Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Sep 2008 (Friday) 14:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hiking the Zion Narrows

blipski
55 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 26, 2008 14:57 |  #1

So I was supposed to go hiking the Zion Narrows with a friend, but due to work, he won't be able to make it any longer. Is hiking the Narrows solo okay, or recommended against? I'm 24 and in good shape, if that matters. I'd really like to go, as I won't have any vacation time for another 9 months, and I've been meaning to go for a while but always end up going elsewhere. Any comments from people who have done it before, either solo or with others?

sponsored links
Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,732 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 26, 2008 15:53 |  #2

There will be plenty of people in the Narrows with you if you go during normal tourist hours. The Narrows, as with all deep cut, narrow canyons, does have a risk of flash flooding, so that is the danger really. The advantage of having someone hike with you, of course, is that if you stumble and get hurt, there is someone to go for help or to assist you in hiking back out of the canyon.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

blipski
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 26, 2008 16:13 as a reply to  @ Mark_Cohran's post |  #3

Forgot to mention I would be doing the long version of the hike that involves getting the permit, and possibly camping at one of the campsites.

irishman
Goldmember
4,098 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 27, 2008 12:14 |  #4

I never recommend hiking alone. The backcountry, while seemingly tame, is not to be trifled with.

6D, G9, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 50 2.8 macro, Nikon 14-24G 2.8, Canon 16-35 2.8 II, Canon 24-105 f/4 IS, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, tripod, lights, other stuff.

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,732 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Sep 27, 2008 12:55 |  #5

blipski wrote in post #6387118 (external link)
Forgot to mention I would be doing the long version of the hike that involves getting the permit, and possibly camping at one of the campsites.

Then I would have to recommend you wait until you have someone to accompany you.

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

fotoshane
103 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 27, 2008 19:54 |  #6

just got back from Zion Canyon. I hiked up to Angel's landing by myself and I'm in pretty bad shape ;o

You'll get some great shots there.

"My favorite thing is to go where I've never been....". -Diane Arbus
flickr (external link)
deviantART (external link)

Sparky98
Goldmember
1,129 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 28, 2008 13:38 |  #7

Solo hiking is not recommended but people do it all the time and return home safely. Then there are the cases where someone falls into a crevice and are never found, or they get wedged between 2 rocks and they either die or cut an arm off with their pocket knife, or maybe they get eaten by a bear. If you are in reasonable shape and know what you are doing solo hiking/camping can be an enjoyable experience. You just have to be careful and think about what you are doing. Just remember a slight injury at home might not be much to worry about but that same injury in the wilderness could become a life or death issue.

The most dangerous thing most of us ever do is to drive or ride in a car but we are so accustomed to vehicles that we don't even think about the dangers. If you prepare yourself for a solo hike you will probably be safer in the wilderness than when driving to the wilderness.

Joe
5DIII

AmaTxGuy
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 28, 2008 21:57 as a reply to  @ Sparky98's post |  #8

Hike by yourself.. Its great you can concentrate on your shots without anybody bothering you (in my case its kids)

If your family is bothered by it you can get a PLB

You can buy one or rent one

http://www.plbrentals.​com/ (external link)

http://www.landfallnav​igation.com/acrresqfix​.html (external link)

Win
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 29, 2008 12:36 as a reply to  @ AmaTxGuy's post |  #9

I'd say do it and you'll probably not have a problem. Watch the weather and be aware that the water is getting cold! You might want to rent a wetsuit, shoes and hiking stick. Zion Adventure is close to the park, does the rentals and can shuttle you to the trailhead.

Win

Gear List
Utah Pictures: www.winpics.fototime.c​om (external link)

blipski
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 29, 2008 13:18 as a reply to  @ Win's post |  #10

I appreciate the tips guys! I usually go hiking alone as far as photography, that way I don't bore anyone by waiting for the right light for a couple of hours. Then again, it's usually only a few miles of trails and not as risky as the Narrows.

I think I'll do it solo, as long as the weather reports look very positive. If not I'll just do several day hikes instead. Thanks a bunch for the link for the GPS device. I'll have to look into that, might ease some my girlfriend's worries :)

Milner
336 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 03, 2008 14:38 as a reply to  @ blipski's post |  #11

Little late, sorry....

Check out Zion Adventure Company and Zion Outdoors. On any given day they will have people going out to the Narrows.
As long as the weather is good, you won't have any problems being alone. There will always be someone behind and in front of you, never really alone in there anymore....

There a tons of great day hikes as well. Ask the locals to point you in a direction. Hit the Bit and Spur for a beer the night before and you'll find plenty of locals willing to share some off the beaten path areas with you.

Never do the Subway alone though!!!!

TOYS, Enjoy your life everyday!!!!
Camera suff: 40D, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L non-is, 24-70L, nifty 50, Tokina 11-16, ex580 X2, A2 for that icky film stuff. Lights=Photogenic 1250's x2 and Norman ml400 x2.
Cars: 73 Bronco Buggy, 95 F250 PSD, 06 Liberty CRD, 49 Studebaker PU

sponsored links

2,004 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hiking the Zion Narrows
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.