Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 11 Sep 2008 (Thursday) 09:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Great POTN Book - Volume 3: 2009... Your Forum Needs You..!

Jamie ­ Holladay
Cream of the Crop
21,557 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 11, 2008 09:12 |  #1

It only seems like five minutes since Volume 2 was available but it's time to start thinking about Volume 3. For our sins some of us are going to throw ourselves into Volume 3 and we need your help.

We need some volunteers for the following jobs:

Image Managers (IM): People who can manage image submissions from the website, upload images to our SmugMug site and control images for each of the 12 Shares through all the various stages of selection and processing. You will need a decent (broadband) Internet connection to upload full size jpegs to SmugMug and receive the images by email or download from webmail. There will be tutorials and guidance available. This is a commitment from the start right through to the end of the project. With 12 Shares ideally we want 12 Image Managers. For more details just ask questions below.

Panel Members (PM): For Volume 3 we are significantly changing how we select images for the book. All the images submitted will undergo a 'quality' selection (Sharpness & Printability). All images that 'pass' (ideally 100%!) will then be subject to a Public Forum Vote which will pick half the images for the Book. A Panel (of ~ 25) will then pick the remaining half of the images for the Book from all those submitted images that remain. So we need names of people who would be willing to act as Panel Members. Again this is a project-long commitment as we want you involved early. Although the major involvement of the PMs should start at the first of January and end in the middle of January. We want representation across all 12 Shares, and across all experience levels. The main criteria (apart from some photographic skill!) is enthusiasm for POTN and the Project. You don't need to be a published photographer. You just need to know what you like. Comments/Questions? Please post them below.

Page Assemblers (PA): We need people with a good working knowledge of Photoshop and (ideally) with a copy of CS2/3 (although PSE will suffice) to act as the Page Assemblers for the 12 Shares (ideally 1 per Share). This is a SIGNIFICANT amount of work towards the end of the Project but we need PAs committed throughout to allow you to work with the IMs (you could be one and the same) and Panel. Those who did not partake in PA work for Vol 3 will also need to undergo some training. This job basically involves taking the images and the associated text and laying out the pages for the Shares for upload to the blurb Server. It also involves working through the editing/proofing process. Comments/Questions? Post them below

Please note: To ensure balance across the Project, we (the BC) will pick names of people who volunteer and will also directly approach specific forum members we feel will add value. So, please don't be offended if you don't get on the Panel or selected as an IM or PA.

Commitment: The amount of time you need to commit will vary from role to role. IMs will need to be able to put in concerted effort at certain phases of the project but have a role throughout. PMs will be required for batches of time mainly in October - November and early January. PA's work will commence in earnest late January and probably go through to mid March. However, we would like anyone who volunteers to be able to keep engaged with the project throughout. Peak workload for IMs and PAs can be as much as several hours a day/week. The more people we get to do this, the easier it becomes! By all means offer to do IM and PA roles for the same Share if you want.

Timescales: We want to launch the Vol 3 Project in September and have all the procedures ready to begin Image Submissions in October. Our aim is to have the Book complete for purchase in May 2009.

Finally, we would also like to introduce you to the Volume 3 Book Committee. All these willing volunteers were heavily involved in and committed to making Volume 1 &/or 2 a success so have been asked to be part of the Committee for their experience and understanding of the process we need to go through. I'm sure there are those out there who want to get involved, and if you think you might want to be part of the Committee in future Volumes, get involved now

The Volume 3 Book Committee (BC):

EOSAddict
In2Photos
Jamie Holladay
tofuboy
Mgdh
BeccaNH
Cfpackerfan
Permagrin
Dchemist

If you are interested or simply have any questions on involvement, post in this thread and declare your interest.

