Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Sep 2008 (Monday) 22:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #190 - SIMPLICITY

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 22, 2008 22:16 |  #1

Challenge #190 - SIMPLICITY - WINNERS -

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/4025470064_79bcc23b2f_o.gif

From my original description of the theme, I assumed that all the entries will contain images with simple, uncomplicated graphic content. As usual, another possible interpretation was found by the participants, and some images are not visually simple, but transmit or suggest a simple idea: lovely, simple life, essential, simple pleasures.
Another group shows both a simple image and a simple idea and at least one, with simple shapes deals with a complex concept as liberty.
This multifaceted criteria and the quality of the images brings me to another contest difficult to judge. Here I go:
  • Maureen Souza – Pro1 – Simply Lovely
    The strong colors, the contrast of the green with the reds and yellows and the sensation of volume produced by the shadows make this an eye catching image. Really beautiful.
    -
  • WMDunkin – G9 – Hanging
    The detailed green sepals in sharp focus and the furry bee of sorts are nicely enhanced by the blurry close background. The blown up white distant background is a good idea, but I am not too fond of the overexposed petals, but the overall image is still a good picture. Welcome to this challenge and stay here for many more.
    -
  • etal – G7 – SYMPLICITY
    The pattern of lines formed by the clear and dark greens is the kind of simple image I was looking for. The lines converging to the center right with only one darker leaf breaking the symmetry are interesting composition elements. The withered yellow petals add some color contrast, but are slightly detrimental to the main pattern in my opinion.
    Welcome to the challenges, let this be the first of many participations.
    -
  • Kevan_G9 – G9 – Good Boy!
    The shape of the bone is simple enough for this challenge, I also like its texture and the bass relief is nicely enhanced by the angled light from the left. I think it would be even better with a less cluttered background (a paper without the letters, for example). Nice picture.
    -
  • macroshot – G7 – birds on a wire
    I love the lighting (i. e. the shadows) on the wires and the way they run on the main diagonal of the picture. A bit of luck placed the main subject and the bright sky within the dynamic range of the sensor, but that also required a carefully planed exposure that tells about the artist skill. The only minor complain is the placement of the turtledoves far apart toward the corners of the frame. What about just one of them place on the upper right or the bottom left thirds? Lovely simple picture.
    -
  • BobsYourUncle – G9 – Simple Life
    Those long legged mosquitoes and the way their legs interrupt the vertical pattern of the wall are a great subject for a simple image. A tighter crop of the left side or even a vertical framing to avoid the over exposed far foreground may help to the composition and exposure control.
    -
  • IainB – G1 – ‘Mind your head...’
    Nice title. I love the placement of the pole and the sign that account for the simplicity of the image. The dark sky and the distant line of trees and the wooden pier (can I call it a pier?) complete the composition nicely. A slightly blurred far background would be great, but we know that it is a hard task for the powershots. I would say infrared, but the dark leaves are against my guess. A filter or channel mixer post processing? Tell us the tale :)
    -
  • teekay – G1 – Abandoned
    An almost mathematical rule of thirds for the horizon and the silhouetted lonely home placement, the sparks of white on the overall dark ground texture and the clear sky with just a faint cloud on it are the keys to the simplicity depicted by this beautiful picture.
    -
  • Randall n LV – G9 – Sandstone lamp
    Great capture. The key feature, of course is the light spreading around the flames to show the fabulous texture and colors of that particular sandstone. The reflection of the flames glaring in the central bottom starts the sensation of perspective and volume that continues with the barely visible elements (another stone?) of the dark background. Very nice picture.
    -
  • Gloubiboulga – G9 – Simply... essential
    Yes, the little calf is carefully looking the photographer to be sure he can continue with his bare necessities. The framing, including only the essential parts of he and his mother to describe the scene makes it a simple photo. The contrast between the grass and the furry skins is nice.
    -
  • marie – Pro1 – simply stoned in the distant past
    That is the capture of images from a wonderful dream. The camera aimed to produce an almost architectural ‘lateral view’ flattens the building, but the lines of light created by the glow in the air restore the lost volume. The light also enhances the pattern of the stones in the roof and separates the whole structure from the diffused trees in the background. The tree at right provides the illusion that there is a solid glow behind the building. The narrowed and uniform colors palette makes simple the otherwise complex capture. Awesome shot.
    -
  • PicBug – G9 – What remains
    That was unexpected! Of course, a pair of humble sneakers call for a simple picture. :), the sand and its texture look good and the contrast with the shoes is nice. I know the shoes are not a head nor they have a face, but I keep thinking that they are showing us their rear and that their ‘nose’ is pointing right, so I’m expecting to see more sand to the right than to the left of them. Do any of these comments make sense? Thank you for sharing an original idea.
    -
  • Gary W. Graley – G9 – Liberty
    I like the beautiful and dramatic lighting. The textured background progressively going to pitch black provides a complete separation of the coin from it. There are complex lines from the face and the writing, but the complexity is lost because of the clean and pure line of the circle enclosing them. It is a picture with a nice concept and composition.
    -
  • Michael Wells – G9 – Simple Pleasures
    The ground with the pebbles in the foreground and the grass gradually fading to black frame the dog nicely. The picture is somewhat soft and noisy; while those can be seen as defects, I think they actually add to the mood of the picture and the pet looks good on it. It may be a simple pleasure, but he looks quite proud of guiding himself.
    -
  • Car – G7 – The sky's the limit
    It is a beautiful composition of the repetitive pattern of similar squares and circles with a different shadow on each of them. I think it was an interesting exposure decision to shot the interior relatively underexposed and the ‘oculus’ absolutely over exposed to show the sun bean entering the dome. Very well done.
    -
  • Boutty – G6 – golden harvest
    It is really a beautiful cob with golden grain. The composition or the crop limited to just part of the grain and part of its cover with the texture lines running in different directions is a clever decision to keep the image simple and interesting. The lighting is great. A wonderful closure of this week challenge.
    -

