Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 24 Sep 2008 (Wednesday) 08:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

picture style for fall pictures?

sgogula
777 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 24, 2008 08:43 |  #1

I am going to new hampshire (white mountains) this weekend and want to know from others about what picture style is best for the fall pictures?

one more question, I recently started shooting in RAW and want to know if picture styles are applied to RAW images aswell.

Canon 5D III | Canon 24-70 L II | Canon 50D | Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II | Sigma 17-50 OS | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | 580,430 EX II Speedlite

sponsored links
Aweitzel
412 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 24, 2008 08:45 |  #2

No, picture styles do not apply to RAW.
EDIT: this site may help you choose or edit your own pic style.
http://www.canon.co.jp …g/picturestyle/​index.html (external link)

g9, 40d,28-135 kit, 55-250, 430EX, t-50( Yes its film.)
http://www.aweitzelpho​tography.com/ (external link)

sgogula
THREAD ­ STARTER
777 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 24, 2008 09:13 as a reply to  @ Aweitzel's post |  #3

I see Autumn Hues available for download on canon website.
How do I apply this picture style to a RAW image in CS3?

Canon 5D III | Canon 24-70 L II | Canon 50D | Canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II | Sigma 17-50 OS | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | 580,430 EX II Speedlite

Aweitzel
412 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 24, 2008 09:17 |  #4

I cant help you there, i think you can only do it threw Canons soft wear either DPP or picture style editor . And even then i think it may only do it with Jpeg.
dont quote me here, im hoping some one will correct me.
EDIT: i just edited a RAW image in DPP, and in its tool bar it had a pull down menu that will apply pictures styles to the image.
I dont own Cs3, so sorry cant help futher there.

g9, 40d,28-135 kit, 55-250, 430EX, t-50( Yes its film.)
http://www.aweitzelpho​tography.com/ (external link)

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 24, 2008 10:49 |  #5

sgogula wrote in post #6371128 (external link)

"Autumn Hues" (and others by Canon) only work with DPP. There are also, Clear, Nostalgia, Emerald, and Twilight.

If you have upgraded with the latest Adobe Cameral Profiles, I would suggest that you shoot only RAW, and in PP try the different profiles one at a time.

I find that by trying different profiles, I can get a colour balance that suits my taste. But I've also found that different images react differently to any given profile. Sometimes Camera Faithful works best, sometimes another one works. There are eight in all, and they can have very different effects.

Also you can play around with the Vibrance and Saturation to change the look; the Hue/Saturation/Luminan​ce sliders can also be used to enhance or turn down one or more tones.

And you should have a calibrated monitor so what you see is what you get.

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

sgogula
THREAD ­ STARTER
777 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 24, 2008 12:59 |  #6

Glenn NK wrote in post #6371776 (external link)
"Autumn Hues" (and others by Canon) only work with DPP. There are also, Clear, Nostalgia, Emerald, and Twilight.

If you have upgraded with the latest Adobe Cameral Profiles, I would suggest that you shoot only RAW, and in PP try the different profiles one at a time.

I find that by trying different profiles, I can get a colour balance that suits my taste. But I've also found that different images react differently to any given profile. Sometimes Camera Faithful works best, sometimes another one works. There are eight in all, and they can have very different effects.

Also you can play around with the Vibrance and Saturation to change the look; the Hue/Saturation/Luminan​ce sliders can also be used to enhance or turn down one or more tones.

And you should have a calibrated monitor so what you see is what you get.

Thanks Glenn for your reply.

How do I calibrate my monitor?. Is it something available in CS3?

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 24, 2008 14:32 |  #7

sgogula wrote in post #6372619 (external link)
Thanks Glenn for your reply.

How do I calibrate my monitor?. Is it something available in CS3?

You need a hardware device called a colorimeter (it comes with software).

I use the Spyder 3 Elite, but there are several other brands on the market.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk …ofiling/spyder3​elite.html (external link)

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk …profiling/spyde​r3pro.html (external link)

There are some less expensive methods, but generally are not terribly accurate from what I've heard.

http://www.photofriday​.com/calibrate.php (external link)

http://normankoren.com …ineprints1A.htm​l#Gammabox (external link)

http://quickgamma.de/i​ndexen.html (external link)

woodsters
Goldmember
1,894 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 26, 2008 17:11 |  #8

sgogula wrote in post #6371128 (external link)

It looks like you download it to the camera. read the "how to use" tab..

www.brianwoodphotograp​hy.com (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 26, 2008 17:16 |  #9

sgogula wrote in post #6370938 (external link)
I am going to new hampshire (white mountains) this weekend and want to know from others about what picture style is best for the fall pictures?

Landscape seems to be pretty decent after some tweaking, IMHO.

sgogula wrote in post #6370938 (external link)
one more question, I recently started shooting in RAW and want to know if picture styles are applied to RAW images aswell.

They're applied in DPP but not third party RAW programs.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 27, 2008 00:37 |  #10

cdifoto wrote in post #6387485 (external link)
Landscape seems to be pretty decent after some tweaking, IMHO. (Adobe Profile)

They're applied in DPP but not third party RAW programs. (Canon Picture Styles).

1. Since the new Adobe profiles came out, I have tried them all - a lot.

In fact for just about every image I've taken since I installed them I have gone through the whole set (eight in all including 3.4 and 4.4) one at a time to see which seems to "suit" each image best.

I find that Camera Landscape Beta 1 is usually too garish. For example, with red flowers, the red seems so over the top that it wipes out quite a bit of the detail and I use Stardard, Faithful or Neutral and increase the Vibrance and/or Saturation in Lightroom 2.1.

2. True about DPP being the only one to recognize the picture styles.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 27, 2008 00:40 |  #11

I was referring to DPP Landscape, but I haven't really used it in awhile. I haven't used any of the new DNGs to any extent except Neutral, since I do mostly people stuff and find it works best (IMHO) on skin tones.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 27, 2008 00:44 |  #12

cdifoto wrote in post #6389489 (external link)
I was referring to DPP Landscape, but I haven't really used it in awhile. I haven't used any of the new DNGs to any extent except Neutral, since I do mostly people stuff and find it works best (IMHO) on skin tones.

Sorry, my mistake - just for fun, try Adobe Landscape on a portrait (just kidding about Landscape.:))

Camera Neutral beta 1 is one I use surprisingly often for flowers and landscapes.

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 27, 2008 00:50 |  #13

Seeing as though you are shooting RAW I wouldn't worry about picture styles, especially seeing as you have CS3 and can experiment when you get home.

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 27, 2008 00:56 |  #14

Glenn NK wrote in post #6389499 (external link)
Sorry, my mistake - just for fun, try Adobe Landscape on a portrait (just kidding about Landscape.:))

I tried it on a selfy just for kicks. I looked like a demon. Well, moreso than usual.

Glenn NK wrote in post #6389499 (external link)
Camera Neutral beta 1 is one I use surprisingly often for flowers and landscapes.

I find Camera Neutral to be a pretty nice catch-all. Kinda makes things appear as natural as my eyes saw it.

sponsored links

3,905 views & 0 likes for this thread
picture style for fall pictures?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.