Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 28 Sep 2008 (Sunday) 08:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please critique my first panorama attempt

RAPhotography
465 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 28, 2008 08:35 |  #1

So I finally got around to trying a panorama. I'm sure there are many subtle nuances that I have yet to learn. so, if anyone sees any glaring problems, please enlighten me.

Also, for those of you who have printed panoramas, what are the most common print sizes? I cropped this one to 12 x 48 but have no idea how easy or hard it will be to print at that size (or, more likely, 6x24). A google search hasn't helped much either.

thanks in advance,

ryan

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
milorad
515 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 28, 2008 10:26 |  #2

I think it's a lovely scene, but I find the lack of contrast makes it a little bland looking to me. Is that real fog in the scene, or did you add that?

Sometimes shots in which everything is the same brightness look terrible in black and white -- unless you mess with the converted colour levels. Simply desaturating often leaves photos looking really flat.

Having said all that negative stuff, the only thing I really dont like is the conversion to b&w. It's almost IR-looking, but without the punch.

Gear List (external link) - Yeah baby.

dshankar
460 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 28, 2008 10:36 |  #3

I would agree that its lacking in contrast but I still love the image! I just don't like the "Ryan Adams Photography 2008" Test. It seems like one massive word to me...

RAPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
465 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 28, 2008 12:20 |  #4

yeah, the contrast was a conscious effort. as I started to increase it, it started cutting through the fog a bit more than I wanted. however, maybe I underplayed it a bit. I'll revisit that.

And I definately need to come up with a better text for panoramas.

thanks for the comments.

ryan

milorad
515 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Sep 28, 2008 12:24 |  #5

see, the reason I asked about the fog is this... fog in colour is separated from the trees simply because the trees are green, and the fog is not.

in black and white, its all an oozing mess of grey...

Instead of upping the contrast, consider changing the way you do your b&w conversion, and mess with the greens to make them punchier maybe.

I definitely get wanting to keep the fog, though.

Gear List (external link) - Yeah baby.

walternewton
326 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 28, 2008 22:00 |  #6

A few panorama printing options in this thread.

S-S
frustrating simple something
8,751 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Sep 28, 2008 22:04 |  #7

apart from the text being so large that it detracts from the image, i think you did a lovely job. its a very restful scene and looks like a misty morning. the contrast could be a little higher maybe but dont lose the fog effect.

RAPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
465 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 28, 2008 22:15 |  #8

walternewton wrote in post #6399663 (external link)
A few panorama printing options in this thread.

thanks for the link. that helps a lot.

ryan

walternewton
326 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 28, 2008 22:29 |  #9

RAPhotography wrote in post #6399817 (external link)
thanks for the link. that helps a lot.

ryan

You're welcome - looks great BTW!

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,224 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 29, 2008 06:31 |  #10

I, too, think this is a good pic and a good first panorama. The aerial perspective is great and adds nice depth to the scene. And the river that turns and flows thru the picture is fantastic. Good (technical) job on the panorama and an excellent choice of subject matter!

Website (external link) |

PETERSYMES
Goldmember
1,502 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 29, 2008 16:31 |  #11

Lovely composition in the shot and the stitching looks good.
It think it just needs some curves adjustment in Photoshop or similar, i tried it and the mist holds and you can get a punch into the contrast.

sponsored links

908 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please critique my first panorama attempt
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.