The BC

The Site  (external link)The Gallery  (external link)The Gear (external link)

"If you really want something done, ask a busy person." Toms wife

Nothing is more Exhilarating than combining my two passions, the speed of a shutter, the speed of a car; What a Rush! ~ me

What stands between you and greatness sits between your ears, not in your camera bag. ~ John Thawley

You know I can't spell just sound it out. ~ me

sponsored links
Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 14, 2008 12:16 |  #2

Officially stepping up for as much work as you can throw at me.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 14, 2008 12:20 |  #3

I don't have the hours available for page generation but I'm very glad to help in editing (PM). I've worked in that capacity before and I am ruthless with the removal button.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

Blackvault
128 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 14, 2008 12:50 |  #4

Yes I'd like to express a healthy interest as a PM or PA.

Any info or links to the first volume?

Blackvault

1D MKII | 30D | 24 - 70 F/2.8 L | 70 - 200 F/4 L | 430 EX
Gear List

Jamie ­ Holladay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
21,557 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 14, 2008 12:52 |  #5

Thanks for the interest!
*writes names down on black board*

Blackvault wrote in post #6305173 (external link)
Yes I'd like to express a healthy interest as a PM or PA.

Any info or links to the first volume?

Blackvault

You can find links to both volumes in this post:
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=6134928&p​ostcount=1

Nothing is more Exhilarating than combining my two passions, the speed of a shutter, the speed of a car; What a Rush! ~ me

What stands between you and greatness sits between your ears, not in your camera bag. ~ John Thawley

Blackvault
128 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 14, 2008 12:53 |  #6

Jamie Holladay wrote in post #6305180 (external link)
Thanks for the interest!
*writes names down on black board*

You can find links to both volumes in this post:
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=6134928&p​ostcount=1

Thanks mate.

Just seen the thread lol :rolleyes:

Blackvault

1D MKII | 30D | 24 - 70 F/2.8 L | 70 - 200 F/4 L | 430 EX
Gear List

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,787 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 14, 2008 13:03 |  #7

I'll help in whatever way that's needed.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Twitter (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

beepclick
Goldmember
1,850 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 14, 2008 22:16 |  #8

I'm available for a PM spot. I have carpal tunnel in both arms so try to limit my CS3/image handling time.

My photography is still in the embryonic stage, but I have a good eye.

And congratulations to all who created Vol. 2, it's listed in the "Best Sellers" at Blurb.

Gear https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=635450

silvex
Cream of the Crop
7,312 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Sep 16, 2008 22:24 |  #9

Shouldn't the tittle be "The Great POTN Book - Volume 3: 2009" ...:)

-Ed
CPS Platinum Member.
Canon Gear
SilvexPhoto.comexternal link

Jamie ­ Holladay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
21,557 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 16, 2008 22:37 |  #10

Well yeah. I guess it should. Are you raising your had BTW?

eddarr
There's Moderators under there....
8,907 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 18, 2008 00:18 |  #11

Still not good at much. But I can follow directions. Whatever you need.

Eric

Keltab
912 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 18, 2008 13:36 |  #12

I would be happy to step in as a PM. I am new to this, but have experience in sports, nature and wildlife... Just let me know if you want a newbie!

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

misspix
Misscreant
32,636 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 20, 2008 13:38 |  #13

I'm in for whatever is needed :)

Terri |GEAR| (external link) http://tinyurl.com/5qn​8sr (external link)
If you can't take the heat, don't tickle the dragon

Jamie ­ Holladay
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
21,557 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Sep 21, 2008 12:27 |  #14

with this announcement:
https://photography-on-the.net ….php?t=572394#p​ost6351616

It looks like Volume 3 is going to be better than ever. Instead of the addition of the just Wedding share, there will also be one for Kids & Pets and Astrology. Isn't that exciting.

That means there is ROOM for you on the Book Team!
We are looking for those POTN members that love this place and don't mind sharing a little of there spare time creating the third in a series of beautiful books. All you really need to know how to do is upload photos to smugmug, or resize an image and cut and paste some text. The work is not hard by no means. So raise your hand!

We need 6 Image Managers and 6 Page assemblers.

Lester ­ Wareham
30,792 posts
Gallery: 3037 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 21, 2008 13:42 |  #15

Reporting present and correct, well upright and reasonably coherent anyway.

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

sponsored links

4,874 views & 0 likes for this thread
The Great POTN Book - Volume 3: 2009... Your Forum Needs You..!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.