Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 22 Sep 2008 (Monday) 07:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting Fall Foliage

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 22, 2008 07:03 |  #1

North America is supposed to have the worlds best Fall foliage display. I now have an ultra wide angle lens, a Tokina 12-24, and it is sharp with great colors on both the 40D and the old 1D. I have been looking around for the last 2 or 3 weeks at the places I have to shoot from, with views of hillsides, mountainsides, in the woods with the trees, long distance and up close perspectives, and I have been practicing, getting ready, getting the feel for it. Now they are just starting to change.

But I am getting the idea that the UWA is maybe not the best lens for this. My next closest "wide angle" is the 70-200/4. And I'm not sure it's going to do it either. And unfortunately, I don't have anything between the 24 and 70mm range and won't be able to afford it before the leaves are gone.

Any suggestions, how do you shoot them, what lenses do you use? And feel free to post examples. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

sponsored links
engsetr1
439 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 22, 2008 07:12 |  #2

You should be able to nice shots with any lens, I find sometimes when I don't have the "right lens" or there is NO obvious photo op's is when you get the best shots! It makes you think outside the box!

gear

http://debramckee.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 22, 2008 07:29 |  #3

Your right in general, any decent lens FL should take good pics, and do. I guess I am looking for examples and what lenses were used to take them, EXIF data and such. It's hard to explain what I am after, so pics work better, but I generally learn what I am after in these types of threads. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 22, 2008 07:43 |  #4

I bought a wide angle lens for a recent trip to Colorado and as hindsight, I think it was a mistake.

Took numerous "test" shots using the WA and compared them to several photomerged series done with my 70-200.
After cropping to equalize the scenes, I found no discernable differences in the IQ's of the images.

In the future my lens selection will be based, in large part, to the MFT characteristics, but only for static subjects.

As far as to how/what to shoot, I'm struggling with the same questions and look forward to more input.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 22, 2008 08:00 |  #5

Chauncy, I was offered the loan of this Tokina 12-24 from a member that lives about 60 miles from here. I immediately fell in love it it. Partly due to the fact that it is an EF mount and not an EF-s mount configuration. Meaning that it works great on the 40D and the 1D Classic. Aside from it being a remarkably well made lens, better I feel than either the Canon 10-22 or the Sigma 10-20, it has given new life to the old 1D. Those who say that megapixels don't count, are pretty much right when shooting ultra wide.

I think the lens is going to do great for single trees with great colors on them, or a small grove. The problem is with ultra wides, the lighting needs to be just so, or you end up with very dark areas where shadows are and very light areas in the sky. Dynamic range really makes itself known in ultra wides. Hopefully we will both see some nice examples posted. :)

By the way, I just did some Googling and found some great examples on of all things, the Weather Channel member photo section. Lot's of examples there, but unfortunately, the EXIF has been stripped from them. Worth a look though. Plenty of good and not so good shots.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

PhotosGuy
75,300 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 22, 2008 09:03 |  #6

But I am getting the idea that the UWA is maybe not the best lens for this.

It could work well with a good tree close to you & others in the distance.

others in the distance.

Generally, I think a WA makes them too small, & I'd prefer to shoot a pano with a longer lens to avoid that.
Don't forget to shoot some tele detail shots, too.
Fall Leaves 2007

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Mosca
542 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 22, 2008 09:05 |  #7

I'd take both lenses, and get some hillsides and closeups with the 12-24, and some hillsides and closeups with the 70-200. My limited knowledge tells me that that is four different ways to get great shots. I'm taking both my 70-200 and my 17-55 when I go to shoot foliage.

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 22, 2008 11:33 |  #8

Nice closeups Frank. I just got back from a shoot, scouting more hillsides. I found a few that will do good with the 70-200 or the 300/4, but are simply too far for any wide angle, with all kinds of wires and other man made junk in the foreground. I took both lenses, but never used the wide angle. I'll see what I got after processing them. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

wallybud
Taking the "Walk of Shame"
2,980 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 25, 2008 08:15 |  #9

35L or 135L for detail;) just kidding

Mitch are you serious the Tokina would be AWESOME! Just make sure you have a nice CPL on it when shooting in the fall...the Tokina can bring out some amazing color but reflections on the foliage will KILL color everytime...the CPL will make all your shots pop overcast day or not.

Also try to shoot with the foliage backlit (not all the way but maybe from a slight side angle) this allows the light to come through the back of the leaves and REALLY bring all of their detail and color out.

As for shots...think wooden fences/foggy mornings/20 minutes after sunrise (but w/o the sun in the frame) etc etc

Like 20mm shooting along a nice wooden fence leading you right up to a row of burning red foliage;)

Dont think you have to go way out there to get good fall shots...many great shots can come from quaint little town really early in the morning when no one is out:)

I plan to head up to the NH coast in mid oct to shoot and maybe even MASS if I can't wait that long

PS Use the 70-200 for isolating spectacular foliage or catching a single leave falling with many other trees in the bg...check this image out with the 35L

https://photography-on-the.net …d.php?t=277475&​page=3#105

-Walt-
Life is good. Do What You Like. Like What You Do.
GEAR LIST
Take | In | Life Photography (external link)

michaelnel
750 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 25, 2008 08:34 as a reply to  @ wallybud's post |  #10

I'm headed to the Eastern Sierra to chase aspens the first weekend of October, taking the 40D, Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and Canon 70-200 f/4L IS. I expect all of them will be useful depending on conditions.

I keep my photos on SmugMug: (http://michaelnel.smug​mug.com (external link))

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 25, 2008 08:35 |  #11

Walt, I have spent hours driving around to spots I know about, and the Tokina is just not going to cut it except for close ups of trees I am in the middle of. The lay of the land is hills and valleys, with very few overlooks available to see the opposite hillside of the valley. It's just too far for a wide angle to show anything but smears of color with no detail. I think the 70-200 might work here, if I can get line of sight. I'm still looking though. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

wallybud
2,980 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 25, 2008 08:38 |  #12

Will you be using a tripod?;) why smears of color

-Walt-
GEAR LIST

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 25, 2008 08:45 |  #13

I almost always use a tripod. Smears of color, because the other side of the valley is too far for a wide angle to show any kind of small detail, like leaves, even individual trees. I'm talking half a mile or more.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

wallybud
2,980 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 25, 2008 09:07 |  #14

OH lol well isn't that an obvious 70-200 shot? Im talking in town when normal streets and corner stores become gorgeous looking due to the colors that surround them. But if the 12-24 is too wide then your going to need something inbetween...? budget? lol

35mm X 1.6 will give you 54mm fov...that nice and in the middle?

-Walt-
GEAR LIST

canonloader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
52,875 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 25, 2008 10:22 |  #15

Budget for sure. I just had to buy some new transportation. :(

Eventually, I would like to get the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L. But I think that may have to wait till I replace my old 400/5.6 that I was stupid enough to sell last year. :)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

sponsored links

6,308 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting Fall Foliage
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.