Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 16 Sep 2008 (Tuesday) 22:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Album Questions for Wedding Photographers

daletu
324 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 16, 2008 22:37 |  #1

I started shooting wedding last summer and just started offering wedding albums since August this year. A couple of my clients actually wants to order albums after seeing their photos.
Anyway, I have been looking at a few high end album companies and decided to try Queensberry and Leather Craftsmen. I've received an information email from Queensberry as well as their pricing list. Leather Craftsmen also sent out the information package yesterday, I should receive it in a couple days.
After seeing the prices from Queensberry, I was kind of shock by how expensive it is...

My question is...
From your experience, are these two album companies really that great and worth a try? I just don't want my clients spend a lot of money, and receiving albums thats not in their expectation.

Other questions...
Are there other album companies that have the same quality but a little bit cheaper? If there are, what would you recommend?
Should I offer an alternative album that's cheaper so my clients will not be shock (like me) after seeing the prices? And what will be the alternative album?

Thanks!!

Dale
www.daletuphoto.com (external link)
1D MK III / 5D MK II / 35mm F1.4L / 50mm F1.4 / 85mm F1.2L II / 16-35mm F2.8L II / 24-70mm F2.8L / 70-200mm F2.8L IS / 1.4x II Extender / 580EX ... more

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 16, 2008 23:00 |  #2

Queensberry are one of the top album companies in the world, I make 20-30 albums with them each year, and yeah they are expensive. I don't know their US pricing, but decent sized leather albums will usually sell to your customer for between $1500 and $4000. Some high end photographers will charge $10K for an album. You have to pay for the Queensberry starter kit as well.

If you want something cheaper there are dozens of album companies. Check out http://www.kisswedding​books.com/ (external link) , if I was in the US i'd consider them. Also do a search on POTN for threads about albums, a few days ago someone posted a list of about 20 album companies.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 16, 2008 23:02 |  #3

If found these thread using the search feature... it's quite handy you know :p

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=542075
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=92390

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

daletu
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 16, 2008 23:20 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #4

Thank you Tim. I've read many threads about albums on this forum, but don't see much of photographers have experience with a few high end albums and rate the albums they have used.
Based on the threads I've read, I understand Queensberry, Leather Craftsmen, Asuka, Graphistudio, Art Leather are the most recommended album companies, but haven't seem anyone actully rates them by experience.
From your experience, what would you rate on each of the albums I listed above?

Thanks!

Dale
1D MK III / 5D MK II / 35mm F1.4L / 50mm F1.4 / 85mm F1.2L II / 16-35mm F2.8L II / 24-70mm F2.8L / 70-200mm F2.8L IS / 1.4x II Extender / 580EX ... more

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 17, 2008 01:02 |  #5

I wouldn't bother with Graphi, there's a lot of complaints about them on DWF, but on the other hand a lot of people love them too. The only albums i've made myself are Queensberry and Asuka, QB is in a different league to Asuka. I know nothing about the others. QB are one of the best in the world, it's just handy they're in my country :)

daletu
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 17, 2008 12:39 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #6

Thank you Tim. I think I will give Queensberry a try. Well... starting from ordering their expensive starter kit. ;)

Dale

MJBCreative
570 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 17, 2008 15:34 as a reply to  @ daletu's post |  #7

Dale, here's more....

