Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Sep 2008 (Sunday) 14:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's Your Computer Build?

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,124 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 14, 2012 13:46 |  #1456

Suggestions??
Basically like I said CS6 Web Premium, Lightroom, Wacom tablet, not sure on video software yet. Would like wireless built in to hookup the whole house.Dual monitors. No games, overclock etc.

silvrr wrote in post #15245001 (external link)
Unless you are wanting the ITX form factor you can get a much cheaper board if you go mATX or ATX. Espeically since it looks like you don't want to overclock with the non-K chip you can get a much, much cheaper board and still have all the connectivity you would need.

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

sponsored links
mzelmom
46 posts
Joined May 2012

Nov 29, 2012 23:12 |  #1457

My first build starts tomorrow with help of a friend. I got all the parts and I am ready to upgrade the 8 year old Dell. It should be a little different to say the least. I plan on getting a GPU as soon as I get the mail in rebate back. Black Friday was worth the wait. Or should I say Black Wednesday for Newegg. Here's what I got after much help from you all. (And I understand my psu is over kill, but great deal and was told good for the future)

CPU: Intel i5-3570k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-v pro
Memory: 16GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Hard Drive: 128GB OCZ vertex 4 os/apps 1TB WD black, 1TB WD green storage
Power Supply: Corsair HX750w gold
Case: Antec p280

-Matt

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,471 posts
Gallery: 178 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 30, 2012 10:39 |  #1458

mzelmom wrote in post #15306914 (external link)
My first build starts tomorrow with help of a friend. I got all the parts and I am ready to upgrade the 8 year old Dell. It should be a little different to say the least. I plan on getting a GPU as soon as I get the mail in rebate back. Black Friday was worth the wait. Or should I say Black Wednesday for Newegg. Here's what I got after much help from you all. (And I understand my psu is over kill, but great deal and was told good for the future)

Why do you believe the PS is overkill? What GPU do you plan to get?

Curious

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

taemo
Goldmember
1,243 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Nov 30, 2012 13:42 |  #1459

mzelmom wrote in post #15306914 (external link)

that's almost my editing rig

CPU - i5 3570 @ 4.0GHz
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MOBO - Asus P8Z77-V LX
RAM - Kingston HyperX red 16GB DDR3-1600MHz CL10 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 8GB)
Power Supply - Corsair HX750w gold
OS - Win8 Pro x64
Video - GTX 560 Ti 1GB
HDD OS - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
HDD storage - 1TB Seagate 7200rpm

I decided to go 2x8GB that way I can easily buy an extra 16GB
booting and overall performance is so smooth now.
might upgrade my HDD storage to 2TB next

earldieta.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - tumblr (external link) - gear/feedback
the spirit is willing but the body is sore and squishy
4 digital cameras | 14 film cameras

mzelmom
46 posts
Joined May 2012

Dec 01, 2012 09:31 |  #1460

That is nearly the same. All went well with build. I can't believe the difference. So fast and responsive, it is night and day with the old system. Now I don't have time to go make lunch when I start the computer. Now If I could just organize it well and keep it that way all will be great.

I have read lots of posts that said 500w would be plenty for set-ups similar. But like I said I got a great deal and was told by a buddy to go bigger so I did. I am not sure on GPU. I don't game at all but who know. I was thinking of Gtx 560 or 650. But I'm gonna wait til I get my rebates. However after seeing my friends two 24" monitors my priorities might have changed, since this old LG 22" now looks terrible and small. LOL

-Matt

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 01, 2012 22:33 |  #1461

I want a twin monitor set up as well

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

marty32
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 04, 2012 16:30 |  #1462

I'm a first-time builder and wondering what you thought of this. I do LR, PSE, maybe PS at some point but no gaming. I'm looking for something that will be useful for 3-5 years.

