Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Sep 2008 (Wednesday) 04:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

auto lighting optimiser - what does it do?

mrklaw
678 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 24, 2008 04:05 |  #1

and highlight tone priority for that matter.

got my 50D and have no idea what these do. The manual is next to useless on this.

no dear, it didn't cost much at all

my stuff

sponsored links
TheShotLessTaken
91 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 24, 2008 04:05 |  #2

Where do you live?

himynameisfrank

Nikon D300/Nikon D200 | Nikkor 18-200mm VR | Nikkor 105mm VR f/2.8 | Tokina 12-24mm AT-X Pro f/4

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 24, 2008 04:37 as a reply to  @ TheShotLessTaken's post |  #3

Highlight tone priority exposes the highlights a little less, to avoid blowing them into the overflow range. The cost for this is slightly more noise in the shadows.
It has a noticeable effect.

Auto lighting optimizer is a more general thing, intended to correct exposure deficits all over the image, thus not only saving highlights but also lifting shadows, to preserve more detail in them. Like expanding the dynamic range of the sensor without really doing that, but just aqueezing in the available light into what the sensor can capture. I don't have any camera where this can be turned on or off as you like, since on the 40D, it's always on in pre-programmed modes and always off in the creative zone. But most tests I've read, where they tested a camera which does allow you to turn it on or off as you like, have found it to have no effect whatsoever.

Anders

mrklaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
678 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Sep 26, 2008 03:21 as a reply to  @ apersson850's post |  #4

thanks. So is it kind of like using shadows/highlights in Photoshop elements? I'm not sure I'd be happy for my camera to decide what needs lightening or not.

no dear, it didn't cost much at all

my stuff

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 26, 2008 04:52 as a reply to  @ mrklaw's post |  #5

Don't know your body, but with my Ds3, using that feature decreases buffer size.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

leadweight
252 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 26, 2008 07:33 |  #6

On my XSi ALO is on by default, but may be turned off in custom settings. I have not tried that yet. I have tried HTP both on and off and could not tell the diference. HTP does eliminate the ISP 100 setting. HTP also had a strange side effect of preventing the toning options in DPP from working on monochrome images.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,071 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 26, 2008 13:18 as a reply to  @ leadweight's post |  #7

I can easily tell the difference if I use highlight tone priority on the 40D. But as always/most of the time, it's mainly a good feature if you use jpeg.

The newer cameras have three different settings for auto light optimizing, standard, more or less, apart from turning it off all together. Perhaps that's more useful?

I guess you could try green box vs. P mode, with P mode set up to be equivalent to the green box, to see what difference it may do on a 40D.

Anders

sponsored links

1,398 views & 0 likes for this thread
auto lighting optimiser - what does it do?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.