Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Sep 2008 (Sunday) 14:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's Your Computer Build?

Nogo
POTN record for # of posts during "Permanent Ban"
8,406 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 18, 2020 04:06 |  #2176

John wrote in post #19139846 (external link)
Are folks buying the individual parts and building their own rigs still?

Looking to get a power-ish PC but really don't have time to research parts and pricing like the good ol' days (last time I did this was over a decade ago for my college PC and it was a hobby).

Wondering if there are any companies that sell decent pre-built base systems and then I can buy a fitting GPU/PSU for my needs.

I used to buy refurb'd Dell desktops very close to "at cost" (of buying the individual parts) then just replaced the GPU/PSU but doesn't look like options are as good as I did this last time.

Most people today use a website such as PC Part Picker (external link) to help figure out what parts to put in a computer. For a beginner, they have build guides. Just go through the builds and find the one closest to what you want and then customize it for your own needs as you see fit.

Tom's Hardware (external link) is a great source for information too. They also have a section of builds.

Philip

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,856 posts
Gallery: 187 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 18, 2020 04:16 |  #2177

my son just asks the kids at his school what to get - he then draws up a list, and I take to the list with a hedgetrimmer....
Once we've argued for months about the benefits (or otherwise) of a particular component, I'll just buy whatever is cheapest.
So far, he has a mouse, a keyboard, and a copy of Windows 10 Pro. Guessing it'll be towards the end of the year before his computer build actually runs.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter purchased for:
TF posting: here :-)

AS_Photo
251 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Oct 19, 2020 11:08 |  #2178

Looking to get a power-ish PC but really don't have time to research parts and pricing like the good ol' days (last time I did this was over a decade ago for my college PC and it was a hobby).

Wondering if there are any companies that sell decent pre-built base systems and then I can buy a fitting GPU/PSU for my needs.

I used to buy refurb'd Dell desktops very close to "at cost" (of buying the individual parts) then just replaced the GPU/PSU but doesn't look like options are as good as I did this last time.

I do, it's the cheapest way to do it. The problem with buying a Dell and then replacing things is that cases aren't standardized necessarily, you don't know what motherboard you get exactly, typically less featured ones, etc.

aphphoto
448 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 01, 2020 14:26 |  #2179

AS_Photo wrote in post #19140501 (external link)
I do, it's the cheapest way to do it. The problem with buying a Dell and then replacing things is that cases aren't standardized necessarily, you don't know what motherboard you get exactly, typically less featured ones, etc.

Dell typically skimp on power supply size and the number of connections plus they put drive cages in awkward spots. There is typically not a lot of room for expansion and upgrades.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

aphphoto
448 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 01, 2020 14:32 |  #2180

Nogo wrote in post #19139886 (external link)
Most people today use a website such as PC Part Picker (external link) to help figure out what parts to put in a computer. For a beginner, they have build guides. Just go through the builds and find the one closest to what you want and then customize it for your own needs as you see fit.

The pcpartspicker site is also useful for the fact that it lets you set up price alerts on the parts you've added to your list and shows you the price history so you know what is the best you can expect if you want to wait for the next sale. This site monitors Amazon, Best Buy, B&H, NewEgg, and others.
For those who may not know - a site called camelcamelcamel let's you do the same thing with Amazon. Add the item to your list and set a price threshold for Amazon, Amazon third-party, etc and camel will send an email when it drops to your target price.
As with any affiliate site they receive a small commission if you order through the link on your parts list or price watch list.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,308 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 15, 2020 10:25 |  #2181

I've enjoyed seeing everyone's computer build here and have learned much - thank you all. Now I need some advice regarding choice of a possible AMD CPU for a new build.

Earlier this year I was going to assemble a new machine from scratch. My current custom box is 8 years old although I've added various pieces and parts over the years to keep some things fresh. I like the occasional game but I'm not a big time gamer. Most of my work is Photoshop, some video, MS office and some streaming. I don't overclock and prefer to stay away from water cooling.

I've always gone Intel and was set to get the 9900K or even something faster but then AMD kept coming out with killer new CPU's at better price points that seemed to do much more if you can believe all the articles. They seem to have shot ahead of Intel especially since they support PCIe 4.0 while the former does NOT at this time. I understand it's strength is storage speed when dealing with large files. Perhaps I need to consider AMD with a more open mind.

What would you suggest for one of the higher end AMD CPU's, and do you see any potential disadvantages of going this route? I don't want to buy their most expensive model but I'm looking in the $400 - $600 range. Thanks in advance!;-)a

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,769 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited 16 days ago by EverydayGetaway.

Nov 15, 2020 11:53 |  #2182

sapearl wrote in post #19152393 (external link)
I've enjoyed seeing everyone's computer build here and have learned much - thank you all. Now I need some advice regarding choice of a possible AMD CPU for a new build.

Earlier this year I was going to assemble a new machine from scratch. My current custom box is 8 years old although I've added various pieces and parts over the years to keep some things fresh. I like the occasional game but I'm not a big time gamer. Most of my work is Photoshop, some video, MS office and some streaming. I don't overclock and prefer to stay away from water cooling.