Case - NZXT Switch 810; could go with a Corsair Graphite 600T White (mid) but open to suggestion
MoBo - Asus Sabertooth X79
CPU - i7 3930 not overclocked, at least not yet
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 MHz; is low profile recommended?
GPU - EVGA nVidia GTX 650 Ti
PSU - Corsair HX 750W
SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB for OS, Programs
HD - WD Black 2 TB, for pictures, data
Optical - Asus DVD R/W 24X, 24B3ST/BLK/AS
OS - Win 7 64-bit Pro; do I get the full or the system builders? Not sure about Win 8.
Monitor - Dell U2713HM but I won't be getting that for awhile

Without the monitor, it's about $2058. No liquid cooling until I overclock. I bench marked against a Digital Storm rig, a company I really like, which would be about $600-$800 more including a 3-year warranty. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Marty

silvrr
Goldmember
2,736 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 04, 2012 17:12 |  #1463

Any reason for going with the X79 platform and the 3930 chip? That is quite a bit more moolah for not a lot of gain. Unless your constantly batch editing I don't think youll see much peformance difference between the 2500K, 2600K, 3570K, 3770K lineup and your choice. If you do stick with the 3930K youll need a CPU cooler as it does not come with one.

See this for a comparison of intel chips in lightroom. (Keep in mind that that is editing ~100 photos in a batch. If you generally single edit photos the changes won't be nearly as noticeable.)
http://www.behardware.​com …7-3770k-and-i5-3570k.html (external link)

Low profile mem is only needed to clear a CPU cooler. Choose it depending on your CPU cooler.

The GPU will offer you little to no benefit if you plan to use lightroom and elements. Lightroom won't touch it. I don't believe elements will either. Photoshop will utilize it for certain tasks but not all, see if your workflow applies. Also Adobe isn't supporting the GTX 6XX series of cards yet officially, I haven't read up yet on if they work and if so, how well. With the 3930K you will need a GPU with the 2500K, 2600K, 3570K, 3770K you don't need one. A much cheaper GPU will handle all the tasks you need though if you want a discrete GPU.

EDIT:
Looks like the GTX 6XX series will work.

Here is some benchmarking for CS6
http://www.pugetsystem​s.com …-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-161 (external link)

and here is a description of what is accelerated and how it works.
http://helpx.adobe.com …gpu-faq.html#cs6_features (external link)

You can utilize a much smaller PSU given you will only have a single GPU. I would re-size it based on your final chipset and GPU selections. Something in the 450-550W range will be more than enough for most setups.

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

marty32
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Dec 04, 2012 19:10 as a reply to  @ silvrr's post |  #1464

Thanks very much Silvrr. Very useful. Should have checked Adobe.

I chose the X79 and the 3930 because I thought they would have the longest usable lifespan being among the newest. The 3770 and a Z77 MoBo were among my other choices; I was looking at the Asus P98Z77 Deluxe with the 3770. I have seen pros and cons about using a GPU. I'll probably get a less expensive one as per that link. I'll look into a different PSU as well. Thanks again.

Marty

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,124 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 04, 2012 20:41 |  #1465

Anyone out there see anything wrong with this setup?
No Games, Creative suite CS6, Lightroom 4.

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6811119196 (external link)

Thermaltake SMART M Series SP-750M 750W
http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6817153157 (external link)

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6813131819 (external link)

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6819116504 (external link)

G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3
http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6820231582 (external link)

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6835103099 (external link)

SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III
http://www.newegg.com …aspx?Item=N82E1​6820147188 (external link)

$798.17

Randy
Website (external link)

silvrr
Goldmember
2,736 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 04, 2012 21:36 |  #1466

cntry wrote in post #15327387 (external link)
Anyone out there see anything wrong with this setup?

Personally I would go for a much smaller PSU unless you plan to add a few video cards in the future. The CX430 from Corsair is about 1/3 of the price if you don't want a modular PSU. Even if you want a modular one there are options closer to your power draw. My 2500K pulls ~120W from the wall at full load with a similar setup and that 3550K should be a bit more efficient.

Storage drive? That SSD will fill up quick with photos.

Canon 6D l 24-70 f/4L l 100L l 430EX l 430EX II l Kenko Extension Tubes l Sigma 50 Art
flickr (external link) FeedBack

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,124 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 04, 2012 22:47 |  #1467

Thanks I'll look into that, figured that I wouldn't have to worry if I upgraded, there is also a $20 rebate on the psu and $10 on the case.
Forgot to mention, I will have 2 WD Caviar Black 1 TB HD's for storage and any other Programs.

silvrr wrote in post #15327593 (external link)
Personally I would go for a much smaller PSU unless you plan to add a few video cards in the future. The CX430 from Corsair is about 1/3 of the price if you don't want a modular PSU. Even if you want a modular one there are options closer to your power draw. My 2500K pulls ~120W from the wall at full load with a similar setup and that 3550K should be a bit more efficient.