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2701/4025470162_7c5ea6782c_o.gif
  • 1st - Boutty – G6 – golden harvest
    Because just two elements, the ordered grains and its cover describes the whole cob nicely.
    -
  • 2nd - marie – Pro1 – simply stoned in the distant past
    Because the treatment of colors and light convert the picture in a simple and beautiful painting.
    -
  • 3rd - Randall n LV – G9 – Sandstone lamp
    Because the whole perspective is achieved by the simple interaction between the light and the texture of the stone.
    -
  • Mention - teekay – G1 – Abandoned
    Because of the simple and classical composition with a minimum of elements.
    -

Some notes:
  • WMDunkin wrote the title in the message body and not in the in the subject row. This is his first post in these challenges, so I considered it a valid title. The title box will appear clicking 'advanced mode' when posting.
    -
  • Michael Wells posted an image 798 pixels high. I think there was a clear intention to obey the 800 pixels rule and considered the 2 pixel difference just a minor technical problem while resizing.
    -
  • An additional comment, not strictly related to the host duties:
    The avatar of macroshot, blown up to the correct size, will do a great entry for this particular challenge :). I mean the one copied below for archive porpouses, just in case he decides to change avatars in the future.
    http://sites.google.co​m …roshot_avatar11​9467_5.jpg (external link)
    -

Many thanks to everyone; 16 interesting submissions of high quality standard, as usual.

Remember, all my comments are my own subjective appreciation of your work; some may be wrong, some inaccurate. I did my best to be as fair as possible.

Regards

rafael

I started by thinking: the theme for this week should be something simple….
and that was my last thought about it :)

The theme for this week is SIMPLICITY

Show us a picture that is simple, uncomplicated, uncompounded.
Go even further, if you like: show us a picture that can be described as naïve,
or just pick some description from the dictionary and put into your picture directness of expression, clarity, restraint in ornamentation, austerity.

Another word about it, and this description will lose its simplicity, so pick your camera and go for the picture as you understand it.

Enjoy

To submit, click "Post Reply" and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT (external link), 29th September 2008.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1,G2,G3,G5,G6, G7, G9) or Pro 1 only.
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
  3. Size -- photo must be EXACTLY 800 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging" (about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,254 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Sep 22, 2008 23:51 |  #2

Simply Lovely

Pro 1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

WMDunkin
276 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Sep 23, 2008 10:41 |  #3

Hanging (G9)

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/2882671342_8d32a7db3b_o.jpg

Canon G9; 250D, LAH-DC20 Hood, WC-DC58B, LA-DC58H
Hoya 58mm UV, Circular Polarizer, Warming Intensifier filters

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/38165872@N00/ (external link)my blog (external link) | my website (external link) | my flickr (external link) | my youtube (external link)
© All rights reserved.

etal
39 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 23, 2008 12:59 as a reply to  @ WMDunkin's post |  #4

SIMPLICITY

Canon G7

HOSTED PHOTO

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 23, 2008 15:20 as a reply to  @ etal's post |  #5

Good Boy!

g9:

HOSTED PHOTO

kevan's lens (external link)

macroshot
Stuck by a stickie
2,983 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 23, 2008 22:12 as a reply to  @ Kevan's post |  #6

birds on a wire

G7 ~ 1/500 sec ~ f/4.5

HOSTED PHOTO

I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed.
~ Garry Winogrand

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 24, 2008 00:48 as a reply to  @ macroshot's post |  #7

Simple Life

G9

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

IainB
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Sep 24, 2008 05:15 |  #8

'Mind your head...'

G.1
1/50
IR

HOSTED PHOTO

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Sep 24, 2008 15:09 as a reply to  @ IainB's post |  #9

Abandoned

G1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Randall ­ n ­ LV
Goldmember
1,660 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 24, 2008 23:09 |  #10

Sandstone lamp

Canon g9

HOSTED PHOTO

My Flickr  (external link)
My Gear
Randall's Fine Art & Custom Framing (external link)

Gloubiboulga
88 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 27, 2008 14:41 |  #11

Simply… essential

G9…

HOSTED PHOTO

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 27, 2008 15:53 as a reply to  @ Gloubiboulga's post |  #12

simply stoned in the distant past

Pro 1
1/60 f2.8

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/52677767/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

PicBug
644 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 27, 2008 20:09 |  #13

What remains

G9

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

my little gallery (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)
Diamond Willow Photography Website (external link)
Canon 6D,Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 DiVC, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 135L, Sigma 85 1.4 EX DG HSM, Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM, 430EX II, Sigma 24-70 2.8, LR5 Editing

Gary ­ W. ­ Graley
Goldmember
1,326 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 27, 2008 21:07 as a reply to  @ PicBug's post |  #14

Liberty

G9
macro mode
ISO 80
1 second
f 7.4

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …Graley/G9/misc/​nickel.jpg (external link)

G2

5D Mark ii, 17-40L, 70-300L, 100L, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, S100

Umm..He's Sick, My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious……

Michael ­ Wells
932 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 28, 2008 17:11 as a reply to  @ Gary W. Graley's post |  #15

Simple Pleasures

G9

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 308633 does not exist. ]

Michael Wells
G9, 5D,Grip,70-200 2.8 IS,24-70,400 5.6

sponsored links

9,820 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #190 - SIMPLICITY
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.