Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Sep 2008 (Saturday) 08:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

I have seen the 50D with my own eyes!

Kenski
724 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 13, 2008 08:46 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

So the GF and I got back from a cruise a week ago and I watched this guy walk in with what appeared to be a 40D on a bracket with a 580ex II and the omni-sphere diffuser. He was there to take pictures of his friend performing on stage and then proposing to his GF. All of a sudden he starts using the live view funtion more then the viewfinder and it boggled me. Why would he be using that to take pictures of people??? Couldn't figure it out!!! After the show I walked up to him and he told me he was testing the new 50D and yup, it sure was. The live view feature on it makes it like a point and shoot but burns up batteries he said. Better then the 40D is some aspects but nothing like the 5D in image quality (HIS OWN WORDS). At the time I didn't know alot about this camera so I didn't ask about the background sharpness and how it works. He did say it was a good camera and will make things eaiser for the average user.

Ill tell you what too, this doesn't have to do with the 50D but after this trip, I am SOOOO tempted to sell my 17-40 thanks to the 10-22... That lens is tack sharp. I dont think it focuses as fast as the 17-40 but the images are AMAZING! Maybe sell the 17-40, 50mm 1.2, and my 60mm macro to pick up a 85 1.2 as I used that to shoot a band recently and made ALOT of money off of them in sales. I did the shoot for free but told them I would be charging for photos and WOW, did I make out!!

[highlight]40D, 30D, 300D 10-22mm 15mm 17-40mm 24-70mm 50mm 60mm 70-200 IS, 100-400 IS[/highlight]
"One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photos out of focus is an experimentation, one hundred photos out of focus is a style."
Kenski Photography (external link)

Kenski
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 13, 2008 08:48 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

BTW, dont flame me, I wasn't about to read 200 posts on the 50D. I have some catching up to do on the board as I didn't read it before I left due to photo editing and this is the first time Ive been on it since we got back Sunday....

[highlight]40D, 30D, 300D 10-22mm 15mm 17-40mm 24-70mm 50mm 60mm 70-200 IS, 100-400 IS[/highlight]
"One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photos out of focus is an experimentation, one hundred photos out of focus is a style."

Medic1
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Sep 13, 2008 09:09 |  #3

Interesting to hear someone who's testing the 50D state that it doesn't compare in IQ to the 5D. I am in the process of deciding between the 50D and 5D, and heavily leaning toward the 5D. Just having a hard time pushing myself over that edge towards the older technology...

Thanks for posting

Gear List

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,923 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 13, 2008 13:45 |  #4

Kenski wrote in post #6298692 (external link)
... Better then the 40D is some aspects but nothing like the 5D in image quality (HIS OWN WORDS)....

That's a bit surprising as the 40D at ISO 800 and below matches with the 5D pretty closely.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,540 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 13, 2008 14:20 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #6299935 (external link)
That's a bit surprising as the 40D at ISO 800 and below matches with the 5D pretty closely.

He said image quality, not noise. I suspect he was referring to the higher resolution of the 5D as an optical system vs. the 50D.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

TheShotLessTaken
91 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 13, 2008 14:29 |  #6

BS guaranteed. Theres no way cameras of these calibers differ that much anyways in overall IQ. Just peoples "anal" opinions over small tiny details that dont matter over-all in the end result. (Basically are not visible)

himynameisfrank

Nikon D300/Nikon D200 | Nikkor 18-200mm VR | Nikkor 105mm VR f/2.8 | Tokina 12-24mm AT-X Pro f/4

paiintballa182
797 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 13, 2008 14:33 |  #7

False...

The 5d produces a distinctively different image then a 1 series, or 40, 30, 20, 10d

Jamie ­ Holladay
Cream of the Crop
21,557 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 13, 2008 14:59 |  #8

Ok lets keep this nice in here or this thread will go straight to the hauler and the door slammed closed.
Thanks for playing.

The Site  (external link)The Gallery  (external link)The Gear (external link)

"If you really want something done, ask a busy person." Toms wife

Nothing is more Exhilarating than combining my two passions, the speed of a shutter, the speed of a car; What a Rush! ~ me

What stands between you and greatness sits between your ears, not in your camera bag. ~ John Thawley

You know I can't spell just sound it out. ~ me

Kenski
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 13, 2008 15:02 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

ok....

Let me say this then.... If they didn't produce a "distinctively different image ", Why would they have a different price tag?

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 13, 2008 15:10 |  #10

Kenski wrote in post #6300269 (external link)
ok....

Let me say this then.... If they didn't produce a "distinctively different image ", Why would they have a different price tag?