Storage drive? That SSD will fill up quick with photos.

Randy
Website (external link)

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,886 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Dec 05, 2012 19:40 |  #1468

Do you think you could build a PC for much cheaper than one of the new i7 27" iMacs (IPS screen included)? I've always built my own PC's for years, but wonder if it would be any cheaper to do myself once a decent monitor is included (if there is one similar to the IPS on the iMacs). The iMac 27" with i7 and 8GB Ram and 1TB SATA would be about $2400 cdn.

EOS R - 50/1.8 STM - Sigma 35/1.4 Art - Sigma 85/1.4 Art - Sigma 14-24/2.8 Art - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Godox Xpro-C - Godox TT685C x2

Moppie
14,989 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Dec 05, 2012 22:02 |  #1469

drisley wrote in post #15331362 (external link)
Do you think you could build a PC for much cheaper than one of the new i7 27" iMacs (IPS screen included)? I've always built my own PC's for years, but wonder if it would be any cheaper to do myself once a decent monitor is included (if there is one similar to the IPS on the iMacs). The iMac 27" with i7 and 8GB Ram and 1TB SATA would be about $2400 cdn.

Here in NZ, the cost works out the same, sort of.
You can get a better spec monitor that uses the same panel (Dell 2711) and you can get more RAM and more HDD space over multiple discs, which also improves performance.
A single spinning disc can not read and write fast enough to run an i7 at 100% capacity for sustained processing.
You do have to choose some higher end parts to get to the cost of an iMac, but then why aim for this level of performance and cheap out on reliability.

I looked at buying an iMac or building my own when the Core 2 Quads came out.
The iMac at the time was still only Core 2 Duo (Apple stays behind the curve on CPU releases) and I when I worked it all out it was going to cost the same as a custom build, but that build would perform more than twice as well.

I went through that process again when the i7 iMacs came out, and again build cost was very similar, but this time performance would be closer.
Of course now I was also able to carry over my monitors from the last build along with much of my HDD set up, as well as the case and graphics card.
This meant the cost for a similar spec machine was MUCH less as I was basically just buying a board, CPU, RAM and PSU.

I have since also been able to upgrade both monitors, something you can't do with an iMac, and I've also upgraded all my storage drives and added 2 SSD's, again not possible on an iMac.
I currently run 6 internal discs, this means my photos are kept physically separated from my other data, which is separated from my OS and programs.
I also run an internal back up in order to minimize any downtime if one disc does fail, along with several external back ups.
This all means moving data between computers is also easier (encase of failure or upgrade) and I'm able to run the CPU at 100%.

The whole thing also runs very quietly, I have a nice case with good airflow.
I did a large batch the other day and it ran at 95-100% for 3 hours, yet none of the fans ramped up in speed and the CPU was never throttled back because it never got hot. Again, something an iMac is not capable of.

But, all of that is why this thread exists, because there are plenty of people who understand the advantages of a custom built computer, or who enjoy doing so as a hobby.
Even if the iMac was cheaper, I know I would still custom build. Cost isn't really the deciding factor.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Now more than ever we need to be a community, working together and for each other, as photographers, as lovers of photography and as members of POTN.

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

Dec 08, 2012 01:34 as a reply to  @ BamPhoto's post |  #1470

Older Computer built

Antec 900 Case
Asus P6T Motherboard
Asus Essence ST Sound Card
Cool Master V8 Heatsink
Intel i7-920 Bloomingfield Overclock @ 4.0
OCZ SSD 480GB for OS
2 x XFX ATI 7770 GPU
2 x WD 1T Black HDD
1 x My Book 1T External HDD
1 x My Book Live 2T (NAS)
G.Skill DDR3 Memory RAM 24GB
Corsair 850w PSU
Window 7 64 bits home premium (upgrading to Professional 7)

Dell U2711 Monitor
Acer 27" Monitor
Wacom Cintiq 24HD

Logitech illuminated keyboard
Logitech MX mouse

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8068/8228422389_69ff90c35e_b.jpg

sponsored links

623,151 views & 161 likes for this thread
What's Your Computer Build?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.