX-9500

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 16, 2008 19:53 as a reply to  @ shutter_blitz's post |  #11

When you first open an image on the right above the sliders you will see AUTO and DEFAULT..if it automatically adjusts then click on DEFAULT and it will go back to normal.

traviswalken
48 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 17, 2008 15:22 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #12

I am new to photo editing and have noticed the same problem with adobe bridge on my computer. When I left-click thumbnails, the color changes significantly. I have assumed colors I see on my monitor are accurate because I recently starting using a spyder. Some of the posts in this discussion are way over my head. However, my question is, do I have a problem? Are the colors I see when editing photos inaccurate or is the problem described in this discussion just bothersome. Thanks for your help.

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 17, 2008 15:41 |  #13

Look below the image when you have ACR open. There is a line there that describes the default treatment of the image. You can change it by clicking on it. Make sure it is set the way you want it.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 17, 2008 16:03 |  #14

poloman wrote in post #6327799 (external link)
Look below the image when you have ACR open. There is a line there that describes the default treatment of the image. You can change it by clicking on it. Make sure it is set the way you want it.

Just to get no misunderstandings:

If you mean this line:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'application/xml'

That sets the output profile. (In ACR 4)
Has nothing to do with "treatment". Only with color space.

You can alter the rendering in the "Camera calibration" tab.
You can save a new "default" the way I showed in the screenshot a few posts up...

Why Color Management.
MySpace (external link)
Twitter (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 17, 2008 16:35 |  #15

traviswalken wrote in post #6327664 (external link)
I am new to photo editing and have noticed the same problem with adobe bridge on my computer. When I left-click thumbnails, the color changes significantly. I have assumed colors I see on my monitor are accurate because I recently starting using a spyder. Some of the posts in this discussion are way over my head. However, my question is, do I have a problem? Are the colors I see when editing photos inaccurate or is the problem described in this discussion just bothersome. Thanks for your help.

I suspect if you check your thumbnail preferences they will say "high quality when selected". Change it to high quality. The difference is before you click it you're looking at the tiny JPG the camera created and embedded in the RAW, after you click it it's using the settings in bridge to render the RAW into a JPG.

sponsored links

1,873 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bridge CS3 auto adjustments
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.