Here are the Terms and Conditions for entries for Volume 3 of the POTN Photo Book. Any questions please post below or contact one of the Book Committee. Full details of the Book Team are listed here:
Further explanation can be found in the FAQ:
POTN Book Volume 3 Terms and Conditions
1. This competition (“the Competition”) is open to all Photography-on-the.net forum ("POTN") members whose join date is 1 July 08 or earlier with a minimum of 30 posts.
2. All information detailing how to enter this Competition forms part of these terms and conditions. It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the competitor agrees to abide by these rules. The decision of the Book Committee is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Submission of an entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
3. Entries should be submitted as a digital image via the POTN Book Project submission website at www.thepotnbook.com (this site will open on 17 October 2008 ). You must include up to 50 words narrative with your entry explaining how or why it was taken. Technical details and/or personal thoughts are welcome but may be edited for reasons of meaning, punctuation or brevity or space due to book layout limitations. There is no guarantee that your comments will be included with, or referenced to, your image if chosen. Your comments may be edited for publication without further reference to the author. We will do our best to make sure there are no accidental ambiguities or unwelcome mistakes associated with your picture but you agree to indemnify us against any such errors. By submitting an image and completing the associated submission form you agree to your Name, POTN Username and website URL (if supplied) and any image information you supply being published in the book.
4. Entries must be received between midnight PDT 17 October 2008 to midnight PST 17 November 2008 (any flexibility in these timings will be at the sole discretion of the Book Committee). Images published in Volume 1 or Volume 2 are not eligible for resubmission!
5. All images submitted must be the original work of the photographer submitting them and must not be derivative works. Digitally enhanced images will be accepted provided the original source image is the work of the entrant. Please remember that this is a photography forum, not a Photoshop forum. Photographs that appear to have extreme post-processing modifications may not be selected by the Panel at the Panel's discretion. Standard post-processing such as RAW processing or equivalent (curves, levels etc) cropping and techniques such as HDR are permitted). It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any images they submit have been taken with the permission of the subject and do not infringe the copyright of any third party nor any national laws or local by-laws.
6. Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties. Any such entries will be invalid.
7. Copyright in all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective photographers. However, in consideration of POTN and the POTN Book Project Committee (the Book Committee) members organizing the Competition and Book, entrants agree to grant POTN and the Committee an irrevocable free license to publish any or all of the submitted images in The POTN Photo Book Volume 3 and in any web gallery for the purposes of selection and in any post on photography-on-the.net.
8. The entries judged to be suitable (both technically and content) by the Selection Panel will be selected by a combination of Public Forum Vote and Panel Selection, subject to design and layout and the final decision of the Book Committee. There is no guarantee that the short listed images chosen will be included in the book nor that they will be represented at any particular size or in any particular place in the book. There is no prize, other than the opportunity to be included in the book. There is neither monetary nor any other reward or remuneration for winning entries.
9. Image submission rules with respect to releases and privacy are as follows (The POTN Photo Book is classed as an editorial book for the purpose of releases... more details can be found in the FAQ):
a. It is up to the photographer to ensure that none of the 4 privacy rights* have been violated concerning the submitted photo. If the Panel Members or Book Committee has any doubts the submission will be rejected unless a model release is available.
*1. One cannot intrude upon another's solitude.
2. One cannot publicly disclose private facts.
3. One cannot portray another in a false light.4. One cannot use another name or likeness to obtain some benefit.
b. Photographs of people taken in the country of France, and other countries with strict privacy rights, can not be submitted to the Book Project without a model release.
c. If the photographer already has a model release then the publication of the photo in the POTN Book must be allowed by the release.
d. If you have a photograph taken at an event (concert, auto race, etc.) that allows photography only for personal use, or otherwise prohibits photo publication, then you can not submit an image from that event. You may submit an image if you believe it is not in conflict with the track/event operator or sanctioning body. However, be sure you are prepared to prove you have permission by way of written authorization or by providing your credential status upon request of the Book Committee.
e. If a work of art (including paintings and sculptures) is depicted in the photograph, it is up to the photographer to ensure the copyright of that work, in the country that photograph was taken, is not infringed by publication, or to provide a property release. Note that some countries restrict reproduction even of publicly displayed art.
f. Model and/or Property Releases may still be required if any Panel Members or Book Committee members have any doubts about a photo. If a release can not be provided the photo will be rejected. This decision will be final.
g. The Book Committee (as publishers of the book) reserves the right not to include any image in either public voting or in the Book if it feels appropriate releases have not been obtained and submitted. No photo - regardless of release – will be printed if, in the opinion of the Book Committee it shows anyone in a bad light.
h. If the subject has been taken on private land, including land owned by organizations such as the National Trust (UK), a one-time non-profit release may be required. Contact the owner or the organizations publishing department who will normally provide this on a no fee basis.”
