Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Sep 2008 (Wednesday) 14:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

My XTi got drunk...

tubawxman
59 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 17, 2008 14:39 |  #1

I was at my fraternity brother's wedding over the weekend and I was shooting with my XTi during the reception. Bottles of wine were free flowing and one of my brothers who had been enjoying a bottle came up to me with the bottle in his hand. I was sitting and as he bent over to talk to me, the contents of the bottle of wine poured all over my XTi! :shock: He ran off to get some towels and we proceeded to clean it up the best we could. He wanted me to test it and I told him it could damage it further by turning it on, but he insisted that I do and that he would pay for any repairs necessary. It turned on ok and took pictures, but when I turned the switch off, it would stay on until I pressed the shutter release. I told him this wasn't right and it would have to go in to Canon, so he gave me a down payment. I unpacked the camera last night when I got home from work to see how it was. I got a few error 99's and now all it says is "Change Battery Pack," which when doing so has no effect. Is this something Canon will be able to fix, or will I need a new camera? I'm not mad really at all, which is a shock. Knowing that my friend will be paying for everything is rather a comfort.

Bryan
6D MkII | EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L USM

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 17, 2008 14:43 |  #2

Send it off to Canon to see how much it will cost. It might just need a deep cleaning. I doubt you will see lingering issues from moisture like you would from a fall.

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

spitfirejd
Goldmember
1,523 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 17, 2008 16:11 |  #3

Canon will tell you it is uneconomical to repair because it had liquid damage. You will get lingering issues and Canon won't work on it because there are so many hidden problems that will pop up in the future. Tell your frat brother he owes you a new camera.

Jeff
”Your eye must see a composition or expression that life itself offers you, and you must know with intuition when to click the camera. The Moment! Once you miss it, it is gone for ever.” Henri Cartier-Bresson

I26
587 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 17, 2008 19:15 as a reply to  @ spitfirejd's post |  #4

I hope he realizes the costs involved.

Canon EOS 30D / Canon 430EX | Canon BG-E2 Grip | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | Canon EF 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 USM

MattMoore
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 17, 2008 19:30 |  #5

Insurance FTW!

I26
587 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 17, 2008 19:31 as a reply to  @ MattMoore's post |  #6

Dumb question I am sure.... I always see FTW, WTF does it mean? :lol:

Canon EOS 30D / Canon 430EX | Canon BG-E2 Grip | Canon 400mm f/5.6L | Canon EF 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 USM

AdamLewis
Goldmember
4,121 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 17, 2008 19:33 |  #7

Canon is able to fix anything.
How much theyll charge you for it is another story.

FTW = For The Win

flickr (external link)

saturnin
Goldmember
1,987 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 17, 2008 19:35 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

yes it might not make sense getting it fixed as u can prolly get a new body for that price etc...

http://www.saturninflo​yd.tumblr.com (external link) samples
http://www.asphaltjunk​iez.com (external link) - award winning filmmaker - 3 documentaries done, more to go. I'm not wasting this 1 life.
Gear is gear, gotta do wif what you got! This forum makes me bite my tongue like no other forum i've ever been on :)

macroshooter1970
Cream of the Crop
7,494 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 17, 2008 19:35 |  #9

for the win and what the f

I26
587 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 17, 2008 19:39 |  #10

AdamLewis wrote in post #6329165 (external link)
Canon is able to fix anything.
How much theyll charge you for it is another story.

FTW = For The Win

Not true. You ever see the pics of the 600mm that decided to go swimming with the gators? They would have had to REPLACE the motors and the glass in it. I heard that for every 10 watered lens Canon receives for repair, Canon returns 10 unrepairable lens. Technically they don't fix them, they simply return them. That is something that borrowlenses.com was told I believe when they called Canon.

wallybud
Taking the "Walk of Shame"
2,980 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 17, 2008 19:39 |  #11

not only is it a liquid accident it is a sugar based accident, once dry all the residue will still be there, a sticky situation it is, new camera:)

-Walt-
Life is good. Do What You Like. Like What You Do.
GEAR LIST
Take | In | Life Photography (external link)

I26
587 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 17, 2008 19:42 as a reply to  @ wallybud's post |  #12

Good point.

EMART49
166 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 17, 2008 20:46 |  #13

time for an upgrade? at least to XSI :)

GetOnMyLevel
538 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 17, 2008 20:48 |  #14

spitfirejd wrote in post #6327967 (external link)
Canon will tell you it is uneconomical to repair because it had liquid damage. You will get lingering issues and Canon won't work on it because there are so many hidden problems that will pop up in the future. Tell your frat brother he owes you a new camera.

agreed.
the cost of repairs could be more than youd like, thus making it more reasonable to just buy a new camera. time for you to fall under the 50d hype :D

tubawxman
THREAD ­ STARTER
59 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 17, 2008 20:49 |  #15

EMART49 wrote in post #6329666 (external link)
time for an upgrade? at least to XSI :)

I was contemplating that. If I use the money from him plus some of mine, I could move up to a 40D for not a whole lot on my part. We'll see what Canon has to say.

Bryan
6D MkII | EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L USM

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

2,241 views & 0 likes for this thread, 13 members have posted to it.
My XTi got drunk...
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.