I've always gone Intel and was set to get the 9900K or even something faster but then AMD kept coming out with killer new CPU's at better price points that seemed to do much more if you can believe all the articles. They seem to have shot ahead of Intel especially since they support PCIe 4.0 while the former does NOT at this time. I understand it's strength is storage speed when dealing with large files. Perhaps I need to consider AMD with a more open mind.

What would you suggest for one of the higher end AMD CPU's, and do you see any potential disadvantages of going this route? I don't want to buy their most expensive model but I'm looking in the $400 - $600 range. Thanks in advance!;-)a

AMD is eating Intel's lunch at this point. Intel was for sure the top dog up until arguably this year, but I would for sure go the AMD route now (even though I already did with Ryzen 3600 last year with absolutely no regrets).

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=5uWXfoX1x3A (external link)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=sdAEg_cd8Xk (external link)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,308 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 15, 2020 13:34 |  #2183

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #19152431 (external link)
AMD is eating Intel's lunch at this point. Intel was for sure the top dog up until arguably this year, but I would for sure go the AMD route now (even though I already did with Ryzen 3600 last year with absolutely no regrets).

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=5uWXfoX1x3A (external link)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=sdAEg_cd8Xk (external link)

Thanks for that quick response Lucas, much appreciated. That's the same idea I've been getting too from various articles. I'm really curious though: Intel is huge, and what the heck happened that they fell behind? It couldn't have been for lack of manpower or resources?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,345 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 15, 2020 14:12 |  #2184

sapearl wrote in post #19152468 (external link)
Thanks for that quick response Lucas, much appreciated. That's the same idea I've been getting too from various articles. I'm really curious though: Intel is huge, and what the heck happened that they fell behind? It couldn't have been for lack of manpower or resources?

It's not the first time, this is the third time that AMD has really trounced Intel,.

- The first time was less clear, but the AMD Athlons were offering at least the same power and speed as the Pentium III for about half the price,. that time period, and those sales are what gave AMD the ability to take the next step which put them waaay out in front.

- Which brings us to the biggy. The intel P4/Xenon/Rambus/serial​ized CPU disaster vs. the AMD Opterons. Intel was preaching narrower bandwidth at faster speeds,. The Opterons were going wide, offering 64 bit memory access, X2, and had far superior RAM and motherboard architecture. The p4 and related Xenons were literally pathetic compared to AMD with their crippled bandwidth architecture..

What's more puzzling than the question you ask, is how did AMD go from that position of being SO FAR AHEAD of iNtel to playing catch up for a decade thereafter?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,308 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 15, 2020 14:32 |  #2185

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #19152485 (external link)
It's not the first time, this is the third time that AMD has really trounced Intel,.

- The first time was less clear, but the AMD Athlons were offering at least the same power and speed as the Pentium III for about half the price,. that time period, and those sales are what gave AMD the ability to take the next step which put them waaay out in front.

- Which brings us to the biggy. The intel P4/Xenon/Rambus/serial​ized CPU disaster vs. the AMD Opterons. Intel was preaching narrower bandwidth at faster speeds,. The Opterons were going wide, offering 64 bit memory access, X2, and had far superior RAM and motherboard architecture. The p4 and related Xenons were literally pathetic compared to AMD with their crippled bandwidth architecture..

What's more puzzling than the question you ask, is how did AMD go from that position of being SO FAR AHEAD of iNtel to playing catch up for a decade thereafter?

That IS a really good question Jake. Sounds like they had all the tech ducks lined up in a row. Perhaps it was a failing of leadership, or even internal dissent on their long range strategic planning. Maybe conflict of vision? Total speculation on my part - we've seen it happen in corporations before.

Now I just have to decipher which level of power/price point I want to consider in the AMD offerings, compared to what I hoped to achieve with Intel. I'm sure there's a comparison matrix somewhere that will help me with my decision.

GEAR LIST

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,231 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Nov 22, 2020 20:12 |  #2186

sapearl wrote in post #19152393 (external link)

R9 5900x
with G.Skill Flare X DDR4-3200MHz CL14

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,308 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 22, 2020 21:44 |  #2187

Bobster wrote in post #19155963 (external link)
R9 5900x
with G.Skill Flare X DDR4-3200MHz CL14

Thanks Bob - I see they're going for around $549 at my local Microcenter when in stock. RAM looks like a great match too.

GEAR LIST

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,617 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Nov 22, 2020 23:33 |  #2188

It's like riding a bike. If you've done it before, it's actually easier now. A little while on YouTube and you'll be up to speed on the current offerings.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,231 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006
Post edited 8 days ago by Bobster.

Nov 23, 2020 09:28 |  #2189

sapearl wrote in post #19155985 (external link)
Thanks Bob - I see they're going for around $549 at my local Microcenter when in stock. RAM looks like a great match too.

No worries, fwiw AMD supplies all of it's review kits with G.Skill FlareX 3200 CL14, because it gives best results :)

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | Ultimate Lens MA FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,308 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 23, 2020 22:10 |  #2190

Bobster wrote in post #19156239 (external link)
No worries, fwiw AMD supplies all of it's review kits with G.Skill FlareX 3200 CL14, because it gives best results :)

Interesting about the G.Skill. I wonder if there's collaborative cooperation between the two vendors for peak performance or if that particular G.Skill is just a superior all around component?

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

635,393 views & 171 likes for this thread
What's Your Computer Build?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.