10. Winners will not be notified individually. Details of those selected for publication in the POTN Book will be published online in the POTN Competition Forum following the closing date and the images shown in a web gallery.
11. Events may occur that render the Competition itself or the publishing of the POTN Book impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the Promoter and accordingly the Promoter may at its absolute discretion vary or amend the Competition and the entrant agrees that no liability shall attach to the as a result thereof.
12. Inclusion in the book does not imply or grant rights or privileges to concessions on POTN Book purchases.
13. Should any profits be made from sales of the POTN Book (although this will not occur if the book is sold through Blurb) these profits will be donated to the support and maintenance of POTN.
14. Each member may enter one image in each Gallery Share Competition ("Share"). Members may submit images for as many Share sections as they wish, although each image may only be submitted once. Should a member have more than one image selected for publication the Book Committee reserves the right to limit members to one published image, selected by the Committee.
15. Images should be submitted as JPEG files at maximum (no lower than 10) quality in sRGB colour space, EXIF intact, at a resolution of exactly 2574 pixels on the longest side. Images should be submitted with a filename in the following format: "POTNUSERNAME-SHARENAME.jpg". Images submitted must not have a frame or any visible watermark. The submission template must be completed in full. Failure to do so (especially failure to provide narrative description) may result in the image being rejected at the discretion of the Book Committee. (Note: we are not after Shakespearian prose, just some information about your image.)
16. Web submission templates not properly filled in will invalidate the entry. A separate entry is required for each Share. Images will be hosted on a private web gallery (POTN's smugmug site) at original size for panel selection. Should an image be selected for public forum vote it will be resized to 800px with EXIF removed for public gallery hosting.
17. Final print images will need to be prepared by POTN Book Project Page Assemblers (PAs). This final preparation may require saturation adjustments, and sharpening. Such manipulations are required by the publisher, and will be handled with the greatest care and expertise. The PAs will do their absolute best to ensure that these steps are carried out with the intent to produce the best possible print in The Book. However, neither the Publishing Company nor any member of the POTN Book Project can guarantee perfect color conversion to the CMYK colour space. The final print may not match the colours or saturation that you see on your monitor. The members of the POTN Book Project will do the absolute best that we can to ensure that the final print is excellent.
18. If your image is selected for publication, you accept the Terms and Conditions set by Blurb.com for photobook publication (Blurb Terms and Conditions available at http://www.blurb.com/corporate/legal)
Promoter: POTN https://photography-on-the.net/forums
19. Submission Page - this is the information you will be required/requested to submit with your images.
Image Description (up to 50 words)*
Your Full Name*
Name you wish to be known as in the book (if different to above)
Photographer’s POTN Username*
Country of Origin*
Your Website (if you wish it to be published in the book)
Camera Body used
Comments Box (any special notes, instructions you wish to pass the Book Team)
Tick box to confirm acceptance of the Terms and Conditions*
* are compulsory or image will not be accepted
c. Your Personal Information may be processed or transmitted by the Committee (including all those POTN members directly involved in the Book Project) in the country where it was collected as well as other countries (including the United States) where laws regarding processing of Personal Information may be less stringent than the laws in your country.
Personal Information You Provide to Us
d. We collect Personal Information that you submit to us voluntarily. When you submit an image for consideration in the POTN Book Project Share Competitions we will collect the Personal Information listed below:
Your Full Name
Name you wish to be known as in the book (if different to above)
Photographer’s POTN Username
Country of Origin
Your Email address
Your Website URL
Use of Information
e. Personal Information you submit to us may be used in the process of publishing the POTN Photo Book, which includes any associated selection or management of images.
Disclosure of Personal Information
f. We will use the personal information you disclose in the course of publishing the POTN Photo Book, but will not disclose your information to advertisers or anyone not connected directly with publication of the Book
g. If your image is selected for publication in the Book, your Name and Username (and website URL if you provided one) will be printed. As a result this information will be on the blurb.com server for the duration that the book is available for print.