Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 12 Sep 2008 (Friday) 17:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Focus Point

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 12, 2008 17:18 |  #1

I am trying to find out why my focus point in the center is not what showed up in focus? Comments or tips please.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Sep 12, 2008 17:21 |  #2

What mode were you shooting in?

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

Joe ­ Cyr
979 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Sep 12, 2008 18:34 |  #3

Hard to tell with such a small photo. Everything looks to be in focus, except the adult in the back.

Canon 1D (MARK III),
10d, Elan IIE (old school), 580exII
70-200 f/2.8L, 17-40 f/4L, 85 1.8, 50 1.8 (nifty)
http://josephcyrphotog​raphy.smugmug.com (external link)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 12, 2008 19:56 |  #4

usually it's a matter of you just missed it during the action...but you could have focus issues with the body/lens if it's happening non-stop. You need to supply a lot more info though.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 12, 2008 20:03 as a reply to  @ MJPhotos24's post |  #5

I was shooting in Manual
F-stop f/5.6
1/500 sec
ISO 100

Brittany

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 12, 2008 20:09 as a reply to  @ britt777's post |  #6

Here is a larger photo

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brittany

watchtherocks
579 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 12, 2008 20:11 |  #7

Is there a chance you focussed on the white player, and moved the framing before hitting the shutter? Considering you would be panning right anyway to follow the ball, I think.

Anyone know anything anywhere anymore?

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Sep 12, 2008 20:17 |  #8

Very possible, I just noticed it in a lot of shots.

Brittany

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 12, 2008 20:21 |  #9

WHY are you be shooting ISO 100 at 1/500th? 1/500th is the bare minimum for what you want...you have the best body for noise, bump up the ISO to 400 or so and get a faster shutter for one. You still haven't answered if this is happening often or just random? If random you probably are just not hitting the focal point or pre-focusing and the kid is moving out of it but you didn't refocus fast enough. If it's a lot you may need to send your stuff in to get checked. Also why not post the original image instead of a screen shot?

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

herbe_nelson
321 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 12, 2008 20:31 |  #10

what speed setting do you have the AiServo on? It could be that you focussed and tracked the white player and then moved the focus point off him just before hitting the shutter button. If the camera is set to slow movement off the target when the AF point is moved then it could be that it is still tracking the white player and will soon switch to the red player.

I don't know why you would be complaining though because it seems like the right player is in focus? I sure wouldn't want the player in the background in focus instead of the kid with the ball. I think your MkIII has done well here to track even if you don't have the AF point on your target.

+2 concerning the watching your settings. In that bright sunlight you shouldn't be near 1/500. I don't know why lots people are afraid to bump up their ISO to get a faster shutter speed. You've got one of the best cameras out there for low noise at high ISO. Why not take advantage of that?

Nelson
www.flickr.com/photos/​herbe_nelson (external link)
www.nelpix.com (external link)

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,881 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 12, 2008 20:57 |  #11

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #6296397 (external link)
WHY are you be shooting ISO 100 at 1/500th? 1/500th is the bare minimum for what you want...you have the best body for noise, bump up the ISO to 400 or so and get a faster shutter for one. You still haven't answered if this is happening often or just random? If random you probably are just not hitting the focal point or pre-focusing and the kid is moving out of it but you didn't refocus fast enough. If it's a lot you may need to send your stuff in to get checked. Also why not post the original image instead of a screen shot?

probably because there are some here on the sports boards recommending those kind of settings. despite trying to set things straight, all that comes back is a defense of an incorrect position. so much for trying to help.

OP, my guess is its a focus/recompose issue most likely.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 12, 2008 23:14 |  #12

I owned one of the early MkIII's and experienced about every AF problem you have read about and never had it be as far off as the photo you show. Unless every photo you take is off similar to this, it is most likely you set your original focus on the player with the ball and your reflex movement anticipating the ball moving shifted your AF point and the camera is still catching up. If you shot a burst, what did the photo before and after look like?

I also don't shoot sports at 100 ISO any longer regardless of how bright and sunny it is. I am a sharpness freak and love being able to shoot at 1/2000 - 1/4000. I will adjust ISO to 800 before even considering letting the shutter speed below 1/2000. The performance of the MkIII, even at ISO 3200, is a huge benefit. Take full advantage of it.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

sponsored links

1,273 views & 0 likes for this thread
Focus Point
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.