Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Sep 2008 (Wednesday) 11:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D Mark III Users: Great Camera Setting Tip

MichaelAlan_Photo
278 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 24, 2008 11:05 |  #1

Hell friends,

I just wanted to let you all in on a little tip that I found with the Mark III and how it is capable of making your life a whole lot easier.

If you know about it then good for you. If you don't then try it out...

This is primarily for the photographers who like to assign the '*' button for their auto focusing over those who just press the shutter half way.

The feature that helps me get the shot 10/10 times is that I have my AF set to the AF-ON button on the back right and I have the * set to a registered camera setting. I move my thumb to the * when I don't have time to adjust my manual settings so it just jumps into Av mode with +1/3 EC so I can always get the shot and get it exposed in the ballpark. As soon as I release it it back to normal Manual mode. The * button also does the AF as long as going into Av mode.

I have my Mark III set up as follows:
cFn. IV - 1: Shutter Button/AF-ON button = Set this up with what you do in mind. The main thing here is to assign the AF-ON button to do all the Autofocus action. I don't have my camera near but I think I am set to 0 or 3. Who knows.

cFn I - 14: Apply Shooting/Metering Mode = Enable.
I registered this to put me into Av mode with + 1/3 exposure compensation. This means that every time I press the * button, my camera will not only auto focus, but it will also jump into Av mode with +1/3 exposure compensation. No need to fidget with my settings. All I need to do is move my thumb from the AF-On button to the * and I am in Av mode to ensure that I get the shot. You can assign this button to whatevr you want really. Program mode, Tv mode whatever!

Finally (optional)
cFn. IV - 2: AF-ON/AE Lock Button Switch = enable to switch their functions so you are back to AF with the * and the AF-ON will activate the registered camera setting.

This is open to interpretation and isn't perfect for everyone. If you think it would be helpful then give it a shot and let me know what you think.

my portfolio: www.michaelalanphoto.c​om (external link)
my fine art site: www.michaelalanfineart​.com (external link)
let me inLIGHTin you: www.inlightinworkshop.​com (external link)

sponsored links
SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,812 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 24, 2008 11:37 |  #2

Thanks for the tips :D I just took a look into 1-14 and that is pretty spiffy. I havent read up on all the custom functions but that is really handy.

5D3 | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Lazuka
Cream of the Crop
5,639 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 24, 2008 11:40 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

MichaelAlan_Photo wrote in post #6371886 (external link)
Hell friends,

I just wanted to let you all in on a little tip that I found with the Mark III and how it is capable of making your life a whole lot easier.

If you know about it then good for you. If you don't then try it out...

This is primarily for the photographers who like to assign the '*' button for their auto focusing over those who just press the shutter half way.

The feature that helps me get the shot 10/10 times is that I have my AF set to the AF-ON button on the back right and I have the * set to a registered camera setting. I move my thumb to the * when I don't have time to adjust my manual settings so it just jumps into Av mode with +1/3 EC so I can always get the shot and get it exposed in the ballpark. As soon as I release it it back to normal Manual mode. The * button also does the AF as long as going into Av mode.

I have my Mark III set up as follows:
cFn. IV - 1: Shutter Button/AF-ON button = Set this up with what you do in mind. The main thing here is to assign the AF-ON button to do all the Autofocus action. I don't have my camera near but I think I am set to 0 or 3. Who knows.

cFn I - 14: Apply Shooting/Metering Mode = Enable.
I registered this to put me into Av mode with + 1/3 exposure compensation. This means that every time I press the * button, my camera will not only auto focus, but it will also jump into Av mode with +1/3 exposure compensation. No need to fidget with my settings. All I need to do is move my thumb from the AF-On button to the * and I am in Av mode to ensure that I get the shot. You can assign this button to whatevr you want really. Program mode, Tv mode whatever!

Finally (optional)
cFn. IV - 2: AF-ON/AE Lock Button Switch = enable to switch their functions so you are back to AF with the * and the AF-ON will activate the registered camera setting.

This is open to interpretation and isn't perfect for everyone. If you think it would be helpful then give it a shot and let me know what you think.

I literally got my camera 5 days ago, so this is a great tip, i'll be playing with it tommorow.

I suck at Photoshop.

MichaelAlan_Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
278 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 24, 2008 12:26 |  #4

Glad it can help. Just like GI Joe said, Knowing is half the battle.

The other half is remembering that you have this nifty feature enabled!

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 24, 2008 12:53 as a reply to  @ MichaelAlan_Photo's post |  #5

I feel more comfortable with AF assigned to the "*" button, but I can certainly see the benefit of this.

MichaelAlan_Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
278 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 24, 2008 13:31 |  #6

nicksan wrote in post #6372581 (external link)
I feel more comfortable with AF assigned to the "*" button, but I can certainly see the benefit of this.

That is why God gave us this feature:
cFn. IV - 2: AF-ON/AE Lock Button Switch

It will switch their purposes. So your AF can be back to the * and the Av mode will be on the AF-ON button. See above again which explains that feature.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 24, 2008 13:46 |  #7

Yep, have had the "*" for AF for a while now...don't ever need to switch to Av but for those who do, I can certainly see this as a great alternative.

MichaelAlan_Photo wrote in post #6372875 (external link)
That is why God gave us this feature:
cFn. IV - 2: AF-ON/AE Lock Button Switch

It will switch their purposes. So your AF can be back to the * and the Av mode will be on the AF-ON button. See above again which explains that feature.

Savagelogic
54 posts
Joined May 2004

Sep 24, 2008 15:10 |  #8

Thanks a bunch for the tip, this will be very useful assuming I remember that I set this up out in the field!

elbirth
Goldmember
1,885 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Sep 24, 2008 15:47 |  #9

That's actually very cool.

I have a question, though... would the cFn I - 14 happen to be available on any of the other series cameras? Specifically, the 5D. I'm assuming the fact that the 5D has a dial might make that a no (plus you have the custom modes that could perform essentially the same function), but wanted to ask anyway. Would be handy to avoid having to turn a dial if you have 2 modes you alternate between a lot.

5D Mark II, Leica M8
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM
POTN Strap, Domke J3 bag

flickr (external link)

Doublea17
416 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 24, 2008 15:48 |  #10

Michael,
thanks for the tip when I get mine:) on Monday (hurry Up UPS) I will try them setting.

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 24, 2008 16:45 |  #11

cFn I - 14 is one of the most underused but best CFN's on that camera.

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

TeeTee
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 24, 2008 19:29 |  #12

I found that out some time ago and it's a real lifesaver in fast changing situations. It's a shame it isn't publicized more because it basically allows you to work in two modes at the same time with no lag in between.

Good job pointing this out to the masses, it's been mentioned before but every now and again it helps having a refresher :)

5DmkII & 85L
and a bunch of other glass that rarely sees the light

datadump
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 24, 2008 23:32 |  #13

thx for the tip..

datadump

datadump
Goldmember
1,932 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 25, 2008 07:25 |  #14

when u set it up in this way, too bad u cant change the aperture value too... like press * and scroll the top wheel to increase/decrease a/v

datadump

MichaelAlan_Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
278 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 29, 2008 10:56 |  #15

datadump wrote in post #6377593 (external link)
when u set it up in this way, too bad u cant change the aperture value too... like press * and scroll the top wheel to increase/decrease a/v

I would consider this a beggars can't be choosers setting.

What I mean by this is that you will get a shot that is no worse than one stop over / under exposed.

If you shoot in RAW then this should be no skin off your back. Would you rather miss the shot entierly?

sponsored links

9,696 views & 0 likes for this thread
1D Mark III Users: Great Camera Setting Tip
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.