Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Sep 2008 (Tuesday) 15:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iso 3200 side by side 40D vs 50D

Naturalworldphotographer
661 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 23, 2008 15:26 |  #1

I tried the 50D today in jessops! Looks great, feels very sturdy (not any more so than the 40D though) and operated in very much the same way. The autofocus to me seemed identical to the 40D (single shot mode, using one focus point) The biggest change regarding operation or usability is definately the screen which looks really nice. In menus it isn't really noticeably different, but viewing photos is a different matter, lines are much sharper and more defined, it's easier to see the focus and such...it looks beautiful in live view too. It looks like a print, but lit up, rather than a screen. :P

Anyway, so I did some shots of the same scene using the same settings (I shot in jpeg and raw) but for the moment I only have iso3200 side by side with the 40D using standart picture styles and AWB, but the same exposures. I'll try to get some more up shortly, if people are interested.

IMAGE: http://i33.tinypic.com/20u7kg3.jpg

There is the full (uninteresting) scene. :P As taken with the 40D

IMAGE: http://i35.tinypic.com/2lc4emr.jpg

Here are 100% crops with the 50D on the left and 40D on the right, you can see that the 50D shot is closer in due to the extra resolution.

I focussed both on the words "great savings" using magnified manual focus liveview. The 50D image looks soft to me - but I'm positive the focus must be slightly offor at least different. :/

NR was turned off for both.

(both were taken with the 17-85mm lens, and it was resting on a shelf, I did my best to replicate the scene with the other camera.

Ashley Taylor
Canon 5D and a few nice lenses. Sony RX100 is there too! :)

sponsored links
Sfordphoto
Goldmember
2,564 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 23, 2008 15:28 |  #2

any chance you can downsize the 50D to 10mp and put the side by sides up again?

thanks :). right now i am preferring the bottom right picture, but i think its because the bottom left picture is "enlargened" by the extra mp

Gear

Naturalworldphotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
661 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 23, 2008 15:28 |  #3

yep 1 minute :P

Ashley Taylor

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 23, 2008 15:29 |  #4

Are they the same sensor technology?

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

deeeez
521 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 23, 2008 15:31 |  #5

NWP you've obviously looked at these closely on your monitor, they look pretty much identical to me. What are your impressions?

Love this forum, even though I shoot with dark side. :D
Haibert B.

Naturalworldphotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
661 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 23, 2008 15:37 |  #6

IMAGE: http://i34.tinypic.com/2czeukj.jpg

Here the 50D has been downscaled to 10mp. Again 50D on the left and 40D on the right.

Ashley Taylor

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 23, 2008 15:39 |  #7

I can't tell the difference except for the price you're paying for things in the UK vs the USA.

;}

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

deeeez
521 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 23, 2008 15:40 |  #8

NWP, thanks for taking the time to post these. There is a little improvement in color saturation though on the background of the 50D picture...

Haibert B.

Naturalworldphotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
661 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 23, 2008 15:41 |  #9

deeeez wrote in post #6366704 (external link)
NWP you've obviously looked at these closely on your monitor, they look pretty much identical to me. What are your impressions?

Well I'm gonna have a look at the other photos I took, i have the same scene at iso 800, 1600, 3200 for 40D and 50D and iso 6400 and 12800 for the 50D. In fairness, the 50D's images look slightly cleaner at pixel level, and would look cleaner in a print I would think due to the higher res. I'll do that in the next few days. Also I think iso 6400 on the 50D looks quite nasty but potentially usable, and the noise wouldn't worry you too much if you printed a passport sized photo at iso 12800 with the 50D, otherwise, it's a blizzard.

On the 50D shot above, it looks decidedly softer than that of the 40D - but I'm going to compare all the other shots I took and have a look at the other 50D photos of other things before making any judgements.

Ashley Taylor

deeeez
521 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 23, 2008 15:42 |  #10

can you post some 6400 and above samples when you get the chance please?

Haibert B.

Sfordphoto
Goldmember
2,564 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 23, 2008 15:46 |  #11

wow that was fast, thanks NWP

you are right about the softness of the 50D...i can't read "leather compact case" as well

the noise looked comparable at the per pixel level, but now that you downsized the 50D, the noise looks a little better on the 50D, for example the blue area below save 5 pounds and the area on the bag just to the right of save 5 pounds

Gear

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,310 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 23, 2008 15:56 |  #12

What settings were these taken at? f/stop? speed? I'm wondering if the softness is due to diffraction starting to impact the image due to the much smaller pixel size.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 23, 2008 15:58 |  #13

I see very little diff. 40D is sharper and has slightly more noise but the difference is almost ESP, it's that small. I'm really glad to see these images. It will keep me from selling my 40D to "upgrade" LOL!

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

X-WoodButch
438 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 23, 2008 15:58 |  #14

gjl711 wrote in post #6366848 (external link)
What settings were these taken at? f/stop? speed? I'm wondering if the softness is due to diffraction starting to impact the image due to the much smaller pixel size.

Comes up at F5 1/250

Canon 50d+Grip, 40d+grip, 20d+grip, Nikon D300+grip, Canon MR-14EX TTL Ring Lite, Sigma EF-500 DG ST Flash, Canon EF 70-200mm F4.0 L USM, Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro lens, Canon 50mm f1.8 2 Niffty-Fifty, Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm, Tammy 28-75mm, Sigma 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC lens, Tokina 12-24mm f4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO HSM Macro, Manfrotto #3047 legs & head, Bogen/Manfrotto 676B Monopod, Canon Monopod 100, Slik Pro 340 DX Tripod and a bunch of NIKON stuff...

n1as
Goldmember
2,330 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 23, 2008 15:59 |  #15

gjl711 wrote in post #6366848 (external link)

EXIF says 1/250 at f/5 for both.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

sponsored links

120,267 views & 0 likes for this thread
iso 3200 side by side 40D vs 50D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.