Thanks for the info as you found it on the 50D. I am not planning to move to that model since I just bought my 40d a few months back and it's fine for having fun with...BUT, after hanging out that the POTN Gathering we had here in SoCal at Dwight & Marnie's a leetle while back, I want to eventually grab a Mk-somethingorother in a year or two. Know one of the reasons? The shutter is soooooo much quieter than my 40D. Did you by chance get to hear the shutter click (I supposed better called the 'mirror flip') of the 50D? If so how was it in comparision to the other bodies you are familar with?

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

Kenski
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 13, 2008 15:14 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Yeah, I actually just picked my 40D up in Feb and honestly, the liveview is something I dont thing I could use anyways with a DSLR. I trust what this guy said too about IQ that it being slightly better then the 40D but less then then the 50D so it really isn't worth it over the 40D but Im sure others will have a different opinion. Its not much faster, the buffer is slightly bigger and I really dont know that much about digic 4 to know how much better it is over 3. SOOOOO, 40D it is till the release a different 5D and I doubt I will pick that up with the EF-S lenses I do own.

Pandya
243 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 13, 2008 15:27 |  #12

Kenski wrote in post #6300269 (external link)
ok....

Ergonomics, build quality and features.

I can believe there would be a noticable difference between the two though, isn't the 5D meant to have a nice weak aliasing filter that gives it those nice stupidly sharp images?

I don't however believe that the 5D's IQ would be visibly or quantifiably better than the 50D's. Another issue to note is that one of the mini-reviews of a guy who was testing the 50D was shooting jpeg because there wasn't anything that could read the 50D's RAWs. Image quality could be at the mercy of the jpeg settings.

flickr (external link)

Kenski
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 13, 2008 15:37 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Pandya wrote in post #6300353 (external link)
Ergonomics, build quality and features.

I can believe there would be a noticable difference between the two though, isn't the 5D meant to have a nice weak aliasing filter that gives it those nice stupidly sharp images?

I don't however believe that the 5D's IQ would be visibly or quantifiably better than the 50D's. Another issue to note is that one of the mini-reviews of a guy who was testing the 50D was shooting jpeg because there wasn't anything that could read the 50D's RAWs. Image quality could be at the mercy of the jpeg settings.

You are totally correct. Image quality IS at the mercy of the JPEG setting. This guy had more bodies then LA Lakers cheerleading squad so I have a tendency to believe him when he talked about he QUALITY of the pictures. He says he likes the 50D for an overall "WHATEVER' camera and maybe more for something fast paced but for low light, wedding, and portrait, you still can't beat the 5D for the money... But of course he still preferedthe III :)

brecklundin
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 13, 2008 15:41 |  #14

Kenski wrote in post #6300309 (external link)
Yeah, I actually just picked my 40D up in Feb and honestly, the liveview is something I dont thing I could use anyways with a DSLR. I trust what this guy said too about IQ that it being slightly better then the 40D but less then then the 50D so it really isn't worth it over the 40D but Im sure others will have a different opinion. Its not much faster, the buffer is slightly bigger and I really dont know that much about digic 4 to know how much better it is over 3. SOOOOO, 40D it is till the release a different 5D and I doubt I will pick that up with the EF-S lenses I do own.

sounds like me too...I did read some specs on the 50D which are sure interesting. One that really is not something I need today (or likely in the near future) is the larger image size. Just takes more HDD space.

One thing I am very interested in is the Digic 4 processor. If it's just an incremental step up, not a big deal. I wonder too how much of the increased processor power is sucked up managing the increased number of pixels to deal with so we might not see that much difference in something like rapid 'splatter' mode even if the buffer is larger.

For me my 40D will certainly last a long time and, well, by then folks with the MkIII's will be upgrading to the Mk9k-Turbo-Super-Stealthy-Indestructo body, so we should be able to find some nice prices... :D

Real men shoot Pentax because we're born with our own Canon's!!
{Ok...ok, some of use just have a PnS but it it always makes me happy! :D}
Pentax K5, K20D, Three Amigos (Pentax FA 31/1.8 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 43/1.9 Limited Silver, Pentax FA 77/1.8 Limited Silver), Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited, Sigma 24-60/2.8

Kenski
THREAD ­ STARTER
724 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Sep 13, 2008 15:44 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

Very true... I just dont want to get into a pissing contest on the 5D is better then the XXD. I know it is in some aspects... but I think the 40D has better quailities in other aspects..... the 40D is a GOOD overall camera... NO DOUBT.. If you are JUST doing wedding photograhy, GO WITH THE 5D!!!! HANDS DOWN! I dont have a niche yet so I will keep my 40D.

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

3,910 views & 0 likes for this thread, 11 members have posted to it.
I have seen the 50D with my own eyes!
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.