Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 16 Sep 2008 (Tuesday) 15:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have I Gone Too Far?

RAPhotography
465 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 16, 2008 15:55 |  #1

I'm usually one of those people who doesn't like a photo to look too processed. So, although I kinda like the way this one turned out, I'm thinking I went a bit too far. Wondering what everyone else thinks.

thanks for looking,

ryan

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Nortelbert
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 16, 2008 15:57 |  #2

Not at all, it looks very nice with the light/dark contrast from flowers to the boats

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 16, 2008 16:03 as a reply to  @ Nortelbert's post |  #3

I like it alot! The processing is just right for my eyes..it would probably have to be lightened up though for printing?

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Apollo11
Goldmember
1,557 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

Sep 16, 2008 19:58 |  #4

Great job. I really like your PP, and the shot is a great one, too.

Andrew
gear list

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 16, 2008 21:03 |  #5

Never forget that photography is an art, and as such is subjective and governed by personal taste.

What you think is over-processed, I may think needs much more (or vice versa).

It's enough when you've accomplished what you want to say (how you want the image to look).

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

Clare624
227 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 17, 2008 00:38 |  #6

I really like this.
I especially like how the boat in the backround draws your eye to the flowers.

The wood tones are great too!
Clare

www.pbase.com/clare624 (external link)

rooeey
-Shorty-
2,554 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 17, 2008 03:05 |  #7

How far is too far like Glenn said photography is an art and is subjective i really like it but i am sure some one else may feel it a tad over PPd but not me.....Great work actually...

1D MK111 , 5D Classic,24-70F2.8, 16-35F2.8, 70-200F2.8 IS a 430EXII 2x 580EXII and a Mac...:cool:
http://s229.photobucke​t.com/albums/ee124/roo​eey/ (external link)

RTphotog
63 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 17, 2008 11:02 |  #8

i like it.
great colors.

strobist kit | nikon sb-25 | canon 430ex | sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 |canon 50mm f/1.8 | tokina 12-24mm f/4 | canon 30D

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 17, 2008 11:04 |  #9

Good job.

Sometimes cooking the photo makes sense!

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

RAPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
465 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 17, 2008 11:37 |  #10

thank you all for the feedback. I don't know why, but, i still get uptight about the notion of "too much" processing. I guess I fear that the result will be something less than a photograph and instead become more of a digital creation. that being said, I see lots of work by other people that's far beyond photography, but, I still like and appreciate their results.

I guess the bottom line is, if it's asthetically pleasing . . . who cares.

thanks again,

ryan

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 17, 2008 18:30 |  #11

I think your processing balances what you know is capable to be produced by the "standard process" of photography and what can be modified on the computer. This is, in my opinion, very well executed. I think "process" has a dual meaning in photography. One meaning equates digital processing with film processing. The other meaning is "process" in the sense that you move a simple photograph forward, progressing it towards your interpretation and what you see in your mind even beyond that which the laws of physics will allow your camera and lens to do.

I agree that there is a point where a photograph looks over processed, but there is room for modification before you arrive at that point where the image still retains a natural quality. Sometimes, aesthetically pleasing is rather subjective and "over-processing" depends on what the photographer/artist seeks to achieve. See, for example, Dave Hill's creations. Art is art and is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

More correctly, if it is pleasing to you... what else really matters?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

conbu19
565 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 17, 2008 18:35 |  #12

Ryan,very tasteful,looks almost magazinish,like it should have a pedestal table near the flowers with an elegant wine glass on it. I like it,really easy to look at,thanks for your work. Nice gallery too! Steve B.

AustinTyler
63 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 17, 2008 19:01 |  #13

That is a VERY nice picture. You should put that as an available print for purchase as that was the first thing I checked after seeing it.

Canon Rebel XSi - Canon 18-55mm IS, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 28-200, Canon 50, Canon Speedlite 430EX

RAPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
465 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 18, 2008 07:28 |  #14

AustinTyler wrote in post #6328937 (external link)
That is a VERY nice picture. You should put that as an available print for purchase as that was the first thing I checked after seeing it.

thank you. I haven't updated that part of my site for awhile. I find myself obsessing over making sure the photo is flawless before putting in that section. problem is, they never are . . .

thanks again for all of the comments.

ryan

61ache
330 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 18, 2008 09:43 |  #15

Really like the contrast between the flowers and the "hard light" effect of the background--I think this photo is very effective. If I was to add any critique--In my eyes the shot may be even more effective by allowing the flower's color to remain constant through the whole image. Overall, amazing shot! Frame it.

/Canon 50D/EF 50mm f1.4 USM/EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5/EF 85mm f1.8/

sponsored links

2,584 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have I Gone Too Far?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.