Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 24 Sep 2008 (Wednesday) 22:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rocky Mountain National Park

Danell ­ Bags
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 24, 2008 22:31 |  #1

I'm heading to Colorado a week from Saturday and will be going to RMNP - Hoping the fall foliage is good at that time. Has anyone been there in the Fall? I also hear that the elk are abundant this time of year. Any tips or suggestions on areas to go. I will be coming from the north and going through Estes Park. Thanks for any advise or suggestions.

Danell :)

sponsored links
wjburch
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 25, 2008 17:46 |  #2

Well I Haven't been there in the fall but in the spring the elk are always at the sheep lakes and also the moraine park areas (both near Estes Park). There is a side road just past the entrance to the moraine visitor center on the right. That should get you pretty close to them. If you have never seen elk in the fall it is really weird hearing them bugle.

Joe

sparker1
Cream of the Crop
29,188 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 25, 2008 20:21 |  #3

You need a long lens for the elk in rut. Certain areas where the elk congregate are off-limits, so you can't get as close as normal. The moose are more apt to be on the west side of the park. You may well get into snow at this time of year, but the colors should be good.

Stan (See my gallery at http://www.pbase.com/s​parker1 (external link))

7D, 50D, 300D, EF-S 10-22 mm, EF-S 18-55 mm kit lens, EF 24-105 L IS, EF 50 mm 1.8, Sigma 150-500mm (Bigmos)

Danell ­ Bags
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 28, 2008 01:54 as a reply to  @ sparker1's post |  #4

Thanks for the suggestions - I have my map out and will take note of where you said to watch for the elk -

I have a 100-400 lens so I hope that will be close enough.

I'll let you know how the trip turns out!

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Sep 28, 2008 01:59 |  #5

Danell Bags wrote in post #6376014 (external link)
I'm heading to Colorado a week from Saturday and will be going to RMNP - Hoping the fall foliage is good at that time. Has anyone been there in the Fall? I also hear that the elk are abundant this time of year. Any tips or suggestions on areas to go. I will be coming from the north and going through Estes Park. Thanks for any advise or suggestions.

Visited there a couple of weeks ago:
http://www.pbase.com/f​lyingphotog/rmnp08 (external link)

The Ridge Trail Road was already closed at Mile Post 11 (Rainbow Curve) with 7' drifts at higher elevations...

Magnificent place. If you're not used to elevation, spend some time in Estes Park before heading higher. Altitude sickness is a reality and it can spoil a trip pretty quick. Stay hydrated...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Danell ­ Bags
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 28, 2008 17:09 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #6

Jay,

Thanks for sharing your pictures from your trip - They're great!

I was beginning to wonder if you saw any wildlife - At least the "one" was accomodating for a few shots.

For getting accustomed to the altitude, I went hiking yesterday at 7,500 feet to see how I would fare. I did okay, but decided my camera pack is way too heavy (30 pounds) and yes, when you go down hill to see the falls, that means you do have to climb back up! So needless to say, after the 1 mile hike down and the 1 mile hike back up, I am feeling it today :o

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 29, 2008 08:23 as a reply to  @ Danell Bags's post |  #7

Fall colors in the Rockies is very overrated. You have yellow and brown on the Aspens, period.
The elevation won't support the Oaks and Maples.

What you do have is:
The grandeur of the Rocky Mountains, esp. with snow on the upper elevations,
The abundance of wildlife, big and small,
Mountain lakes that give gorgeous reflections during the "golden hours",
The list is endless...unless

Your like me and spend 4 days in the park and have it rain 3 1/2 days. C'est la vie. :lol:

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Keltab
889 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 01, 2008 13:19 |  #8

RMNP is a great [hoto spot all year long. This time of year you will see elk at each end of the park in the meadows areas. We were there two weeks ago and saw over 100 elk between the three primary meadows areas. The closest were in the meadows closest to Grand Lake. As for a great "altitude view" try Rainbow Curve. It is the last rest stop before you hit the part that closes for snow usually. It has great vistas, and it's name is well earned. Also, quite a few chipmunks and pinon jays for some small wildlife - and they pose well! I hope you enjoy your trip and take a lot of pics!

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

ComfortablyNumb
75 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 03, 2008 11:13 |  #9

chauncey wrote in post #6401962 (external link)
Fall colors in the Rockies is very overrated. You have yellow and brown on the Aspens, period.
The elevation won't support the Oaks and Maples.

What you do have is:
The grandeur of the Rocky Mountains, esp. with snow on the upper elevations,
The abundance of wildlife, big and small,
Mountain lakes that give gorgeous reflections during the "golden hours",
The list is endless...unless

Your like me and spend 4 days in the park and have it rain 3 1/2 days. C'est la vie. :lol:

I concur with chauncey...I was in the park during labor day weekend...beautiful place...good scenic drives...definitely try the Old Fall River Road...during rain it becomes more spectacular and HDR worthy...

Also, if you are in luck, at Alpine Center, if the timing for rain/sun is right, you will see a full rainbow over the valley.

I was lucky to shoot elk photos from a very close distance, I would say about 20-30 feet. The herd had come down to Lake Estes in the morning (6am-8am). They said it was the start of mating season, I guess the males were horny enough to not care about the humans so close ;)

See my Photography (external link)
updated 06/15/09 (India trip)

Kanonenfutter
45 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 20, 2008 23:21 |  #10

Too late for OP, but if anyone else is looking at this - I went yesterday Sunday 10-20 and it was gorgeous. Got there before daylight, was greeted by a curious coyote as I was assembling my gear in the semidark, and my hasty shot with the 70-200 f/2.8 came off well enough to be a personal memento. Gotta love 2.8 in the dark.

Elk were in abundance of course, close enough for P&S in some places, but for the big antlers I was glad I had rented a 500 f/4.5 for the day - too long in many cases, I came away with nice headshots of elk... Elk bulls were calm, observed no rutting.

As often happens, by mid-morning some clouds appeared, so the light kept changing. It was warm for this time and that altitude, mid-30s at 6AM then must have been 60 by noon, although a strong wind made it feel chillier.

Trailridge road was open, bitterly cold of course, shops and visitor center closed but lavatories open. Hardly any snow on the high peaks. Still - great views with clear air, just not as stunning as when there is new snow.

Fall colors aplenty down below, but more so on the drive up from Lyons.

Now we are keeping our fingers crossed that next weekend stays as good as it is forecast for one more trip up there.

A great place, no matter when and how and where you go. One day I'll have to learn how to post pix here so I can show what I mean. Promise...

sponsored links

3,446 views & 0 likes for this thread
Rocky Mountain National Park
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.