Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Sep 2008 (Friday) 11:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 30 f/1.4 for Seniors

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 19, 2008 11:43 |  #1

Does anyone use the Sigma 30 f/1.4 for shooting seniors? If so, could you post some samples? I don't know if this should have been placed under the lens section, but I thought I might catch more Senior photog's here. Thanks!

sponsored links
Adamora
Who said i want a title? :(
4,742 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 19, 2008 12:25 |  #2

heck you can shoot seniors with a canon 1200.

[Adam]
[100D][Nifty Fifty]

steved110
Cream of the Crop
5,776 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 19, 2008 13:00 as a reply to  @ Adamora's post |  #3

It is perhaps a bit wide for general use as a portrait lens, but would be OK for an environmental or group portrait.

I'd be more interested in using a 50mm , 85mm and 70-200 for best image quality and versatility - and I've got all 4 of the lenses i mention. My 85 1.8 is the newest and I get a real buzz from using it, but my 70-200 has given me some of my favourite shots.

Canon 6D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 , Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
CanonEF 17-40 f/4 L Canon EF 24-70 f/4 IS L and 70-200 f/4 L :D
Speedlite 580EX and some bags'n pods'n stuff

shannyD
"...in too much trouble"
5,219 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: scrotumento CA, miss NC, and lived in th north east for a while, and even in the mid west for a bit.

Sep 19, 2008 13:08 |  #4

shooter.. there is nothing wrong with the sigma.. i actually like it over the 50mm.. granted you have o get a tiny bit closer.. but i like the images from the sigma more than i do from the canon.. i think they are sharper, and a little bit more contrasty.

shan

vgeek
20 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 20, 2008 19:09 |  #5

That's just cruel. Just because they're old doesn't mean they need to be shot. What problem is that going to solve?

http://vgeek.net (external link)

REXTi
624 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 20, 2008 20:44 |  #6

attempt at funny biz has made me chuckle. i would think a 30 would make you be a little to close for headshots but heck i don't know.

shooter ­ mcgavin
THREAD ­ STARTER
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 22, 2008 16:58 |  #7

Thanks everybody. I'm thinking about using the 85 1.8 for headshots and the 30 for full-body shots. vgeek, body shots from the 30 shouldn't be fatal...but I see your point :)

sponsored links

1,266 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 30 f/1.4 for Seniors
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.