Book and Album Vendor Links

Finao Online - Home (external link) ~ USA
Wedding Albums by Jorgensen Albums (external link) ~ Australia
La-Vie Album (external link) ~ USA
KISS Wedding Books (external link) ~ USA
firstup ~ USA (external link)
Cypress Fine Handmade Albums & Boxes (external link)
WillowBook - Products (external link)
Leather Craftsmen Inc. - Custom Bookbinding (external link) ~ USA
Home Page (external link) ~ Australia
Photovalue.com - Your online store for I Nobili Wedding Albums, Gem Collection Folders & Strut Mounts and the Memories Collection of Frames (external link) ~ UK & Ireland
Albums Inc. (external link) ~ USA
capri album inc. (external link) ~ USA
Candid2000.com (external link) ~ USA
Welcome to Zookbinders: handmade quality photo albums for professional photographers (external link) ~ USA
AsukaBook - Custom Coffee Table Quality Art Books (external link) ~ USA
:: Graphistudio - Il Libro del matrimonio - The Wedding Book :: (external link) ~ Multiple Countries
Queensberry - Home (external link) ~ New Zeeland
F O R B E Y O N - FOR BEYOND YOUR IMAGINATION (external link) ~ USA
http://www.thebookalbu​m.com (external link) ~ USA
Renaissance Art Leather Journals (external link)
White Glove Books (external link)
MyPublisher | Design your own Photo Book to be printed as a beautiful hardcover book! (external link)
Blurb | Self publish with free BookSmart software for Windows or Mac (external link)
JonesBook Inc (external link)
Art Leather - Home (external link)
| Bon Match Albums_Unlimited Creation ... (external link)
www.pictobooks.com (external link)
Album Crafters (external link)
:::: White Wedding Album :::: Magazine Style Full page Flush Album and Coffee Table Album (external link)

Mike | flickr (external link) | Photos on Railpictures.net (external link) |

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 17, 2008 16:37 |  #8

daletu wrote in post #6326323 (external link)
Thank you Tim. I think I will give Queensberry a try. Well... starting from ordering their expensive starter kit. ;)

Honestly, if you're not going to be a high volume user i'm not sure if they're the best option. It takes some effort to learn PhotoJunction (the design tool they supply), and the starter kit isn't cheap. On top of that they're in New Zealand, so everything has to be shipped internationally, which costs more.

I would suggest looking into local alternatives first. Don't get me wrong, Queensberry make fantastic albums and their service is great, but they might not be the best company for everyone. Get a price list before you sign up too, they're not cheap, but I don't have US prices so I can't help with that.

daletu
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 17, 2008 17:08 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #9

Thank you Mike for the list.

Tim,
Queensberry already sent me the pricing list, and the price of feature album has already included shipping, so I was not too worry about shipping. I was just worry about the quality. If you confirm that the quality of their album is excellent, then I think I will go with it.
Question... on the price sheet, they have 4 different page styles... overlay, pagemount, digital and duo. What's the difference between each other, and which one has the better quality?

Thanks!

Dale

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 17, 2008 17:49 |  #10

Their website has examples on this page (external link).

Overlay has part of the photo hidden under a matt - it's a very old style that I don't offer. Pagemount has colored paper or foil set under the matt, the prints are put on top of it with the color showing - this is 90% of my albums, they look great. Digital is one sheet of photographic paper, everything done digitally - a modern style. Duo is albums with a combination of matted, pagemount, and digital, I like consistency so I rarely use duo.

If you mostly want to do digital there are better value options around locally to you. The main reason to do Queensberry albums is if you want to do pagemount matted albums.

daletu
THREAD ­ STARTER
324 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 17, 2008 19:02 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #11

Thanks Tim! This helps!

For the digial print (flush mount), does any body know which company has the best quality?
I am looking at Kiss Books, their product looks pretty good. I am also looking at Art Leather, Picto, and Leather Craftsmen. I know there are a lot of companies make flush mount book, like Zookbinders, Candid, White Wedding Album...etc. Out of all these choices, which one is most recommended by wedding photographers?

Thanks!

Dale

bluesmap
298 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 15, 2008 20:31 |  #12

thanks for this post. i've been looking for some album to publish

a little bit of this, a little bit of that

BestVisuals
763 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 15, 2008 20:42 as a reply to  @ bluesmap's post |  #13

I've used Zookbinders with great success...they use Kodak's ROES system to upload your page JPEGs. Fantastic service and quality, speedy service.

Canon 5D MK II, 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 16, 2008 15:17 |  #14

I use Asuka and love them... so do my clients.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 16, 2008 15:44 |  #15

Asuka make nice books, but they don't have the durability of a real album. I want wedding albums to last generations.

sponsored links

9,082 views & 0 likes for this thread
Album Questions for Wedding Photographers
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.