Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Sep 2008 (Wednesday) 03:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

micro adjustment - how?

mrklaw
678 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 24, 2008 03:49 |  #1

How does the micro adjustment feature work on new Canon bodies, and are there limitations? Eg workign better on a prime than a zoom? Just wondering if a focus adjustment at eg the wide end of a zoom would still work at the long end?

Or do you end up trying shots at different adjustments and different lengths, and picking the best compromise?

no dear, it didn't cost much at all

my stuff

Pete ­ W
Goldmember
1,268 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 24, 2008 03:52 |  #2

Do a search, this has been covered in great depth ;)

All the best
Pete Woods LRPS QGP
My Website (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 24, 2008 03:53 |  #3

Canon recommends adjusting zooms at their longest focal length, as the depth of field is shortest there.
There's only one setting for each lens type.

I don't have any camera with this feature, so this is only what I've read about it.

Anders

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 24, 2008 14:44 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #4

I have it on my mk3 but if I think a lens is out it will go to canon.

Gear List

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 24, 2008 14:52 |  #5

MA works best on primes from my experience.
Most of my lenses are spot on, so I only need to MA 2 of my lenses.

On a zoom, what I typically do is if there isn't 1 MA value that does it for all focal lengths, then I will write down the MA value needed at the long end and the short end and average it out.

However if my lens is really out of whack, I usually send it in for recalibration...

mrklaw wrote in post #6370210 (external link)
How does the micro adjustment feature work on new Canon bodies, and are there limitations? Eg workign better on a prime than a zoom? Just wondering if a focus adjustment at eg the wide end of a zoom would still work at the long end?

Or do you end up trying shots at different adjustments and different lengths, and picking the best compromise?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,129 views & 0 likes for this thread
micro adjustment - how?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.